AutoCAD 2013/2014/2015

AutoCAD 2013/2014/2015

Valued Contributor
stevecee
Message 11 of 19 (508 Views)

Re: Block will not update

09-20-2012 07:36 AM in reply to: murray-clack

Chaing the Expert setting seemed to make the difference. I'll have to check it through a few more drawings to see if that really cured it.

Thanks!

^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^-^
°°AutoCAD Rel 1 - 2014°°

For when the One Great Scorer comes
To write against your name,
He marks-not that you won or lost-
But how you played the game.
Grantland Rice
Valued Contributor
stevecee
Message 12 of 19 (508 Views)

09-20-2012 07:38 AM in reply to: drjohn

Apparently it will allow it. Changing the Expert setting allowed me to update the drawing with the revised block. :robotwink:

°°AutoCAD Rel 1 - 2014°°

Grantland Rice
*Pro
murray-clack
Message 13 of 19 (504 Views)

09-20-2012 07:42 AM in reply to: stevecee

Oh good!

To take it a step further, you can record a macro of the steps you are taking to reinsert the block, and then simply play it back in the other drawings to make the process go a little quicker

***cough***unless you use xrefs***cough***

Actually, one of our Canadian government doesn't like xrefs either, but we use them anyway, and when it comes time to submit the drawings to them, we simply bind them

Valued Contributor
stevecee
Message 14 of 19 (494 Views)

09-20-2012 09:49 AM in reply to: murray-clack

Yeah, the xref's would be nice. But thinking of the other people that access these drawings I'm afraid they would be totally lost when it comes to using xrefs.

I've got one idiot that changes the units on every drawing he touches. He likes to set the units to Architectural (even on block wiring diagrams). He also creates a viewport even though the entire drawing is in model space.

Oh the crosses I have to bear. ;-)

°°AutoCAD Rel 1 - 2014°°

Grantland Rice
*Pro
murray-clack
Message 15 of 19 (489 Views)

09-20-2012 10:04 AM in reply to: stevecee

Preaching to the choir, sister [air snap]

We had a international multi-disciplined job (started before I joined the company) and it was such a mess because they WEREN'T using xrefs (or real-world geo-referencing) that no two drawings knew what the other was doing.  It was a nightmare.  One example is that the length of a wharf was shortened, and because the eelctrical guys weren't using xrefs, they had extra lamp poles they didn't know they needed to remove.

My idiots are so stupid (how stupid are they?) they are SO stupid that they:

- Explode Dimensions and Leaders

- Explode MText

- Explode Blocks

- Explode Hatch Patterns (need I say more?)

This one guy had to add another line of text to an existing general note in one of my drawings, and instead of double-clicking on the piece of MText, or even using the DDEDIT command, he actually created a SEPARATE piece of text and placed below the existing!  That's bad enough, but he actually went out of his way to create that separate piece of text using a different text style, different height, different colour, AND on a different layer.  It stuck out like a sore thumb when plotted.

Now, I will say, even with the most simplest of drawings, I always insert a title-sheet in paperspace, cut a viewport, and plot because:  a) it keeps every format and envirnoment consistent, and b) if using the sheet set manager, you have no choice but to use layout tabs.

Mentor
Yorx57
Message 16 of 19 (485 Views)

09-20-2012 03:08 PM in reply to: stevecee

I believe that the problem is that you are trying to re-insert a block that is already defined within the drawing.  If you try to re-insert the block and look at your command prompt history (or hit F2 if you have the command prompt turned off) you should see a *warning* that will say something to the affect of: "Duplicate Block <name> Definition Ignored"  (I don't remember the exact wording off the top of my head :smileyhappy: )  I don't know if there is a setting to override this and prompt you if you would like to re-define it?  The only way I know of to get around this is to physically delete the block from your drawing, do a purge to remove the block definition, and then re-insert the block.

Valued Contributor
stevecee
Message 17 of 19 (478 Views)

09-21-2012 04:12 AM in reply to: murray-clack

I have no doubt a lot of us could write some good CAD horror stories about some of the buffoons that use this software. It probably would be a best seller amongst us only though.

°°AutoCAD Rel 1 - 2014°°

Grantland Rice
Contributor
Norrisc761
Message 18 of 19 (428 Views)

10-05-2012 01:25 PM in reply to: stevecee

I'm a little late to the party here, but if you use DesignCenter to insert the new version of the block you can simply redefine it (without even reinserting it).

naysh3
Message 19 of 19 (48 Views)

11-04-2014 02:30 PM in reply to: stevecee

Hello valued Autodesk contributor!

Just a few quick things...

1.) Take it easy on your IT guy, it's likely not HIS job to know the in's and outs of the application you're using, it's propbably YOURS!  :smileywink:

2.) You should be able to explode any block in the drawing with the same definition, purge and reinsert.  Viola!

Let me know if that helps...

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Do you have 60 seconds to spare? The Autodesk Community Team is revamping our site ranking system and we want your feedback! Please click here to launch the 5 question survey. As always your input is greatly appreciated.