Did you mean: 

Benefit of a Slide List and Slide Library

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
mjk289
511 Views, 6 Replies

Benefit of a Slide List and Slide Library

I'm investigating the use of slide shows in AutoCAD.  I never knew about this feature before.  

I'm looking at an example in Sham Tickoo's book, Customizing AutoCAD 2013.

Here is what the script file to run the slide show example looks like in the book.

Vslide sldshow1 (front)

Delay 2500

Vslide sldshow1 (top)

Delay 2500

Vslide sldshow1 (rside)

Delay 2500

Vslide sldshow1 (3dview)

Delay 2500

Vslide sldshow1 (isoview)

Delay 2500

Rscript

where sldshow1 is the name of the slide library and the slides are saved in a file called sldlist.

My question is, how is this better than doing it without the slidelib utility?

The script file would simply be as below.

Vslide Front

Delay 2500

Vslide Top

Delay 2500

Vslide Rside

Delay 2500

Vslide 3dview

Delay 2500

Vslide Isoview

Delay 2500

Rscript

I have a feeling that for this example it is not better, but there might be a better use for a slide library.  

I really appreciate comments.

Tags (1)
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
pendean
in reply to: mjk289

Slides are on the way out in AutoCAD: be careful you don't paint yourself into a corner in the future.

May I ask what is the final deliverable intent is with this feature that you want to use?
Message 3 of 7
mjk289
in reply to: pendean

It's in a book. That's all. Moving onSmiley Happy

Message 4 of 7
james_moore
in reply to: pendean

slides are on their way out... and yet there's a ton of slides embedded in .slb files in AutoCAD Electrical.

Much of the menu system is built on slide libraries; yet there's no reference I've been able to find for their contents.  I would like to be able to customize menus without re-inventing the wheel, please?  Would it really be that difficult to build us a simple utility, delivered with ACAD, that does more than just compile slides into a library?  Please?

Message 5 of 7
TerryDotson
in reply to: james_moore

Would it really be that difficult to build us a simple utility ... that does more than just compile slides into a library?

Such a tool exists (SlideMan 2.0), but it's not supplied with AutoCAD.

Message 6 of 7
james_moore
in reply to: TerryDotson

Thanks… I did run across this and suppose it’s my only option.  For what little I’m going to use it, it’s not worth it.  I’ll download the trial and see if I can get what I need out of that.

I’m just frustrated that .sld and .slb files have been an option in ACAD since probably 1986 or earlier, yet Autodesk has provided so little to work with in that area.  For crying out loud, the program has expanded 10,000% over the years to include so many options and tools, but this seemingly simple image-storage option has remained virtually untouched.  It stinks that I’ll have to purchase something separately to do what ACAD should have internalized a long, long time ago

Message 7 of 7
james_moore
in reply to: james_moore

well, I got the filenames out of the slide libraries, and have plenty of free runs still available with the trial.  So far so good, but it didn't get me the names I wanted.  It seems ACE is doing some inner code thing, because the menu item I'm looking at uses a call to s1(WIRELABEL_red) for the image... yet there are no "wirelabel" items in the the s1.slb library at all!  Guess I'll have to do what I want the old fashioned way and make my own .png images.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost