Did you mean: 

Can't draw a line by entering coordinates

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
evantubbergh
14754 Views, 8 Replies

Can't draw a line by entering coordinates

I am having a problem drawing lines by entering coordinates. I only get perfectly horizontal and vertical lines. ORTHOMODE is off and I can draw at any angle I like if I do it graphically but I can't do it with manual entry.

???

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
ampster401
in reply to: evantubbergh

try disabling DYN, Dynamic Input, and see if that allows you to draw as expected.

Message 3 of 9
JDMather

Are you using absolute entry #x,y,z   (with preceeding # symbol)

or are you using relative entry @x,y,z  (with preceeding @ symbol) 

Can you attach dwg file that exhibits this behavior and

screen capture of F2 of your sequence?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 4 of 9
evantubbergh
in reply to: ampster401

There is only DYNMODE and DYNPROMPT so I set both to 0. No change.

If I use a # before the coordinates I get "2D point or option keyword required"

But even if it was doing something with relative coordinates I shouldn't get a horizontal line.

Also, sometimes when I hit enter to finish drawing the line the whole thing dissapears.

I must say I just had trouble with IMATCH that was insisting on relative coordinates. How do I disable that? Why would I get that when I have always been able to use absolute coordinates before?

@Anonymous wrote:

screen capture of F2 of your sequence?

Not sure, what is that? This is just a blank drawing. I need 2 lines in it based on a set of coordinates. The first line is 0,0 to 2306851,-9951.

Message 5 of 9
pendean

Post your DWG file, let's all have a look at what you are working with.
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous

I have just typed in your coordinates to draw the line.  When I typed 0,0 to 2306851,-9951 the line looks horizontal.  When I draw a line back from the end point across to the start point of 0,0 the line is infact at an angle and when I 'id' the points the coordinates are correct.  Could it be that the line just looks horizontal?

Message 7 of 9
JDMather

@evantubbergh wrote:

This is just a blank drawing.

I only get perfectly horizontal and vertical lines.

These are mutually exclusive statements.  You cannot have both a blank file and with  "perfectly" horizontal and vertical lines.

If you had attach your dwg here with the first post - you would have had your solution given in first response.

Using the coordinates your supplied - I get a line at an angle of 0.24715° from "perfectly" horizontal.

Just out of curiosity - what are your intended units?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 8 of 9
evantubbergh
in reply to: JDMather

@Anonymous wrote:

These are mutually exclusive statements.  You cannot have both a blank file and with  "perfectly" horizontal and vertical lines.

Not really. If you take a new, blank drawing and then draw lines in it you will get what I was trying. I could have uploaded a new, blank drawing but it's easer for you to press press Ctrl-N.

Thanks TashaCAD, the angle is completley off so obviously the coords are wrong. I couldn't zoom very well so I missed it entirely. Thanks for taking it back to basics.

Thanks TashaCThanks TashaCADA

Message 9 of 9

I followed your advice about inputting coords, it solved the problem I was having when trying to ALIGN objects.

Thanks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost