Blocks compability between autocad and other sofwares

1 REPLY 1
SOLVED
Message 1 of 2
ludovic.ernst
195 Views, 1 Reply

Blocks compability between autocad and other sofwares

Hi,

Is the element BLOCKS full compatible with other software than autocad? The elements BLOCKS appear in the DXF file format than I think yes but I'm not sure.

My question is really to know if it's full compatible. For example, if I draw a BLOCK in autocad, will I can import it to Mensura (a survey DAO software)? In Mensura, will the BLOCK have all the same propreties than in autocad (for example: the layers, lines type, text type,...)? And what's about the compatibility if the BLOCK has attributs (for example: attibute flags, attribute tag, text height, ...)?

Thank's for your attention and for your time 😉

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
jggerth1
in reply to: ludovic.ernst

Fundamentally, that's up to the other application, as to what it can read/understand/use from a DXF file.  Autodesk supplies the DXF format as a interoperability or translation format, and it's documented so that other parties can write translators to additional file formats or otherwise utilize the data.

No warranties are expressed or implied, but it's a good bet that a block definition imported via DXF to another application will only be as usable or reliable as the receiving software makes it.

If you other application utilizes the OpenDWG format as its native file format, you'll probably have decent results -- of course AutoCAD does NOT write OpenDWG format files,so there's still some translation that will happen.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost