Did you mean: 

Block attributes disappearing

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
JeffCamarena
11374 Views, 13 Replies

Block attributes disappearing

I have some blocks with attributes, with the default of some of the attributes being blank. When I try to transfer the block to my Tool Palette, the block loses the attributes that have blank defaults. Why are these attributes disappearing from the block?

Thank you,

Jeff

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
heinsite
in reply to: JeffCamarena

The short answer is that the attributes shouldn't disappear. 

Be sure that you have created the blocks and attributes properly.  It doesn't matter if you leave the default value in the attribute definition blank or insert %%... both will work.  But you do need to insert the blocks in the originating drawing, test them to ensure they work, and then save the drawing.  At this point you can select and separately drag the blocks onto a Tool Palette. 

If you've done all of this properly it will work.  I suspect you missed a step somewhere.  I have attributed blocks in all sorts of tool palettes.

Dave.

------------------------------------------------------
Dave Hein, P.E.
Message 3 of 14
Charles_Shade
in reply to: heinsite

ATTSYNC as well may need to run if the Block is Redfined

Message 4 of 14
JeffCamarena
in reply to: heinsite

The block attributes still disappear when using a blank default, but, using "%%" for the default works. The attributes stay connected to the block.

Thank you,

Jeff

Message 5 of 14

Glad that worked but interesting as heinsite stated. Never seen that behaviour here with an Atrrib and a blank default.

Would you mind posting a sample Block?

Message 6 of 14

Attached is a dwg with a dynamic block with attritbutes containing "%%". If you see anything strange in the definition, please let me know.

Thank you,

Jeff

Message 7 of 14

Each Attribute must have a unique Tag. Though the %% may be working to hide this issue the Tags for each of these Attribs need to be different. Maybe TYP1, TYP2, etc. will work for you. If you decide you need to Move or Rotate these through Dynamic Actions they will fail because of the naming convention you have.

Ultimately for the Block to work properly this will need to be done.

When you open this in the Enhanced Editor the commonly named Attribs show as Red and are; surprisingly, editable.

Message 8 of 14

I did not realize that. After reading that the attributes need individual tags, it makes a lot of sense. Thank you.

Thank you,

Jeff

Message 9 of 14
H_survey
in reply to: Charles_Shade

i am trying to copy from one dwg to another but it is failed , but this problem is facing me in two files only, while the others are acting normally..

any solution ? 

Message 10 of 14

my attributes still don't show after I make it a block. Does the block I'm attaching the attributes to have to be dynamic?

Rhonda K
Message 11 of 14

@Rhonda.KennedyXV46B Show your work please, share your DWG with the block/attribute in it.
Message 12 of 14

I am not authorized by my company to share this drawing

Rhonda K
Message 13 of 14

then share another one 😉

>>"Does the block I'm attaching the attributes to have to be dynamic?"

No!

You need ATTDEF (Properties invisible=No and constant=No)

Insert a new Blockreference and it should work.. and for older Blockreference of this block: User ATTSYNC to update the Attributes

- Sebastian -
Message 14 of 14

thank you, 🙂 

Rhonda K

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost