Did you mean: 

Automatic calculation of an angle between a 3D-line and an unexistant line

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
chs4326
276 Views, 1 Reply

Automatic calculation of an angle between a 3D-line and an unexistant line

Hello,

I often times need to draw boreholes in AutoCAD and specify the drilling angle, i.e. the angle between the negative z-axis starting from the starting point of a 3D-line representing the borehole and the 3D-line itself. I attached a picture to clarify what I mean.

Is there any way to automate this in AutoCAD 2014 without the need of calculating it manually? It quickly becomes repetitive when there's hundreds of boreholes to draw.... So any help would be highly appretiated. 

The calculation itself is simple; arcsin of (the length of the projected 3D-line in the XY-plane divided by the length of the 3D-line).

Any ideas? Perhaps is possible to add a field to the "Properties" dialog or make a button for the calculation?

Thank in advance for any input I can get on this.

Borehole angle.PNG

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
chs4326
in reply to: chs4326

Perhaps I should clarify, basically what I need is a lsp/button which will upon selecting a 3D-line calculate

arcsin(sqrt((Xstart-Xend)^2+(Ystart-Yend)^2)/sqrt((Xstart-Xend)^2+(Ystart-Yend)^2+(Zstart-Zend)^2))

or just simply

arcsin(length in XY-plane/length in 3D)

but I have absolutely no idea how to create this, any ideas? It just won't work for me...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost