Best 3D printer to use with AutoDesk

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
swilder
3964 Views, 8 Replies

Best 3D printer to use with AutoDesk

Hi,

I can't seem to reply to a question from my previous post without my answer posting as a new reply. So, here is my question with the additional information.

What is a good 3D printer setup to use with AutoDesk at the high school level. Our students are on a 1:1 HP tablet with Windows 7 OS. We are looking at MakerBot. Any suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
pendean
in reply to: swilder

Autodesk is the company name: which exact software are you using that you wish to tie to a 3D printer?
Message 3 of 9
swilder
in reply to: pendean

CAD unless there is a better one. This is an introductory high school enrichment-so I am looking for a general CAD application.
Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone
Message 4 of 9
JDMather

@swilder wrote:
..... I am looking for a general CAD application.

Now I am confused?  Are you looking for both a 3D Printer and a Computer Aided Design (CAD) software?

There are many different 3D printers and many different CAD softwares.

Maybe a little more information about your design inent would help generate best recommendations.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 5 of 9
swilder
in reply to: JDMather

We are looking at the MakerBot 3D Printer (5th gen-either MakerBot or mini) and are looking at CAD software through AutoDesk because we currently use Certiport to certify high school students in Microsoft Office which also has an option to certify in AutoDesk CAD. I am still researching this part to see if it is only certain CAD programs through AutoDesk, but mainly our goal is to have a design lab where students learn to use CAD and then can print their design with a 3D printer. We are hoping to gear our projects more towards objects that can be printed and sent to communities in need. I don't really know how to be more explicit than that.

Thanks.

Message 6 of 9
dgorsman

There's actually a few more steps on the mountain that you're climbing than you realize.  CAD software, whether Inventor, SolidWorks, or an AutoCAD product is used to design objects.  Those objects are exported in a format which can be read by the 3D printer.  So the actual choice of software to use with which printer is mostly irrelevant.  What is far more relevant is the *type* of object being printed, as different printers use different methods and materials which are more or less suited to different object shapes.  Some won't do voids, some do sharp corners better than others, some are much more expensive when making larger objects.  Some will only work with soft temporary plastics, while others can also use highly durable materials.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 7 of 9
swilder
in reply to: dgorsman

Suppose we wanted to print basic musical instruments to send to an elementary school in Africa?

Is there a printer that is more general in nature that would print more of a variety of objects? We are a high school that is just getting started with the 3D printing phenomenon. 

Thank you.

Message 8 of 9
JDMather

@swilder wrote:

Suppose we wanted to print basic musical instruments to send to an elementary school in Africa?

I read that as "whistles".

1. Autodesk has many different CAD products that are free to schools (and students over the age of 13) http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity 

For general purpose work (architectural, civil, mechanical) I would recommend AutoCAD.

For more specific work (architectural OR civil OR mechanical) I might suggest Revit, Civil3D or Inventor.

For whistles (mechanical) I would therefore recommend Autodesk Inventor.

2. There are even more choices for 3D printers, and this is significantly related to how much money you have to spend.

You have cited a low-end solution so I will also make some low-end suggestions.

Very small build envelope (consider your material costs - think of purchasing color ink cartridges for your home printer, the printer is essentially free when compared to the cost if ink).

3D Systems Cube

slightly larger

XYZPrinting .com davici

Dimensions uPrint

Stratasys

But also Autodesk is set to release their own 3D printer soon (my bet is that it will be avialable at AU in Dec).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 9 of 9
swilder
in reply to: JDMather

Thank you!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost