Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot purge unused text styles but can delete them

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
johnc1s
1574 Views, 13 Replies

Cannot purge unused text styles but can delete them

I have AutoCAD MEP 2012 and the ability to purge text styles has stopped working. When I run purge no unused text styles are ever listed. However I can go into the Text Style dialog and delete them so I know they are unused. Anyway to fix this?

Tags (2)
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
abubakars
in reply to: johnc1s

Is it possible to upload the problem file? you would get the quicker response from here rather than thinking of what could be the cause for this issue.

Message 3 of 14
johnc1s
in reply to: abubakars

I'm sure this isn't a file problem. ALL files do this. This is an AutoCAD problem.

Here is a test file. I have 5 text styles in this file that do not show up in the unused list when I purge. However I can delete them in the text style dialog.

I bet you can purge them.

Message 4 of 14
golf32902

Have you tried using this command line to purge? If not try that.

Here is the commands hit enter after each line change.

-pu

All

No

Message 5 of 14
johnc1s
in reply to: golf32902

Purging from the command line works. Thanks.

However it should show up in the purge dialog also, but doesn't. This is what I want fixed.

Message 6 of 14
golf32902

What do you have checked on the purge dialog.

purge.png

Message 7 of 14
johnc1s

Like this. Notice other things show up to be purged but no text styles. I normally have the "Purge zero length..." checked but it is grayed out.

Message 8 of 14
golf32902

I dont know why it would purge out your text styles using command line and not dailog box. I never use the dialog box to purge. I use the command line for everything.

If I where you I would try an audit to make sure that it wasn't my system / file, and then try restating. I have noticed that if I keep autocad up and running for over a week, system variables like to go all haywire on me. With a close autocad and restart, it fixes a lot of problems that I ran across.

Hope that helps.

Message 9 of 14
johnc1s

I shut down every day. I've audited and recovered many files (Most have no errors). No change.

Message 10 of 14
abubakars

I can see the text styles in purge dialog box and purged succesfully in AutoCAD 2014 with no issue

text style.PNG

Message 11 of 14
golf32902
in reply to: abubakars

I can purge it out on my system using ACAD2015, so This is why i think it may be a system variable that is holding it up. I will take a look this weekend and hopefully i can find something for you.

Message 12 of 14
golf32902

Try wblock your entire drawing. And insert it into a new drawing. Hopfully that helps.

Message 13 of 14
johnc1s

No good, ALL drawings exhibit this behavior. Even clean new ones.

Message 14 of 14
wkiernan

Recently I have had problems purging apparently unused text styles, which I solved in at least two occasions by using command-line purge to get rid of regapps:

-purge

R

Y

and then hit "Y" for each regapp you want to delete.  (Or alternatively if you follow the star with "N" it will delete them all at once, and it will still show you which regapps got deleted.)  When you start a new drawing, are you loading a template (.dwt) file?  Maybe it has regapps in it which point to otherwise unreferenced entries in the text style table; maybe you could figure it out by starting a new drawing and writing the drawing out as a dxf.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost