Did you mean: 

can't use Object Snaps

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Rieneke
4273 Views, 8 Replies

can't use Object Snaps

Hi there,

I really need your help. I'll try to explain my problem. (English isn't my first language, so please forgive the mistakes I make languagewise)

When I want to pick an object so I can move or copy it, I find it really hard to snap the object. The cursor keeps moving around the point I want to select, but doesn't select that particular point. If I accept that I can't select that point I want and pick one somewhere else, I even can't place the objects properly. It's as if AutoCAD doesn't want to recognise the object snaps. In rare cases I'm able to pick an object by it's object snap.... I don't understand what's happening.

I'm working in a drawing that contains xrefs and blocks.  I have a HP Probook 4540s. I'm using AutoCAD 2015.

I've tried to discover the problem, but I haven't found it yet. The object snap menu seems to be fine. I also removed all the xrefs from the drawing, but the problem isn't solved by doing that. Restarting my computer hasn't helped either.

Can someone help me please? I haven't come across something like this before. It's getting really annoying that I can't select or move objects properly.

Thx

Tags (1)
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
rkmcswain
in reply to: Rieneke

It sounds like SNAP is turned on (not Object Snap).
Type in SNAP, turn it OFF, any difference?
R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 3 of 9
PatrickHughes

You might also want to see if your grid (and snap to grid) is on.

I know many people do not like BLIPMODE turned on, but I find it useful as a visual indicator when picking points to confirm the proper point has been used.

Patrick Hughes

Engineered Design Solutions
Developer of CadTempo - Cad Time Tracking
www.cadtempo.com
Message 4 of 9
Kent1Cooper
in reply to: rkmcswain

@rkmcswain wrote:
Type in SNAP, turn it OFF, any difference?

Assuming that's the issue, SNAP is an optionally transparent command, so if you're in mid-command, you can type 'SNAP [with the preceding apostrophe] to change the setting without exiting the command you're in.  But better yet, just hit F9, which toggles it on and off.

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 5 of 9
rkmcswain
in reply to: Kent1Cooper

Kent1Cooper wrote: But better yet, just hit F9, which toggles it on and off.

98% (my guess...) of the time, that is probably true, but I suspect the chances that typing in SNAP will launch the core SNAP command are even higher, hence my choice.

F9 in this office will simply set the QUAD object snap, and I know there are other users out there who redefine the F keys. In hindsight, I probably should have said "type in ._SNAP" :-)

Tags (3)
Message 6 of 9
Rieneke
in reply to: rkmcswain

Thanks for you reaction. I've tried, but it doesn't make any difference 😞

Message 7 of 9
Rieneke
in reply to: PatrickHughes

Thank you for your reply
I've checked and it was turned on. I experimentented though by selecting 'polar snap' instead of 'grid snap' and now the problem seems to be solved. I don't understand why this works, but I'm glad it seems like the solution. I hope the problem is permanently solved now...
Thank you for putting me in the right direction
Message 8 of 9
rkmcswain

Glad it's working for you now. Check back if you run into anything else.

Message 9 of 9
RonMaurer

I think what you are dealing with is a drawing containing AEC objects. If you go to the original drawing and "EXPORTTOAUTOCAD" and save the drawing. Replace the original xref drawing with this one and you should be able to snap to the objects like normal.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost