AutoCAD 2013/2014/2015

AutoCAD 2013/2014/2015

Space_Penguin
Message 1 of 6 (756 Views)

Autocad WS, DWG viewer or Delta CAD

756 Views, 5 Replies
01-18-2013 02:20 AM

Wonder what people prefer or use for viewing and printing their DWG or DXF files? Im starting to get sent alot more files in these formats than I used to (as I used to request PDFs) but its clear that people want the ease of sending Autocad files straight to me. Obviously I like the fact that Autocad WS is free but there are some bad reviews of it on the app store, Delta CAD and Microspot's DWG Viewer are around the £30 mark and I dont mind paying that one of price if theyre as good as people say... but then again ive only spoken to the few guys I know that have these apps. 

Hopefully someone can point me in the write direction!

Cheers :smileyhappy:

*Expert Elite*
M_Hensley
Message 2 of 6 (749 Views)

Re: Autocad WS, DWG viewer or Delta CAD

01-18-2013 04:04 AM in reply to: Space_Penguin

For viewing and printing DWG files without AutoCAD I just use the free DWG TrueView program from Autodesk.

*Expert Elite*
JGerth
Message 3 of 6 (742 Views)

01-18-2013 05:21 AM in reply to: M_Hensley

TrueView from autodesk is going to give you the most authentic results on dwg files from autodesk products.  make sure you have the current version, and object enablers installed..

Of course, people will also need to send you their ctb files (or stb if they swing that way) - otherwise your prints are unlikely to look correct compared to their hardcopy/pdf printouts.

You could also look at Draftsight - a free CAD progam rather than paying for a 3rd party viewer.  It's not as robust or fully featured as AutoCAD, but for viewing/printing and possible editng, it works a treat for the cost.

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 4 of 6 (737 Views)

01-18-2013 05:50 AM in reply to: Space_Penguin

AutoCADWS is a work in progress, and other than the name, does not function or act like AutoCAD and may be why the reviews from AutoCAD users are not so good. Those not familiar with AutoCAD seem to prefer it over any other option.

Are you an actual AutoCAD user? and if so, which version? Or are you just seeking a viewer option? I can't imagine paying for a viewer unless you need a specific feature not found in about a half-dozen free options/solutions.

Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
Space_Penguin
Message 5 of 6 (730 Views)

01-18-2013 06:32 AM in reply to: pendean

Thanks for the speedy replies guys. Im a mac user and I just did the standard thing of searching DWG on the app store which gave those 3 options. Clearly I need to do some deeper digging and look more at the Autodesk options, a few colleagues of mine in the states use the microspot viewer and love it but like you say if there are free versions out there....thanks again and ill continue my search :smileyhappy:

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 6 of 6 (726 Views)

01-18-2013 06:34 AM in reply to: Space_Penguin

Wish you had said you are a MAC user in the beginning: you're choices are very limited.

Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Do you have 60 seconds to spare? The Autodesk Community Team is revamping our site ranking system and we want your feedback! Please click here to launch the 5 question survey. As always your input is greatly appreciated.