Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Borrow License option for stand-alone installs

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
jonmcfarlandGY
972 Views, 4 Replies

Borrow License option for stand-alone installs

We rencently upgraded our systems to either AutoCAD 2015 or AutoCAD LT 2015.  On machines that the software was installed from that system, there is no issue.  On machines that the software was installed through a deployment, there is a Tools > License Borrowing > Borrow License option.  All systems were upgraded with the Stand Alone option and the Product License Information dialog box shows the License Type as Standalone-locked.   Selecting the Borrow License option has no apparent affect and the AutoCAD Text Window just shows another Command prompt afterward.

Is there a reason that this would happen and are there any ramifications?

Thanks,

Jon

Please select "Accept as Solution" if your question was answered
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
ukdxb012
in reply to: jonmcfarlandGY

Hopefully I have understood you correctly.

You cannot borrow a Standalone license from a Standalone install as the license is already present locally on the workstation and doesn't require connectivity to a Network License Manager where you would need to borrow the license for out of office use where there is no connectivity to obtain the license in the first place. Borrowing a license means taking a license from the central license manager for a limited period, thus taking a license from a pool of licenses and then putting it back in the pool when you have finished with it.

Duncan Brannan
UK/EMEIA CAD Operations Manager
Twitter | LinkedIn

Message 3 of 5
jonmcfarlandGY
in reply to: ukdxb012

Hi Duncan,

Thank you for the reply.  We are not trying to borrow any licences; we have a license for every system that ACAD is installed on and don't use/need a license manager.  My question is: Why do we have that option, given that it was a standalone installation?  This only occurs on machines where the install was done through a deployment and not on the machines that the installation was done by an administrator sitting at the keyboard.  Why do the users have the ability to borrow a license when their ACAD is already up and running.  I'm concerned that this may inject an instability into the system and may require a reinstall.

Any suggestions?

Jon

Please select "Accept as Solution" if your question was answered
Message 4 of 5
ampster401

I'd be curious if in fact the deployment was setup correctly as a stand-alone install - but I have no experience setting up deployments so who knows.

You might have better luck in the Licensing and Installation forum;

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/installation-licensing/bd-p/24

Message 5 of 5
ukdxb012

Having not dealt with standalone installs in a long time I can only presume that Borrow License is standard functionality installed with AutoCAD despite installing this as an install or deployment image unless you can confirm that the install done via the install method does not include the feature.

In a Deployment Image you get the option for either a standalone install or Network. I cannot recall what the options are for just a basic install of AutoCAD. Deployment Images are much easier as you create the install once, apply your settings in the image and then use the same install on each machine by just running the same image rather than having to visit each machine individually to install AutoCAD with a series of instructions to follow to make sure they are all consistent. This can lead to mistakes and inconsistent installs.

I wouldn't worry about the Borrow license feature, I would simply inform your user base that the function will not do anything as everyone has standalone installs.

I personally don't believe you will have any issues with this function included, AutoCAD should work as you expect.

If your happy to install AutoCAD to every single user following a list of instructions via an install rather than deployment image that doesn't show the borrow license feature then I would suggest you install it using this method.

Hope that helps.

Duncan Brannan
UK/EMEIA CAD Operations Manager
Twitter | LinkedIn

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost