Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I really not remove zoom from UNDO?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
GPSJane
1608 Views, 7 Replies

Can I really not remove zoom from UNDO?

I have been searching for how to remove zoom and pan from the UNDO list. Why on earth would they design something like that with no option to not have it? I just want to cry every time I need to go back and undo one thing but I have to sit through all my movements, as if they were important! Then I can't find where I just was because it moved me!

I am so frustrated right now.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
kasperwuyts
in reply to: GPSJane

Slight comfort: Consider the fact that just undoing without the zoom function might remove things you would never notice because you would never see them being changed back on screen.

One very limited option you have is using the OOPS command to redraw the last thing you deleted from the drawing.

Another option (which you probably have enabled anyway) is to combine consecutive zoom/pan commands as a single undo action. This can be activated in the Options window under the user preferences tab. Unfortunately, this option doesn't seem to work in some files, whether is activated or not. I have never fully explored as to why this works in some drawings and not in others. It probably has to do something with the autocad version the drawing was created in.

Best regards
Kasper Wuyts

I suspect you already have the following setting configured as shown here

combine-zoom-and-pan-commands.png

There is also a known issue where doing a one or two things causes the Undo list to grow by the hundreds or maybe even thousands of entries.

Not sure if this is what you're seeing maybe?

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 4 of 8
GPSJane
in reply to: rkmcswain

Thanks for the replies. Yes I have that enabled and I still don't like it. Honestly I sometimes select things incorrectly from out of my view and then I go the place to look, then I undo there but it undoes the pan.

I am sure some people find it useful but I would find it more useful if I could turn it off! And by the posts I read from several years ago up until recently, so do many other people.

Aaargh!

PS I doubt I have the issue with a long list, rather I move around alot.

Message 5 of 8
scot-65

I'm a little bit old school and still use the keyboard to zoom in instead of the mouse wheel. It helps me figure out how many undo's to do using zoom as the reference point.

Scot-65
A gift of extraordinary Common Sense does not require an Acronym Suffix to be added to my given name.

Message 6 of 8
tcorey

I'm with you. I would like to see an option to exclude zoom/pan operations from the Undo list and I think this would be a very popular enhancement among the AutoCAD user community.

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 7 of 8
dgorsman
in reply to: tcorey

Might be possible with a plug-in:

- save a temporary viewpoint

- execute the undo steps

- restore the saved viewpoint (and probably delete it as well)

Getting the feature into (or rather, removing viewing from the undo method) the core program might require some major skeletal surgery.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 8 of 8

Please everyone vote for the ZOOM/PAN improvement to be added in future releases:
https://www.augi.com/wish-list/rank/autocad/463137
And share the link to every user you know!

Update: The request has reached the Top 30!
Now please everyone vote inside the Top 30 in order to have the issue corrected in future releases:
https://www.augi.com/wish-list/vote/autocad

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost