Community
AutoCAD Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I use the same CUIX files for both AutoCAD 2014 and 2015?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
dplumb_BWBR
566 Views, 3 Replies

Can I use the same CUIX files for both AutoCAD 2014 and 2015?

For... well, forever, we've used the same menu files for multiple versions of AutoCAD.

We've always upgraded when the DWG format changes (2007, 2008, 2009...2010, 2011, 2012...2013, 2014,and 2015?) but the "minor" upgrades have always let us use the same menus.

Now, however, once Ive installed 2015, I get an error in 2014 saying "The customization file you are attempting to open is invalid"

But it doesn't tell me what file or what part of it is "invalid"

I assume they mean my User.cuix file (might be nice if they would tell me that), but I've unloaded all of the Partial Customizations from that and I've even copied in a known good users.cuix. Still get the error.

Any ideas? Is this even caused by 2015, or has something else gone corrupt?

Are there any lof files that might give me a clue?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
M_Hensley
in reply to: dplumb_BWBR

I have never had much luck trying to use the same CUIX for different releases. Sometimes it works, but sometimes the newer version will change it and make it quit working with the older version. I have found its just easier to have a different CUIX for each version.

Message 3 of 4
nestly2

Commands and tools change from version to version so its unlikely to work well. I suggest putting your customizations in your own custum cuix and load that on top of the default cui. The migration tools should import your customizatioms automatically.
Message 4 of 4
pendean

CUIx files can be shared, but from lower version up, never the other way. That's why your attempt never worked.

It's considered best practice to create your own custom CUIx menu file and ADD it to the core menu so that you don't lose newer features added to newer versions.

Oh, and if you are hoping to suddenly make a lower version get a feature a higher version has then that ain't happening ever 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost