Did you mean: 

Cad standards - scales

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
ksorsby
296 Views, 3 Replies

Cad standards - scales

Evening,

I'm charged with formalising our cad work here and am looking at the Cad Standards commands. Text/dimstyles and layers aside, I need to manage the annotative scales we use. I have a complete set of correct scales for annotative objects which work great but some users insist on creating their own scale names (ie. instead of using '1:100' they might create 'Bobs 1:100m drawing 324 only') which kind of ruins things.

My question is, where can I apply the correct scales as a 'standard'. I can reset them manually of course, but that's be a world of pain.

Any ideas?

Kevin

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
steve216586
in reply to: ksorsby

As you stated, the standards tools only check the dimstyles such that names and properties of dimension styles in a drawing match those in an associated standards file. There is not much you can do with the scales used in conjunction the dimstyles you define. Especially since it is easy to add scales with SCALELISTEDIT command. You can always try the mostly unsuccessful approach that there would be some sort of repercussion for the creation of these scales. Mostly you have to just let users be users and allow them to create custom scales if they don't diminish the quality of the work. But continue to discourage it verbally or through red-line comments when there is a clear and noticeable difference in quality from what is expected, and that which is produced.

I fight the "scroll scale" trolls here at work, almost every day. Their text and annotations vary from page to page, let alone project to project. It drives me nuts to see text noticeably larger than "normal" and then turn the page and need a magnifying glass.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. "-Eleanor Roosevelt
Message 3 of 4
dgorsman
in reply to: ksorsby

There is some LISP code out there for automatically adding and removing annotation scales, which is useful.  The problem is that automating the removal of said scales from the individual objects is difficult to impossible - its like trying to automatically purge out a linetype thats assigned to an object inside a block, inside another block.  So the best you can hope for is to automatically provide that correct list along with instructions to not add anything and keep the list current with whats needed.

If its not too much of a bother for your checking process, you could create a custom report which provides a list of scales in the drawing and ask/demand that it is included in the first or last round of checking as part of QA/QC.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 4 of 4
ksorsby
in reply to: dgorsman

Thanks Steve and dgorsman, I suspected as much. The place is a QA mess so that's why we're going down the cad standards route. Looks like I'll have to try the heavy handed approach - violence! 😉
Kevin

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost