Community
AutoCAD Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automation Error ... All File contents are lost !!!

107 REPLIES 107
Message 1 of 108
Anonymous
7899 Views, 107 Replies

Automation Error ... All File contents are lost !!!

Hello,

We are facing strange issue with all different versions of AutoCAD (2007, 2011, 2013). While users are working on the file, all of a sudden the contents (work done) are lost and it becomes all blank. The file size is same but when we open the file all the work done is not displayed, but just a blank screen.

It happens occasionally and there is some Automation Error in the command line below. The software is not hanging but the open file is in hang state and we have to close it. While closing whether we select yes/no the content (work done) is all lost. The temp location where the files are saved in one of the computer is become huge around 40GB will many Autocad autosave and temporary files; if it has anything to do with it !

Can anyone guide what could be the possible issue ?

Thanks,

107 REPLIES 107
Message 81 of 108

this is not the source of the problem.... as I have been unable to change
the directory... so AutoCAD is using the default temporary directory.
-ne
Message 82 of 108
Anonymous
in reply to: nedwards9820

Hi,

This issue does not seem to be related to any Hardware or OS compatibility. Before facing this issue, it was all working fine with same Hardware and OS and the same version of AutoCAD software.

It is more likely to be a Virus / Worm / Trojan related to infecting .lsp or .fas files. Strange that the antivirus is not catching it.

Regards,

Message 83 of 108
pendean
in reply to: Anonymous

I have to agree with the post above mine: you all are suffering from some sort of virus or out-of-your-control 3rd party app tied to your DWG files (lsp or vlx or vba files). Changing OS or AutoCAD versions will not cure viruses.

Screenshot your file folder and post it here along with a DWG file with the problem and let's all have a look.
Message 84 of 108
nedwards9820

All,

this is not an error that can be caused at will.

it seems the only time the error occurs is when you have been working intensely and for a long time in one or a number of files.  I could post the drawing files, but unless you drew in them for six hours or so I doubt very much the error would occur. 

Frankly, a vrius seems highly unlikley -- why would a virus-checker not find it?  Why would it occur only after long periods of work?

My hope is that someone else with this error has a file/scenario that causes the error "reliably".  I am certain that if I post my files you will not be able to replicate the error.  I certainly can't.... until I've been working solidly for many hours.

it is only when you are deeply involved in a drawing that the resulting data loss becomes such a serious event.

-ne

Message 85 of 108
Anonymous

Dear All,

We are facing the same issue. People in our engineering department are losing their work as the drawings are getting blanked. I have found out that there some files being created automatically in Desktop, Documents and working directory of the affected user named "acad.fas".

There is also a know virus named "Worm:ACAD/Kenilfe.A [F-Secure]|". I have checked the files and registry keys that this virus creates, i did'nt find any.

Please advise for a possible solution. I have also logged a case with Symantec for this problem. Once i get their feedback, i will update.

Thank YOu

Regards

Abdul Wajid

Message 86 of 108
Anonymous

Hi

Friends....

Iam also facing same problems in ma office... so please send me solutions

thank you...

Message 87 of 108
Anonymous

Hi Friends

In our company at least 4 computer were getting " Automation error " with data erased, To cure we formatted all affected  computers and then onwards those computers not getting same error.

But today an anther computer got same error (first time) while finding cause I fond "Acad.fas"  file was created in directory where cad files are located.  After searching all computer I found “Acad.fas” file in My doc,  Appdata, Program files and one more location and in all places file was created today only.

Internet searches leads to declare acad.fas as virus. If anyone aware of it please share it with us.

Note: After deleting acad.fas file user hasn’t work on same system hence I can’t conclude as deleted acad.fas as solution.

Message 88 of 108
Sayed_Revitmanager

dear sir,

greeting of the day

i having problem with autocad2013 when i doing work in the model space sudden all done work erased all showing blank last one month i facing type this problem i humbly insist you pleawse guide me

thanks with regar

Saiyed 'kaif

Message 89 of 108
Anonymous
in reply to: Sayed_Revitmanager

Hai guys use autocad 2014 very nice soft. automation error not come this
soft....
Message 90 of 108
nedwards9820

I have had the automation error in Autocad 2014. But not often.
-ne
Message 91 of 108
Anonymous

Sry i dnt know i have used autocad 2014 this version is gud .re install
autocad 2014
Message 92 of 108
Anonymous

Dear All,

I found the solution to the problem.

our more than 50 Engineers were facing this problem and we had to do following to fix the issue:

1. Backup the user profile of the user.
  2. Remove the profile and login again to create a new user profile.
  3. Install Autocad 2013 SP1.1.
  4. Open CMD and navigate to C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCad2013\.
  5. Run Autocad using nolisp switch by typing in the CMD acad.exe\nolisp.
  6. Once AutoCad is loaded, run AUTOLOADPATH command and provide the path as "C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCad2013\Support".
  7. Run AUTOLOAD command and set the value to 1.
  8. Close the AutoCAD and run again using normal mode.

Problem solved.

Thank You

Regards

Abdul Wajid

Message 93 of 108
nedwards9820

Abdul,

Can you explain how you came up with this fix? Perhaps you suspected
something in the lisp routines that auto-load?

Which part of the fix makes this work, when plain re-installation does not
solve the problem? Is it the CMD acad.exe\nolisp that is the key to
solving the problem?

-ne
Message 94 of 108
Anonymous

Hi,

I was afraid that some lisp routines are autoloading whenever autocad is started. I tried to create a new profile becasue autocad looks for lisp files and fas files in the user profile and installation directory.

In SP1 of they have added additional security modules, the AUTOLOADPATH and AUTOLOAD commands are not avaiable in the previous releases. Through this we can restrict to only look for lisp and fas files in the installation directory and to make changes and add files in that directory the user will have to put the administrative credentials.

For more information you can also consult below article by autodesk;

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=20327810&linkID=9240617

Thank You

Regards

Abdul Wajid

Message 95 of 108
Anonymous

Dear all

I have found very simple solution for the automation issue however it is required to have another PC without the same this error

1. go to C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2013
  2. copy the support folder from this directory from the good PC
  3. take it to the PC which is facing the automation error
  4. paste it on the same directory C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2013
  5. it will ask to replace the file which already exist, select ok and replace the folder
  6. congratulation the error is no longer exist

i have tried that on my PC and it is working fine however make sure that the support folder which you copy it is from a PC with no old records for this issue

Regards

Faisal AG

Message 96 of 108
Anonymous

Hi,

I think it's a virus because when I change to "show hidden files" it's always creating acad.fas file.

Message 97 of 108
Anonymous

I started having this problem last month after editting some files that originated in Iraq and contained some architectural blocks (which I removed). Now the error occurs in new drawings or older drawings created before. I have no add-ons or vba routines running. Just simple drawings with surfaces, feature lines etc. Now almost every drawing suffers this problem, usualy after 1 hour or more working, so it is getting very expensive. I'll try the fixes above but it seems the error comes in on a drawing and will probably spread to other users the same way.

Message 98 of 108
Anonymous

I would be very interested in looking at the Acad.fas file if someone wants to attach it!

Message 99 of 108
Anonymous

Automation Error !

Same error happened in Auto CAD 2014. Even i already face this error in CAD 2013.

So still no one have find such a solution to correct this error.

Message 100 of 108
Anonymous

the same is happening with me but im working on civil drg,I lost my three file,every thing is there except drg.here is my attached file.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost