AutoCAD 2013/2014/2015

AutoCAD 2013/2014/2015

Distinguished Contributor
charles.neely
Message 1 of 9 (1,386 Views)

Autodesk 360 Sync icon

1386 Views, 8 Replies
04-12-2012 09:21 AM

So I figure I'll try out the 360 cloud thing, find out if cloud storage is all its cracked up to be. I understand the need for syncing, etc. But that spinning icon IS DRIVING ME CRAZY!!!!!! I cant figure out how to turn off the sync notification icon w/o turning off the sync option. Does anyone have an answer? Otherwise Autodesk 360 is getting flushed. Developers need to really re-think those cutesy type notifications and realize no one wants that crap.

*Pro
Jason.Piercey
Message 2 of 9 (1,365 Views)

Re: Autodesk 360 Sync icon

04-12-2012 02:12 PM in reply to: charles.neely

I don't have an aswer to your question but, have you read the Terms Of Service for that feature?

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/item?siteID=123112&id=17784802

Take a look at section 2.2

In short:  Autodesk is free to do whatever they want with your data and there is nothing you can do about it.  I suspect not many people actually read that and blindy use such features simply because "cloud" is the latest buzz word in technology.  Just thought you should consider that before using this feature.

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 3 of 9 (1,354 Views)

04-12-2012 03:21 PM in reply to: Jason.Piercey

Any file on any cloud out of your control has the same language (pick your poison: Buzzsaw, DropBox, Box.net, Photofly, Google Docs, Microsoft thingies (too many to list), Norton's backup drive online, any online or "offsite" backup service you may use to save money from buying a local server, FTP sites at your print shop/partner firm sharesite, iCloud on your phone that's turned on, and so much more....).

Nothing new, just a more protective audience suddenly discoverying a new offsite server for the first time. Buyer beware (or at least, truly think about it for ten seconds before doing it).

Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
*Expert Elite*
drjohn
Message 4 of 9 (1,348 Views)

04-12-2012 05:14 PM in reply to: pendean

LOL .... I think that was his point, Dean.  You made it well, as always.  :smileywink:

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 5 of 9 (1,337 Views)

04-13-2012 05:21 AM in reply to: drjohn

Just reminding everyone that the Cloud is not new, just new to Autodesk :smileyhappy:

So many people get lost when you use the word 'cloud' when they've been around for a very long time and called something else.

BellaDawne
Message 6 of 9 (1,317 Views)

04-13-2012 10:04 AM in reply to: charles.neely

Just installed ACLT 13 and supposedly "synced" my settings to Cloud360, but now I am getting a constantly flashing notification that a customisation sync error occurred. It will neither let me use the "x" to turn off the notification nor tell me what the error is and how I might fix it. Any comments on where to search to fix this would be appreciated.

Alumni
Kate_LT
Message 7 of 9 (1,307 Views)

04-13-2012 11:12 AM in reply to: BellaDawne

Here are a couple links that might help you with this:

FAQ for Autodesk 360

Get Satisfaction thread for future updates

Kate Morrical
Technical Marketing Manager
Autodesk, Inc.
LT Unlimited
Distinguished Contributor
morrolan
Message 8 of 9 (1,222 Views)

04-18-2012 03:36 AM in reply to: charles.neely

>>Any file on any cloud out of your control has the same language (pick your poison: Buzzsaw, DropBox, Box.net, Photofly, Google Docs, Microsoft thingies (too many to list), Norton's backup drive online, any online or "offsite" backup service you may use to save money from buying a local server, FTP sites at your print shop/partner firm sharesite, iCloud on your phone that's turned on, and so much more....).

That statement is so far from correct that it's actually jaw-dropping.  I have no idea if its lack of information, mis-information, or dis-information.  On the plus side, the sheer outrageousness of that claim gave me an impetus to go looking around a bit at different offerings.

Each vendor sets their own Terms of Service, and not even Google claims the rights to do as much or go as far as Adesk 360 with customer files.  Box as an example provides substantial information about their security processes to limit access to data, and who can possibly access the data that (a) is transmitted encrypted and (b) stored encrypted.  Apple's iCloud stores encrypted, although it is documented that they posess a back door key.

Buzzsaw is a bit interesting, being an Adesk tool, and apparently having no available ToS.  The 'legal links' on www.buzzsaw.com goes to an Adesk error page.  At the beginning of the century, I did meet with Buzzsaw reps, and security and confidentiality were points that were addressed - no way to know if that has changed, since we decided to go with eRoom as the better web collaboration tool, and Buzzsaw is apparently hiding their ToS.

As a potential 360 user, it's important to your career to read,  understand, and compare the ToS of 360 & competitors.  If one is an employee of a publicly held company, then using 360 is almost certainly a firing offense. if your employer is privately held, and has a typical 'Technolgy Use' policy, that is most probably true also.  If your company deals with architects, engineers, or surveyors and you post any of their files or derivative informatin to 360, you are probably liable to a copyright infringement suit, ($150,000.00 per file) and one that would likely include Autodesk - since they knew, or should have known, that 360 users would neither be copyright holders or legally authorized to waive copyright, and actively encouraged posting of copyrighted material while claiming the right to use it as if they were legitimate owners of the copyright.  Think Megaupload and Kim dotcom.

Bottom line, avoid 360 until it's usable.  There are better, more secure, and more trustworthy options that won't get one fired, both free and paid sevices.  If you're a cad manager, block 360 from installing or connecting -- as part of your job is to protect both the company and your staff.

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 9 of 9 (1,181 Views)

04-19-2012 05:47 AM in reply to: morrolan

Scare tactics always are the best way to kill a new product or concept: like all 1.0 version software and features, only time and customer input will make it better.

But your point is accurate: don't jump blindly into anything. Consult with your peers and superiors, and most importantly your customers, and everyone decide how to use everything to coduct business.

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Do you have 60 seconds to spare? The Autodesk Community Team is revamping our site ranking system and we want your feedback! Please click here to launch the 5 question survey. As always your input is greatly appreciated.