Community
AutoCAD Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCad/Sketchup/3dMAX/Photoshop Gonna buy a labtop, need your advice!

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
750 Views, 2 Replies

AutoCad/Sketchup/3dMAX/Photoshop Gonna buy a labtop, need your advice!

Hey, architeture student here. So ive had the same garbage labtop for 4 years, and its time to move on. These past university years have been like hell because of the low performance of my pc, litterally 300dpi files would take 20min to save on PS and renders would take forever. Im tired of that.

So, ive been searching and so and found this nice labtop that is focused for gaming but seems good for what I need. BTW, i could care less for gamin, really want whats best for my designing performance.

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=710_577_1199&item_id=069372

GT70 2PC-1467US Dominator
Operating System Windows 8.1
Processor Intel Sharkbay i7-4810MQ
Standard Memory 8GB
Hard Drive 1TB
Display Size 17.3"
Display Technology Anti-Glare (1920*1080)
Graphics Nvidia Geforce GTX870M

those are the basics. I know I should get more RAM and maybe a SSD. The price im willing to give is around 1600 canadaian $ . Any ideas on what kind of pc i should go for? Ive read about Quadro GFX and so forth, but IDK seems like this labtop I just put up seems good. Waiting for your ideas guys. Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

You should include the versions of the softwares. Of course that matters too. If you want to run a Autocad 2014/2015 an i3 Intel is good enough but on PS CS6 its not an ideal but I dont want to talk about photoshop its doesnt concern this furom at all. Just to give you a little hint. Go to cpubenckmark.net and take alook at the stats of the processors and video cards. That would give you an idea about the latest bechmarks on processors and video card etc. 

Message 3 of 3
dgorsman
in reply to: Anonymous

Laptops won't have stellar performance for rendering or other power applications - they're designed for portability, not computing power.  So don't expect too much from one, especially for $1600.

Hardware is only half the solution.  The other half is good data management.  If you stuff everything into a single file, modeled down to individual bolts, leaves, and twigs for a 1:1000 drawing, or other poor practices then there will always be performance issues no matter how much money you throw at the problem.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost