Did you mean: 

Block Attributes Do Not Show

19 REPLIES 19
SOLVED
Message 1 of 20
Light_Guy
42134 Views, 19 Replies

Block Attributes Do Not Show

We recently updated our office to 2014 ACAD and are now testing 2015. One thing I have noticed for both is that when I try to add an attribute to an existing block, the only place I can see it is in the block editor. Once I save and exit the block editor, it acts like it was never there. Double click to bring up the attribute editor and it does not show in there either. What am I missing??

This block was inserted into the drawing. On that drawing I need that block to have another attribute. I don't want to modify the original drawing the block was made from as it gets used in other places where this extra attribute is not required.

Paul Hamor
"Always good ships!"
19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20
steven-g
in reply to: Light_Guy

Run the Attsync command, this should update any existing blocks in the drawing

Message 3 of 20
Light_Guy
in reply to: steven-g

Thanks StevenG, never had to do that before, they just showed up automatically.

Paul Hamor
"Always good ships!"
Message 4 of 20
hassanian

I get the same roblem as some others when updating / changing the drawing template / border some of the att. do not come through and never appear.

Tried Reset Block, Insert & reset, Battman, Attsync , OLEFRAME , etc..

Message 5 of 20
steven-g
in reply to: hassanian

Ignore this

Message 6 of 20
murray-clack

For future reference, remember the system variable ATTDISP (ATTribute DISPlay)

There are three settings (keep in mind attributes can be defined to be displayed or not):

NORMAL - displays attributes to display how they were defined

ON - makes all attribute values display even if they were defined to not display

OFF - makes all attribute values NOT display regardless how they were defined

Message 7 of 20
ashafaq
in reply to: murray-clack

Thank you very much!

That little comment pupped up all of the attributes that I was trying to show them for hours.

Message 8 of 20
tfkiiza13

All these commands are not making a difference, am using AutoCAD 2019. Attribute shows up in block editor, its not invincible, ATTDISP is ON, i've ran ATTSYNC, nothing. still black block. Please advice. Thanks

Message 9 of 20
cadffm
in reply to: tfkiiza13

Upload a sample.dwg and we can tell you what the problem is.

Layer or visiblestates o dynamic blocks, perhaps.

- Sebastian -
Message 10 of 20
tfkiiza13
in reply to: cadffm

Hi there, here's the block am working on, there's a "1" inside as an attribute thats not showing.

Thanks

Message 11 of 20
cadffm

?

I see one blockreference WITHOUT a attributevalue.. "1" is the (unlucky) TAG (=Name) of this attribute.

Select the blockreference and fill in a attribute value and you will see where the attribute is.

And re-think about your block base-point.

181120-1.JPG

- Sebastian -
Message 12 of 20
doty1021

Hi all,

I am using CAD 2019. 

I've tried ATTSYNC, BATTMAN, RESET THE BLOCK. However, the attribute text is still not showing.

dyamic block file is attached. 

Can anyone help? Appreciate!

Attribute block.PNGAttribute block_block editor.PNG 

Message 13 of 20
cadffm
in reply to: doty1021

Without going deeper, regardless of the current problem, this is the wrong way.

Use ONE Attributdefinition and if you need this one in multiple visibility states, then ADD  THIS Attributdefiniton to your v.state,

do not create multiple objects (for every v.state one) if you want just this one.

The explaination of your problem.. is to much work for me / for a block which isn't well designed (in my eyes).

If you need different positions, use MOVE-parameter actions

- Sebastian -
Message 14 of 20
nathan.derover

I just went through this and it ended up being a problem that the text style of the attribute was annotative.  Since the block (in my case, a revision triangle) was scaled up for modelspace, the annotative scale didn't match the viewport scale.  I changed the text style to a non-annotative style, saved the block, and ran ATTSYNC and everything showed up just fine.  Just a thought in case someone else runs into this.

Message 15 of 20
sigurmartin
in reply to: murray-clack

GREAT tip!!! I have only run into this issue a couple of times. In my case, ATTDISP did the trick. Thanks!!!

Message 16 of 20
smail.boubaya
in reply to: sigurmartin

If you are in a dynamic block you may need to check the visibility states of your Attributes.

Message 17 of 20
martinaodiete

I was in your situation too and nothing helped as i ran all commands and it was not invincible. Try to note the layer it is in especially when you copy a block you did not create. My layer was just turned off

Message 18 of 20

God, you're helpful. 🤗

Message 19 of 20
faggcallum

I've found that if the block you are editing has previously been brought into the drawing then the updated version will not appear "updated" until you purge the previous version out. 

- update the block 

- purge command 

- select the blocks drop down and tick the specific block you're editing

- purge that block from the drawing

- import the newly updated block.

Fingers cross for success. 

Message 20 of 20
donald

when you're in the block editor, if you click on your attribute and look at the properties, make sure VALUE is not blank. If it's blank, the attribute will disappear when you exit the block editor. This fixed my issue.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost