Did you mean: 

Autostack Bug 2015?

17 REPLIES 17
SOLVED
Message 1 of 18
Pfilc
758 Views, 17 Replies

Autostack Bug 2015?

I've noticed a change in initiation of autostack in 2015.  In previous releases any character immediately following the fraction would cause autostack.  In 2015, only special characters are (i.e. letters are not).  Am I by chance missing a setting or new variable?

2014:Capture1.JPG

2015:Capture2.JPG

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
pendean
in reply to: Pfilc

Works fine here in, looks like you have the autostack turned off as well as leading blank turned off too.

Highlight a 'wrong' fraction, right-click, and select STACK from that pop-up, then select the stacked item, right-click and enter Stack properties to turn it on (plus any other settings you want).
Message 3 of 18
Pfilc
in reply to: pendean

No, Autostack is definitely on.  Below is an example (in the same drawing).  When inch mark is used, it stacks...does not without.

Capture3.JPG

Message 4 of 18
pendean

Ha! you are typing it differently than I am and from your example which has " inches markers: a space after the fraction creates the fraction too, if there is no space before the x there is no fraction.

Same way it works in 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010 and so on.

Try again, this time actually match your 2015 with your 2014 sample, don't forget those inches tag.
Message 5 of 18
Pfilc

In previous releases any character immediately following the fraction would cause the stack.  So in 2014, putting an "x" right after the fraction made it stack.  In 2015, that's not working for me.

Message 6 of 18
pendean

Your 2015 sample doesn't match your 2014 sample: no inches mark shown.
When it does match then 2015 will look exactly like your 2014 sample automatically: what you asked you wanted.

If you want to change topics that's fine, but first confirm what you initially asked for does now work (since your screen shots did not match initially because you typed two different text).
Message 7 of 18
nestly2

I see exactly the same behavior, in exactly the same way phil described in the first post.

My 2014 will AutoStack any fraction regardless of the character that immediately follows the fraction..

My 2015 will only AutoStack if the character immediately following the fraction is a <space> or some other special character such feet/inches designator.

Message 8 of 18
pendean

Very likely my EE friend, I just wanted to confirm with the OP (see original screen shots from 2014-2015) that if the OP replicated what they typed in 2014 it would be no different in 2015. That was and still is the focus if my replies.

They can then report the proper flaw (your findings) to Autidesk at the proper website (not here).
Message 9 of 18
nestly2

Open 2015 and start MText...   Now enter 1/2x  no special characters, no spaces.  Do the same in 2014.  Same result, or different?

Message 10 of 18
MissBianca
in reply to: nestly2

Hi,

I'm having the same problem as the OP. In 2012 (my previous version) anything I typed after any fraction would autostack. Now I have to enter 'number, forward slash, number, space, backspace, X' to get the same result that 'number, forward slash, number, X' would get me previously. MTEXT behaves the same. In a program where time is of the essence, this is a pita.

There's got to be a system variable somewhere that can get this back to how I used to have it?

Any help is appreciated!

Message 11 of 18
KarenMason
in reply to: MissBianca

This was an intentional change made in AutoCAD 2015 to prevent the problem when auto-stacking when entering a date such as 3/26/15.    We also had users complain that we shouldn’t auto-stack when entering  text such as:  USE SPECIAL TORQUE WRENCH 14/345b WITH PUMPS 813/7-31 and 813/7-46.

I’m sorry that this change isn’t working for you.  We’ve received very few complaints about this change, but we will continue to monitor this issue.

As you have already figured out, we do auto-stack when you enter a Space and most special characters like the inch mark.  Does entering a Space after the 1/2 change the meaning in your work?   I can create the text like this in AutoCAD 2015 by using the Space key after the 1/2.  [Note:  I also have the "Removed leading blank" checked in the AutoStack Properties dialog], so I type HSS <space> 3 <space>1/2 <space x <space>3 <space> 1/2 <space> x <space> 1/4".

Autostack.gif

Alternatively, you could use the Stack button to stack 1/2.  Or highlight the text and right click and choose "Stack".

There is a new Knowledge Base article for this change:

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Autosta...

MissBianca wrote:

Now I have to enter 'number, forward slash, number, space, backspace, X'

I think that using the Backspace key will revert the stacked fraction back to unstacked, so I don't think that's what you'd want.

Karen Mason

Principal Experience Designer - AutoCAD

Twitter
Message 12 of 18
Pfilc
in reply to: KarenMason

Karen,

Thank you for the explanation on this change.  I understand the examples you gave where the autostack should not occur.

I have trained myself to [space]+[left arrow]+[Delete]+x, but it's pretty painful to use 4 keystrokes instead of one.  Perhaps a system variable or option within autostack settings could be added, so those that prefer could use "classic" stacking?

Message 13 of 18
KarenMason

@phil wrote:

I have trained myself to [space]+[left arrow]+[Delete]+x, but it's pretty painful to use 4 keystrokes instead of one.

Hi Phil,

Can you include the exact text you are trying to type?  And then the keystrokes (including space,arrow, & delete keys) you are using to accomplish it?

I'm not sure why you'd need to use the Delete key.  If you are trying to type 1/2x, you could type 1/2<space><Left arrow>x.

Thanks.

Karen Mason

Twitter
Message 14 of 18
MissBianca

I'm with Phil, it's much more hassle than it was previously.

And whether you're pressing delete or not, you're still pressing more keys.

Message 15 of 18
Pfilc

Karen,

I'm typing callouts similar to what was shown in my original post and what you show in your response (without spaces).

The [Delete] is not always necessary, but does leave extra spaces at the end of the text.  This can lead to a bit of hassle with mtext paragraph wrap or adding to the text later.  So, I'm in the habit of getting rid of it.

Thanks

Message 16 of 18
KarenMason

We will monitor this request.  I guess neither of you ran into the problem of autostacking a date such as 5/27/15.  Did mtext ever autostack when you didn't want it to?

Karen Mason

Twitter
Message 17 of 18
Pfilc

I think I recall occasionally having something like a date stack when I didn't want it to, however that was far less frequent than the 2015/2016 not stacking when I want.

Thanks again for listening!

Message 18 of 18
MissBianca

I can't recall a time when I was subjected to an autostack I didn't want, but I type the date into mtext far less than anything else.

Thanks, Karen!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost