Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best CAD product to import & export dxf files

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
lkoenig
1310 Views, 7 Replies

Best CAD product to import & export dxf files

I'm looking for a CAD program that can handle importing dxf files for manipulation. I would also need to export cad file to Adobe illustrator or Adobe Photoshop (unless one of Autodesks programs allow for artistic manipulation such as adobe) and be able to be imported back into the CAD file if needed.

I ultimately need a 3-D CAD file object that has capability of having 2-D artistic effects made to it, to be able to export to a format for printing onto canvas material.

Does anyone know which (if any) AutoCad product can handle this?

Thanks! Lisa

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
pendean
in reply to: lkoenig

FWIW, the DXF file format is a moving target with no real inforceable standards: the ability to import relies heavily on whether the program that created the DXF file follows any set rules and if it is capable of generating a flawless file.
DXF files also come in many versions, so always getting the correct version for your software can be a challenge if the DXF file creator doesn't know it and is not generating a lower format for you to use.

If you have AutoCAD experience of any sort, download the free trial and experiment to see if it meets your need. Plain AutoCAD 2015 will do, you don't need any other variant.

If you do not have AutoCAD experience (it's too hard to just pick up on your own in a short amount of time) try sticking with AI (requires a lower version of DXF file) and create your effects there or in InDesign/Photoshop.
Message 3 of 8
ampster402

Although this may not help you make a decision, just be aware that the dxf file format is a proprietary Autodesk file format.

Any other software besides an Autodesk product is doing their best to make that dxf file readable in any software, but it doesn't always pan out that way. 

So not counting your requirements for artistic manipulation, any Autodesk product is the best for importing and exporting dxf files

Message 4 of 8
dgorsman

In addition to the other comments...

"Painting" isn't something that is done to a 3D object.  Your desired process of taking a 3D object, making artistic changes to it as a 2D image, then bringing it back into 3D for further manipulation isn't something that can be done.  The process you are describing actually involves rendering the 3D objects with appropriate materials, lighting, textures, and so on to an image file (PNG, TIFF, etc.) and using image editor software to make changes to that image.  You can't "unrender" an image back to a 3D object.

AutoCAD and AutoCAD-related vertical products can do basic rendering with limited settings.  Navisworks Simulate can also do rendering from a wide variety of source formats but has limitations which aren't much better than AutoCAD.  Dedicated visualization software such as 3DSMAX and Maya provide the highest level of production with an associated steep learning curve.  There may be other products with similar processes, such as Inventor, Revit, or Fusion 360, which provide alternatives which bear exploring.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 5 of 8
lkoenig
in reply to: ampster402

The .dxf file is coming from the software the developer of the product uses. I'm not able to disclose details, but I'm trying to artistically add a "skin" of sorts to the 3-D object - like say, a photo. Illustrator or photoshop would only be used to manipulate the photo. Is there a way to have prepared photo added to AutoCad 2014 and do a controlled wrap on only certain faces of the 3-d object? - Lisa

Message 6 of 8
pendean
Message 7 of 8
lkoenig
in reply to: pendean

Thank you - I will see if I can get this to work - I'll let u know if I can!
Message 8 of 8
mathewkol

As stated before, there is a lot to learn in 3DS. Often, a 30 day trial won't be enough to learn on your own what you need. It's very possible that you may not be able to get the software to do what you need it to, but someone who knows the product may be able to do it quickly.

Use the trial, but I would recommend that you find someone with the knowledge to show you the ropes if and when needed.
Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost