Community
AutoCAD Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I select an object on the screen and then change the layer settings?

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
claimed4all
525 Views, 12 Replies

Can I select an object on the screen and then change the layer settings?

I would like to be able to pick an object on the screen, including an item within a xref and then have a dialog pop up to change the layer settings for the layer the object resides on. I want to be able to change things like color, linetype, VIEWPORT color and so on.  Is there application or routine I can run to make this happen?

Right now when I am in a viewport, I will find an object I forgot to color override.  So I will use an "-xlist" command to find the xref layer.  From there I bring up my layer manager and type that name into the search field and then override the color.

I am just looking for a way to greatly speed up this process.

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
1Fabricator
in reply to: claimed4all

After selecting object, pick the 'properties' tool button; and you'll be able to change several properties listed.

Message 3 of 13
drjohn
in reply to: 1Fabricator

+1 with 1Fabricator.

If you dock the properties panel (I keep mine parked on the left of my screen) when you select an object/entity, in the properties panel you can set layers and linetypes and alotta other stuff there.

Makes the screen a little smaller but then that's why they gave us the ZOOM function.

HTH

Regards,

DJ

Message 4 of 13
SteveChestnut

I agree with 1Fabricator.

Cilck on the Properties icon to open and dock the Properties dialog box.

Leave it open and docked.

As you work anything you select has its properties displayed in the dialog box.

It is amazing all the changes you can make through this dialog box.

Also at the top of the box is your Quick Select options.

Quick Select allows you to select by property and then add or remove from your selection.

Quick Select is a very handy tool.  Play with it sometime.

I tell my people here that the Properties box can be your friend.

Regards,

Steve

Message 5 of 13
claimed4all

I understand that, be the properties panel is not what I am looking for.

I want to select an object and then change the layer properties for the layer.

So for layers within the drawing, I pick an object, set that layer to current, open of the Layer Manager and then change the setttings.  For xrefs I have to perform an "-xlist", remeber the layer name, open the Layer Manager, find that layer, then change the properties.

The issue I have is I work in the Civil word, and after a couple of xrefs I can easily have 2-4,000 layers to scroll through.

I want to change the properties on a Layer level, not on the object level.

Message 6 of 13
SteveChestnut

OK - I see now.

You can get it down to 2 steps if you leave your Propereties box and your Layer Manager open & docked.

Select an object - look at the layer it is on in the Properties box - modify that layer's properties in the Layer Manager.

(It is not necessary to make a layer current in order to modify its properties)

Hope this helps.

Message 7 of 13
1Fabricator

Sorry, I misunderstood. Select the object and use Properties to learn its Layer. Then go to 'Layers' to do your editing.

Message 8 of 13
claimed4all

That is a method I currently use, I was looking to speed up this process greatly with a better method.

Message 9 of 13
1Fabricator

The only other trick I can think of is to use 'Match Properties'. And if you don't have an object like that in your current drawing; then Copy & Paste an object from another drawing, to match from. Then, once they're in your drawing, you're all set. Hope this helps.

Message 10 of 13
nestly2

When using the Properties Pallete, you're only changing the properties for the object(s) that are selected.  The OP wants to change the layer settings for the object that's selected.

AFAIK, there's no way to do that with existing tools, perhaps with some custom programming?

Message 11 of 13
1Fabricator
in reply to: nestly2

Sorry, I omitted a critical step. The revised layer needs to be renamed.
Like Object1.
Message 12 of 13
dgorsman

Bit of a sideways step: look into layer filters and layer states.  The former can help quickly trim down the list of layer names and the latter can mass-apply layer settings.  It takes a little more work to deal with XREF layer states but if they are logically named its not too bad.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 13 of 13
3wood

You can try attached LAYER.vlx.

There is a command LSC inside it which is able to change layer color of selected nested object to current drawing color, no matter it is in a xref or not.

Refer https://sites.google.com/site/cadkits/home/layer for more usage. But it is not able to change linetype property of the layer.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost