AutoCAD 2013/2014/2015

Valued Contributor
stevecee
Message 1 of 18 (1,699 Views)

Block will not update

1699 Views, 17 Replies
09-20-2012 05:35 AM

I have a block in a drawing that will not update after re-insertion of the updated copy of said block (Wait, does that make sense?)

Scenario:

Floor plan with the room as a block. I go to the actual block drawing and edit it. I then try to re-insert it into the existing drawing, but the drawing still uses the same block that was originally inserted.

I would love to blame this on our IT guy (he isn't worth a plug nickel), but somehow, I think that would be difficult at best.

Arrrrrrgh! (I know, that was yesterday)

^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^
°°AutoCAD Rel 1 - 2014°°

For when the One Great Scorer comes
To write against your name,
He marks-not that you won or lost-
But how you played the game.
Grantland Rice
*Pro
murray-clack
Message 2 of 18 (1,697 Views)

Re: Block will not update

09-20-2012 05:57 AM in reply to: stevecee

Have you tried using the Block Editor? (command BEDIT).  You shouldn't have to reinsert it once you go into the block via the block editor, make your changes, and then save and exit the block editor.

Valued Contributor
stevecee
Message 3 of 18 (1,694 Views)

09-20-2012 06:01 AM in reply to: stevecee

Yes, I have used the block editor, but that only edits the 1 instance of the block, I want to edit the block itself, as it will be used on other drawings as well. I want the same block in all of the drawings. What I did do, was use the block editor, delete the old block, opened the correct version and inserted that.

The logic of doing it that way escapes me.

°°AutoCAD Rel 1 - 2014°°

Grantland Rice
*Pro
murray-clack
Message 4 of 18 (1,691 Views)

09-20-2012 06:09 AM in reply to: stevecee

Ahh.  It sounds like you are not using XREFs.  If you want the same block/drawing to appear in other drawings and have  them update, then you should attach the flor plan drawing file into other drawings as an XREF.  When you make changes to the floor plan drawing and save it, then you will be prompted in the other drawings to reload the xref so show the latest changes

Valued Contributor
stevecee
Message 5 of 18 (1,686 Views)

09-20-2012 06:23 AM in reply to: stevecee

Never had to use xref's before and the block would update. That being said, my customer won't accept drawings that use xref's.

So, unless this is a 2013 issue that will be fixed (one can only hope), I'm stuck with taking the long route.

°°AutoCAD Rel 1 - 2014°°

Grantland Rice
*Pro
murray-clack
Message 6 of 18 (1,682 Views)

09-20-2012 06:34 AM in reply to: stevecee

"Never had to use xref's before and the block would update."

I honestly find it hard to believe that a block definition/drawing file would automatrically update in other drawings if xrefs weren't involved.  

"That being said, my customer won't accept drawings that use xref's."

That's very short-sighted of your customer.  I always manage to convince my customers that it would take hours manually updating each drawing file whereas using an xref would only take as long as it took to reopen the other drawings files.

"So, unless this is a 2013 issue that will be fixed (one can only hope)"

I don't think it's an issue with 2013.  Given what you have said, it makes more sense that an xref is being used across al other drawing files.  XREFs have been around since R11 (1990-ish) and they work exzctly as they are designed to do.  Theonly think I can think of is that there is a step in the process that you haven't provided here which would help fill in the gap.

"I'm stuck with taking the long route."

If you are dead set against using XREFs, and you have to update other drawing files that need an updated version of a floor plan in another drawing file, then you can use the Design Center to update the floor plan block for each drawing.

Valued Contributor
stevecee
Message 7 of 18 (1,676 Views)

09-20-2012 06:49 AM in reply to: murray-clack

It won't automatically update in other drawings without opening said drawings and re-inserting the block (at least it used to work that way). Can I assume that you have never tried to re-insert an updated block into an existing drawing? This is what I see when I try to re-insert an existing block from the file location and not within the drawing itself (see attached).

I'll make sure to let the Department of Homeland Defense know that they are shortsighted (not that it will come as a surprise).

The drawings I do are stored in a "repository" were many people have access to them. Trying to use xref's and store everything properly within that repository would be impossible.

Once again, I believe that this is an issue with 2013, as it has worked with previous releases. (known to work in 2011 without fail)

°°AutoCAD Rel 1 - 2014°°

Grantland Rice
*Pro
murray-clack
Message 8 of 18 (1,674 Views)

09-20-2012 07:07 AM in reply to: stevecee

Ok, now I am getting the big picture now.

Back in the day, before xrefs, I used to do what you are attempting.

What if you tried setting the system variable EXPERT to a value of 2?

*Expert Elite*
drjohn
Message 9 of 18 (1,671 Views)

09-20-2012 07:26 AM in reply to: murray-clack

Back in the day, didn't AutoCAD have a way to insert a block and redefine it  in the drawing by the  insert command followed by an equals symbol ("="). Is that option still there?

Anyway, if you have the block in the drawing it will not redefine unless you rename or purge the existing block unless someone pipes up with the answer to the question I posed about forcing redefine of the block.  AutoCAD will protect the drawing and not allow a block to be re-inserted if there is a block of the same name. But then you knew that didn't you?  :smileywink:

Regards,

DJ

*Pro
murray-clack
Message 10 of 18 (1,668 Views)

09-20-2012 07:33 AM in reply to: drjohn

You are right on all accounts.  I remember using INSERT=, but when xrefs came along, I never used it again.

The only other thing I can think of is maybe you are using a custom routine that someone developed for your older version of AutoCAD, and 2013 is not configured to automatically load the routine?

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.