AutoCAD 2013/2014/2015

AutoCAD 2013/2014/2015

meshleman
Message 1 of 21 (4,929 Views)
Accepted Solution

Can I replace the DWG to PDF.pc3 with Adobe's PDF printer for batch plots?

4929 Views, 20 Replies
01-04-2013 12:23 PM

I am batch plotting a large drawing set using publish and I have run into a surprising glitch. When I print each sheet individually using the "Adobe PDF" printer, the lines look nice. But when I batch plot using the "PDF" publish setting (which I have figured out uses the "DWG to PDF.pc3" file as its basis), many of the lines appear as a very faint gray until zoomed in on. This might sound like a minor concern, but it is distracting enough that I cannot use the file as it is.

I have ruled out pen styles being to blame (when zoomed in and when printed, the PDFs are identical). Instead, I believe the pc3 file is producing a file with graphics that are somehow inferior to those produced by the Adobe PDF printer. I have even saved a pc3 file from the Adobe PDF printer and renamed it "DWG to PDF." To my surprise, this did resolve the problem when I printed an individual sheet with the pc3 file as the plotter, but when I tried the full batch plot it came up with an error and abruptly stopped. I suspect this is because the "PDF" function in publish is more sophisticated than simple printing and cannot be rerouted as easily.

If I try to batch plot using "Plotter named in page setup", with the Adobe PDF printer selected, I have to save each sheet individually. My drawing set is too big and I'll be printing it and editting it too many times to be saving each page individually. If anyone knows a way to edit the DWG to PDF.pc3 so that it avoids this problem, or a way to batch plot with the Adobe printer that avoids saving each individual sheet, I would be eternally grateful.

The generally reliable fix for issues with Autodesk's  PDF printing is to Publish to DWF, then use Acrobat to print the DWF file to PDF.  It's an extra step, but so far  it's been the most reliable way I've found  to workaround  PDF problems.

As a rule, I use a specific pagesetup (named DWFit)  with different offsets for the DWF plotting/publiishing.  Just using the DWF over-ride magic button seems to always result in missing borders.... YMMV

My intent is to email the pdf to our client, so the apparent gray really is an issue. It does look like JGerth's suggestion of first printing to DWF and then using the Adobe printer does fix the problem and only adds one extra step, which definitely beats a slew of saves. Just to throw it out there for anyone else having this problem, I also just found another solution similar to JGerth's by opening the faint pdf in Acrobat and 'printing to pdf' with the Adobe printer.

I attached a screenshot of my DWG To PDF PC3 setting, just in case there is something that raises a red flag. If there isn't anything that jumps out to anyone right away, I'm satisfied with JGerth's workaround as a solution.

Thank you everyone for the input-- I'll be printing this drawing set many more times in the future and this will ultimately save me a huge chunk of time.

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 2 of 21 (4,910 Views)

Re: Can I replace the DWG to PDF.pc3 with Adobe's PDF printer for batch plots?

01-05-2013 07:09 AM in reply to: meshleman
PUBLISH can use any printer/plotter/3rd party PDF or whatever driver you want, it just needs to be defined in each layout or the top template or a pre saved pagesetup as the default device.
If you just wish to use the magic buttons on the PUBLISH command popup you are stuck with the Autodesk provided PC3 files.
Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
meshleman
Message 3 of 21 (4,895 Views)

01-07-2013 05:26 AM in reply to: pendean

Thank you for your reply-- it helps to know that I can't add to the magic buttons, but I'm afraid my problem still isn't resolved. I already have the Adobe PDF printer selected as the plotter in each sheet setup, but the problem with this is when I do a batch plot, I have to save each sheet individually, which pretty much defeats the purpose of batch plotting.

It seems like there would be two ways to solve this: (1) Editting Autodesk's DWG to PDF.pc3 file so that it has the extra graphics functions that the Adobe PDF printer has (or whatever needs to be adjusted so that the lines are black and not faint gray), or (2) editting the Adobe PDF printer settings so that it automatically saves each PDF to a location, or better yet to a single file, without a prompt.

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 4 of 21 (4,886 Views)

01-07-2013 05:59 AM in reply to: meshleman

By using a 3rd party driver, paper or PDF or any other format, you lose the built-in "magic button" feature of creating one single file with all the sheets in it. Your 3rd party driver is where you want that feature to be available, AutoCAD cannot add it. Sorry.

Editing the DWG to PDF.PC3 file is there: whether it has the added abilities you wish or not you'll have to experiment and find out. "faint lines" has either to do with the simple display of the PDF reader and is not reflective of actual paper print of the PDF, or it is a plot style setting (you've ruled out on your own with no review here).

Share a "faint line" PDF file from the DWG TO PDF.PC3 file and someone here will gladly render an opinion as to the cause, it should be very obvious.

Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
meshleman
Message 5 of 21 (4,882 Views)

01-07-2013 06:27 AM in reply to: pendean

I am viewing both PDF's with the same reader, with the same settings, so I do believe the difference is in the files themselves and not the reader. In comparing the PC3 file with the Adobe PDF printer settings in the Plotter Configuration Editor, I see that the PDF printer has two extra categories within its graphics section- Vector Graphics and Raster Graphics. My hunch is that this might be why there is a difference in the end product.

I'm not really familiar with editting PC3 files-- I did try saving the Adobe PDF printer as a PC3 and renaming it "DWG to PDF.PC3", but that resulted in a magic button error-- so any guidance on what to experiment with would be helpful. I attached a portion of one my drawings to demonstrate the faint effect. Thanks again.

*Expert Elite*
GrantsPirate
Message 6 of 21 (4,873 Views)

01-07-2013 07:17 AM in reply to: meshleman

You will need to post a small portion of your drawing otherwise it will be a back and forth that may never yield an answer.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
If something I wrote can be interpreted two ways, and one of the ways makes you sad or angry, I meant the other one.
meshleman
Message 7 of 21 (4,868 Views)

01-07-2013 07:26 AM in reply to: GrantsPirate

I had attached two samples to my last post. Maybe they were too large-- here are two smaller samples that still display the differences. Let me know if they're not showing up on my post for some reason.

*Expert Elite*
GrantsPirate
Message 8 of 21 (4,857 Views)

01-07-2013 07:31 AM in reply to: meshleman

We will need a .dwg file not the PDF.  Need to see what plot style might be assigned, lineweights, if there is transparency, and on and on, easier to trouble shoot if we have the actual file.  We don't need all the graphics, just a few lines of each.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
If something I wrote can be interpreted two ways, and one of the ways makes you sad or angry, I meant the other one.
*Expert Elite*
JGerth
Message 9 of 21 (4,857 Views)

01-07-2013 07:35 AM in reply to: meshleman

The generally reliable fix for issues with Autodesk's  PDF printing is to Publish to DWF, then use Acrobat to print the DWF file to PDF.  It's an extra step, but so far  it's been the most reliable way I've found  to workaround  PDF problems.

As a rule, I use a specific pagesetup (named DWFit)  with different offsets for the DWF plotting/publiishing.  Just using the DWF over-ride magic button seems to always result in missing borders.... YMMV

meshleman
Message 10 of 21 (4,850 Views)

01-07-2013 07:51 AM in reply to: GrantsPirate

Here is a small portion in DWG.

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.