Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blank drawing created on startup is replaced by 1st drawing opened

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
kstate92
3079 Views, 14 Replies

Blank drawing created on startup is replaced by 1st drawing opened

I've been using AutoCAD 2014 for about a month now, but I finally noticed the thing that has been bugging me for a while.  I start AutoCAD 2014 via desktop shortcut that includes my profile and also features /t acad.dwt.  The program starts up and creates a new drawing (Drawing1) based on the acad.dwt template file.  If I then open an existing dwg file, such as from the recent list, AutoCAD will open the file I specified next to the first empty Drawing1 file, but then the Drawing1 file is automatically closed, leaving just the file I opened!  Subsequent openings of files don't show this behaviour (replace instead of open); just the first open on startup.  I usually leave that initial blank file open to keep the full menus, so it's pretty obvious when I close what I subconsiously think is my second file, only to see no files remaining open.

I probably have something odd loading that is causing this, but not sure where to start.

KState92
Inventor Professional 2020
AutoCAD Mechanical 2022.0.1
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit - 1903
Core i7-8700 32 GB Ram
Quadro P2000
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
Patchy
in reply to: kstate92

Sounds like the SDI is set to1, type in SDI and change to zero.

Exit autocad and restart.

Message 3 of 15
kstate92
in reply to: Patchy

@Patchy wrote:

Sounds like the SDI is set to1, type in SDI and change to zero.

Exit autocad and restart.

Command: sdi

Enter new value for SDI <0>: *Cancel*

Already at 0.

KState92
Core i7-8700 32 GB Ram
Quadro P2000
Message 4 of 15
sthompson1021

Hi, what you are describing is normal behavior. The only way to keep drawing 1 open that I know of is to make a change in it before you open another file. You don't have to draw anything, all you have to do is pan once and then you can open another file. When you go to shut down autocad you will be prompted if you want to save drawing 1.

Message 5 of 15
kstate92
in reply to: sthompson1021

@sthompson1021 wrote:

Hi, what you are describing is normal behavior. The only way to keep drawing 1 open that I know of is to make a change in it before you open another file. You don't have to draw anything, all you have to do is pan once and then you can open another file. When you go to shut down autocad you will be prompted if you want to save drawing 1.

I also have AutoCAD 2010 installed and start with the same /t acad.dwt switch.  When I open a second drawing, the first (Drawing1) - which I've done nothing in - remains open.  This is why 2014 felt 'different' until I realized the specifics.  Maybe I'm somehow 'dirtying' the 2010 Drawing1 that isn't occuring in 2014.

Again, not a deal breaker; just weird.

KState92
Core i7-8700 32 GB Ram
Quadro P2000
Message 6 of 15
kstate92

Hmm.  I am changing something in 2010 but not in 2014.  Create a new drawing in 2014 then immediately close it: no save warning.  Create a new drawing in 2010 then immediately close it: Save before closing dialog.

'User error'. Again.

KState92
Core i7-8700 32 GB Ram
Quadro P2000
Message 7 of 15
sthompson1021

I don't think it's "user error". I do think that the program changed. I have 2013 and 2014 installed and I get the same behavior in both programs, but I do seem to remember that you used to have to close drawing 1. I know that there have been posts on how to keep drawing 1 from being created.

Message 8 of 15
rick.hberg

Just a shot in the dark...

Do you have any acad.lsp and/or acaddoc.lsp running in 2010 that you don't have in 2014?

You can type (findfile "acad.lsp") and (findfile "acaddoc.lsp") at the command line to check - include the parentheses.

If you have routines running that are essentially modifying the drawing, it will give you the save dialog (it could also be routines added to your appload>startup suite in 2010).

Regardless of whether you do or don't have those routines running in 2010, you can always create one for 2014 that will effectively stop the auto-replacement of drawing1.  But let's see if you already have one running in 2010 first...

Civil 3D 2014
Windows 7 x64
Message 9 of 15
kstate92
in reply to: rick.hberg

@rick.hberg wrote:

Just a shot in the dark...

Do you have any acad.lsp and/or acaddoc.lsp running in 2010 that you don't have in 2014?

You can type (findfile "acad.lsp") and (findfile "acaddoc.lsp") at the command line to check - include the parentheses.

If you have routines running that are essentially modifying the drawing, it will give you the save dialog (it could also be routines added to your appload>startup suite in 2010).

Regardless of whether you do or don't have those routines running in 2010, you can always create one for 2014 that will effectively stop the auto-replacement of drawing1.  But let's see if you already have one running in 2010 first...

I'm certain it is along these lines you suggest (hard to keep track of all the customizations you do over the years), but both are only pointing to the same network acaddoc.lsp.  I thought I'd found the difference in the Startup Suite in 2010, but removing that lsp entry and restarting made no difference to the 2010 Drawing1 still being altered (save prompt on closing).  Must be someting else I'm missing.

KState92
Core i7-8700 32 GB Ram
Quadro P2000
Message 10 of 15
rick.hberg

Perhaps you can try this little code below.  The only thing it does is set ucsfollow to the currently given value of ucsfollow...so it doesn't actually change anything as far as you are concerned.  The database will (I believe) see it as a modification just because you set something.

Anyways, just put it in a .lsp and drop it in the startup suite. It should then auto-load and run for you, forcing the save dialog to pop up on drawing1 when you try to close it.  Seems like most users typically want the opposite...close drawing1 without the save dialog; but hey, whatever works.

hope it helps. 

(defun MyDbMod ( / *error*)

;;error handler
	(defun *error* (msg)
		(princ (strcat "\n MyDbMod error: " msg))
		(princ)
	)

;;set ucsfollow to....ucsfollow (no real change)
	(setvar "ucsfollow" (getvar "ucsfollow"))

);;end defun
(MyDbMod) ;run the mystartup function above
(princ)

Civil 3D 2014
Windows 7 x64
Message 11 of 15
kstate92
in reply to: rick.hberg

@rick.hberg wrote:

Perhaps you can try this little code below.  The only thing it does is set ucsfollow to the currently given value of ucsfollow...so it doesn't actually change anything as far as you are concerned.  The database will (I believe) see it as a modification just because you set something.

Anyways, just put it in a .lsp and drop it in the startup suite. It should then auto-load and run for you, forcing the save dialog to pop up on drawing1 when you try to close it.  Seems like most users typically want the opposite...close drawing1 without the save dialog; but hey, whatever works.

hope it helps. 

(defun MyDbMod ( / *error*)

;;error handler
	(defun *error* (msg)
		(princ (strcat "\n MyDbMod error: " msg))
		(princ)
	)

;;set ucsfollow to....ucsfollow (no real change)
	(setvar "ucsfollow" (getvar "ucsfollow"))

);;end defun
(MyDbMod) ;run the mystartup function above
(princ)

Actually, I don't mind no save prompt when closing the 1st blank drawing.  What I don't really like is that Drawing1 is automatically closed when a second drawing is opened; the rationale behind that action completely escapes me.  I mean, I have the program startup and open a new drawing for a reason; that reason is not for it to be closed without my input when I open a second drawing.

KState92
Core i7-8700 32 GB Ram
Quadro P2000
Message 12 of 15
rkmcswain

@kstate92 wrote:

Hmm.  I am changing something in 2010 but not in 2014.  Create a new drawing in 2014 then immediately close it: no save warning.  Create a new drawing in 2010 then immediately close it: Save before closing dialog. 

What you are describing is normal behavior.

When DBMOD = 0, the opening drawing will close without prompt (no need to prompt since no changes were made) when a second drawing is opened.

When DBMOD > 0, the opening drawing is not closed. If you try to close it, you will be prompted to save.

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 13 of 15
kstate92
in reply to: rkmcswain

@rkmcswain wrote:

@kstate92 wrote:

What you are describing is normal behavior.

When DBMOD = 0, the opening drawing will close without prompt (no need to prompt since no changes were made) when a second drawing is opened.

When DBMOD > 0, the opening drawing is not closed. If you try to close it, you will be prompted to save.

Yup.  AutoCAD 2014 DBMOD: 0, AutoCAD 2010 DBMOD:4

So I'm still changing something in new 2010 drawings.  I just wasn't sure if the default behaviour had changed from 2010 to 2014, but it sounds from this thread that it has not.

But I still don't get the point of automatically closing/replacing the first unchanged drawing when opening an existing drawing - especially when SDI = 0, unless it prevents something else from breaking (legacy or automation)?

KState92
Core i7-8700 32 GB Ram
Quadro P2000
Message 14 of 15
dgorsman

I could swear this behavior (closing the Drawing1.dwg file) was a frequent user demand in the past.  Something about not wanting to spend the time closing an additional drawing.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 15 of 15
rkmcswain

@kstate92 wrote: 

But I still don't get the point of automatically closing/replacing the first unchanged drawing when opening an existing drawing - especially when SDI = 0, unless it prevents something else from breaking (legacy or automation)?

I can't speak for Autodesk, but I can say that the vast majority of people prefer this behavior. There are countless threads on this topic here and on othe cad forums

My opinion....? I believe many people start up AutoCAD, then run the Open command to select a drawing in which to work. They have no interest in "Drawing1.dwg" so they expect it to not be there once "their" drawing opens.

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost