5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Oli
Enthusiast
1812 Views, 5 Replies

Borrow License to off Network PC

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone might know a way to sovle a License issue for me.

Essentially at work we use a single network license server, ocassionaly when we have to take work home we borrow a license on laptops, unfortunatly instead of a nice laptop I have a rather large desktop, which would mean a cab in & home from work to borrow a license.

Is there was a way where I could borrow a licence, on a netoworked machine, export it and then inport it to my PC at home without having to bring it in on the network?

is this a Crazy idea? 

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
pendean
in reply to: Oli

You ha ve to be connected to the server to borrow a license: set up a VPN oor other connectivity from home to do it or you need to talk to your IT/CAD manager about getting permission for a home-install instead.
Message 3 of 6
dgorsman

Keep in mind that your home PC may not have access to supporting files like blocks, code, tool palettes, XREFs, and the like, so its not just a matter of getting a license.

Don't be in such a rush to bring work home.  It sounds like a good idea up front but there's a number of factors to carefully consider:

- your IT and/or management may not like a non-company PC having direct access to company files, as a simple bot infection could expose your company to liability

- difficulty in assessing actual vs. stated billing time

- creates the impression that you are always available outside of work hours

- artificially shortens schedules below actual typical timelines

- creates a competetive atmosphere where others are forced to choose between family time and work to keep up with others who aren't similarly restricted

- without direct access to the company network, its just as easy to leave it at home as with hard copies

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 4 of 6
Murph_Map

As long as you have internet connections you can use the Licenses Transfer Utility .

LicTrans.PNG

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 5 of 6
ukdxb012

I know people have already made some suggestions but Have you considered Autodesk Remote? http://www.autodesk.co.uk/products/remote/overview

Other than that, you need to speak to whoever is your Contract Manager for Autodesk products within your company and apply for a HULA license... http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/How-to-...

Alternatively, ask your IT department for a laptop.

Duncan Brannan
UK/EMEIA CAD Operations Manager
Twitter | LinkedIn

Message 6 of 6
Oli
Enthusiast

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your amazing response!

pendean

- sadly VPN is't an option due to security [joy]

dgorsman

- What you say is very true - I;ve managed to get all of my support files onto a360 so its all syncable 🙂 and as for working hours I claim them back leiu sometime timelines get moved up so the theory is to save me from coming in. but it totally appriaicte the not taking your work home sentiment

Murph 

- I'll have a go and see what happens!

Duncan Brannan82

- I think remote would be out due to external security worries 

- HULA licenese might be worth a good look!

Thanks again guys!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost