Automatically move points to nearest Line or Pline

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
arman.zmn
2930 Views, 9 Replies

Automatically move points to nearest Line or Pline

Hi everyone.

I am using AutoCAD 2015 (also have Civil 3D) @ my office.

For a survey i have to move points on the nearest Line/Pline.

For this work i have to select and move every single points and move them manually on the line. 

It is becoming very daunting and time consuming.

I was wondering if there is any way to select points adjacent to a line and automatically move them on the line.

for lack of a better term, I have attached a GIF video showing the procedure i am using.

If there is away to do this automatically or more easily, please let me know. 

Also let me know if I need any third party app for this, or other sofware.

Thanks all.

Untitled-3.gif

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Patchy
in reply to: arman.zmn
Message 3 of 10
LyleHardin
in reply to: Patchy

I'm assuming you want to move them in such a manner so as not to affect the Z value of their coordinate.

You could set a new UCS, setting the X axis on the line you want the points to be on.

Then you select all the points to go on that line and in the properties manager set all their X values to 0. (Zero).

Still cumbersome, but it beats doing them one by one and you won't affect their elevation this way either.

Message 4 of 10
arman.zmn
in reply to: LyleHardin

thanks, it worked great. but i have to set the Y values to 0 to get the desired resultSmiley Happy

Message 5 of 10
LyleHardin

Ah, yes, the Y value... sorry about that!

Another thought came to mind. You want to be sure in World Coords that the Z values of the end of your lines are equal. In other words, when you set up your UCS along that line, you want to be sure the X axis is 'flat to the world'.

Glad it works for you. That looks like a tedious process!

Looks like River Soundings. Is it?

Message 6 of 10
arman.zmn

yes those are River Soundings.

could you please clarify more on your last thought.

Message 7 of 10
LyleHardin

I was thinking about the lines you are moving the points to. River Sections?

In World UCS, do the end points of those lines (sections) have the same Z value?

I was thinking if they did not, then setting your UCS with the X axis on that line might mess up the values when you move your points.

But, actually, now that I think about it, since you are just changing the Y value, it should not be a problem.

Sorry for the confusion.

You are aware of the River Analysis extension for Civil 3D right? It lets Civil 3D communicate with HEC-RAS if that's what you're doing.

Problem is, I don't think that extension is out for 2015 yet.

Message 8 of 10
arman.zmn

i am new in civil 3d. i dont know about that 

my friend have auautocad civil 3d 2014 i could try on that.

Message 9 of 10
BKSpurgeon

This can be very easily solved with a little bit of programming. it's worth looking into the autocad api and you should be able to get most things done after a good 5-10 hours of study.

Message 10 of 10
rculp

Moving the survey point changes the profile of the cross-section of the river bed.  The river is only that deep AT that point, if you move it, the new location is a different depth.  You don't really want to move the points, you want to define the river bed surface then determine what the cross-section profile should be along those straight lines.   .....right??

But hey, that's just me.

Randall Culp
Civil-Structural Design Technician
(aka CADaver)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

ā€Boost