Did you mean: 

autocad won't open

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
jwellman
4299 Views, 4 Replies

autocad won't open

Hey all:

strange, but I cannot get autocad 2014, or 2012 to open without it crashing.  windows 7 x64 sp1.  I've contacted support, and have tried their suggestions of complete uninstalling, removing all C++, then reinstalling.  creating a new user profile, updating graphics card drivers.  Still can't get it to open.  No errors on installing.

Don't know what else to do.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: jwellman

Hi,

if AutoCAD 2012 AND AutoCAD 2014 crash (btw: what is the message you get?) I guess it has nothing to do with the AutoCAD profile, it might have something to do with Windows or any application you installed (but that's just guessing at the moment).

So the questions are:

- were these AutoCAD releases ever running and stopped some day? (I assume now that they were ok for the

following questions as you had already questions about hatching in the forum here)?

- what other softwarepackages and/or updates have you installed on your system (after AutoCAD stopped executing)?

- what error message do you get when they crashed?

- do they also crash when you start Windows in diagnostic mode?

- have you tried to start AutoCAD with the option "start as administrator" (mouse ==> right click onto the AutoCAD-icon)?

- have you tried to disable antivirus and other defending software?

- have you tried to disconnect your workstation from the network (so also from internet)?

Let's know what the results to the above tests are!

Good luck, - alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 5
jwellman
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

- were these AutoCAD releases ever running and stopped some day? (I assume now that they were ok for the

following questions as you had already questions about hatching in the forum here)? AutoCAD 2012 was running for quite some time. This is on a workstation that does not get used frequently, so hard to tell when the problem started. In attempts to fix this problem, I did uninstall 2012 and try 2014, which resulted in the same crashing, so I've never had 2014 running on this machine.

- what other softwarepackages and/or updates have you installed on your system (after AutoCAD stopped executing)? See previous question. Hard to say when this problem originated, so hard to narrow down what was installed afterwards. There's none that I'm aware of, as once this station was installed and configured, I don't change much.

- what error message do you get when they crashed? It shows the flash screen briefly, then does the classic autocad error reporting dialog box. In the details, it lists three files that were generated, acminidump.dmp, dmpuserinfo.xml, and dumpdata.zip. I've located these files and have them handy, but don't know what I'm looking for within them.

- do they also crash when you start Windows in diagnostic mode? You mean safe mode? Haven't tried this.

- have you tried to start AutoCAD with the option "start as administrator" (mouse ==> right click onto the AutoCAD-icon)? yes still crashes

- have you tried to disable antivirus and other defending software? yes, during install/uninstall, as well as trying to start it.

- have you tried to disconnect your workstation from the network (so also from internet)? yep, no luck.

Thank you for your help, I appreciate it. If these files can help isolate the problem, I can try to post them if that's allowed.
Message 4 of 5
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: jwellman

Hi,

>> I did uninstall 2012 and try 2014, which resulted in the same crashing

Depending on the chronology order of the installations it might make sense to do a repair installation of the current AutoCAD after uninstalling any other releases of the same product type.

>> as once this station was installed and configured, I don't change much

Does Windows do ot's automatic update?

You might then try to find a previous system restore point to set your Windows back or to uninstall the updates backwards.

>> It shows the flash screen briefly, then does the classic autocad error reporting

Have you tried >>>that<<< plus the link on the end of the page?

Good luck, - alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 5 of 5
jwellman
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Thanks for helping with this issue. I've tried uninstalling everything and installing one version a few times now, with 2012 and 2014, and nothing works. The tech doc link below doesn't apply to 2014, which is what I currently have installed on the machine. There is no productname201xENUAdlm.log used with 2014 nor a .data file used in the flexnet directory. A system restore is an option I suppose. I have a case open with Autodesk and tech is going to check it out tomorrow, so I'll probably wait until he has a chance to look at it before I get any more aggressive. Hate to reinstall windows as the machine is functioning flawlessly otherwise, newish hardware (i7, 16GB, Radeon 5800 series).

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost