Did you mean: 

Autocad not running smoothly

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
pdlz
1555 Views, 6 Replies

Autocad not running smoothly

Hello,

i am running autocad 2015 on my desktop computer (see specs below)

when i am working on fairly large drawings about 10MB in size, autocad really slows down, it's like it has to refresh every time i pan with the middle scroll button. I have to wait a few seconds when switching layout tabs. And i have to wait for about half a second when selecting multiple objects.

having to wait every click feels like my computer is lagging everytime, it drains my energy and it's getting really frustrating. We opened the same file on my colleagues laptop that has geforce 765m and only 6GB of 1600MHz DDR3 Ram and it runs smoothly (no waiting). His sketchup is also running more smoothly. What do you think causes this? i just updated my graphics drivers so it shouldn't be the problem. thank you!

board: asrock 990fx extreme9
cpu: amd fx-8350 8-core 4.00GHz

gpu: Sapphire Radeon 7870 XT w/boost 2GB 256-bit GDDR5

ram: g.skill ripjaws x 16GB 1600MHz DDR3

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
braudpat
in reply to: pdlz

Hello

Welcome to the Autodesk/AutoCAD Forums !

Q1) The other "good" PC has which processor exactly & which basic speed ??

Q2) The quality (and the date especially for 2015 versions) of the graphic card driver is important too ...

Which date for YOUR AMD driver ? Which date for the other NVidia driver ?

Q3) Have you installed the SP 2 on your ACAD 2015 :

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/downloads/caas/downloads/content/autodesk-autocad-2015...

Waiting ...

Patrice ( Supporting Troops ) - Autodesk Expert Elite
If you are happy with my answer please mark "Accept as Solution" and if very happy please give me a Kudos (Felicitations) - Thanks

Patrice BRAUD

EESignature

Message 3 of 7
pendean

WIndows OS? And the other PC is running which OS?
Are you both running R2015? If not,what is the other running?
This File is located where? How do you access it?
On your machine, have you fiddled with the graphics acceleration settings yet? Turn off LINESMOOTHING and LINEFADING yet? All worth trying.

I am NOT running a souped up PC like yours with R2015, and 10MB files are slightly slower to handle than a 5MB file but no as slow as you describe.
Also note that a high end graphics card alone is not a way to speed up AutoCAD, neither is an 8-core processor. 16MB Ram is considered average these days.
Message 4 of 7
pdlz
in reply to: braudpat

Hi!

I can't get in touch with him at the moment but i'm pretty sure his computer is a sub-$1000 intel core-i7 lenovo which was released in Q4 2013.

we are both running autocad 2015. I am on windows 8.1 and he's running windows 8. The file on my computer is stored in my Samsung 840 Pro drive whil his laptop only has a 5400rpm mechanical hard drive. i have the latest stable driver from sapphire's website (sept. 2014) while he's running the original drivers that came with the laptop.

I ran a few resource monitor programs and found that my CPU doesn't even use 10%, Ram @ 4gb/16gb, and VRAM at only about 20%. So i'm thinking that this was not caused by hardware deficiency but probably just wrong configuration.

what do you think? thank you!

Message 5 of 7
pdlz
in reply to: pendean

i'll try turning off the linefading and smoothing off and i'll get back to you. as i have said on my other reply, we are both running R2015 and i'm on win 8.1 64bit and he's on win 8 64-bit. The file is on a folder on my desktop on my SSD, while the other PC opened it from the desktop as well on a 5400rpm mechanical hard drive. thank you!
Message 6 of 7
pendean

Change graphics hardware acceleration inside AutoCAD 2015 as well.
Message 7 of 7
gmughal
in reply to: pendean

Issue:When moving the mouse cursor across a drawing within AutoCAD, it pauses repeatedly instead of moving smoothly across the screen.

Solution:There can be many causes of this issue. Here are some suggestions that may resolve the problem:
NOTE: Some of the following variables/methods are not applicable to both Windows and Mac versions of AutoCAD products.

• Enable or disable hardware acceleration within AutoCAD (see How to enable or disable hardware acceleration in AutoCAD). 

• Change the following variables within AutoCAD (type them on the command line): 

SELECTIONCYCLING = 0
    UCSDETECT = 0
    ORTHOMODE = 0
    DYNMODE = 0
    ROLLOVERTIPS = 0
    SAVEFIDELITY = 0
    QPMODE = 0
    SNAPMODE = 0
    SELECTIONPREVIEW = 0
    PROPERTYPREVIEW = 0

• Close the Properties palette (CTRL-1).

• If the issue occurs and appears to get worse throughout the day, restarting your computer may help.

• Install latest service pack for AutoCAD (see AutoCAD Downloads).

• If you are running Windows Vista or Windows 7, try turning off Aero by setting your desktop theme to Windows Basic.

• For systems other than Windows XP, try disabling BitLocker (see BitLocker Drive Encryption).

• Unplug and replug your mouse. Try a different one to make sure the device itself is not at fault. Update mouse drivers or remove proprietary mouse software to allow the default drivers in Windows to manage your mouse.

• Update your video driver. Here are links to get an update, depending on what graphics card you have:

NVIDIA downloads
    AMD downloads
    Intel Driver Update Utility

• Additionally, check your graphics driver against the recommended hardware list. The most current driver may not be the one that has been tested for AutoCAD.

• Other software may be conflicting with AutoCAD. It has been seen at times that antivirus programs will do this. Some may even require being uninstalled instead of simply disabled. Also, Digital Persona or other fingerprint biometric security software on laptops can be the cause. To disable just about all background processes in order to run AutoCAD in a clean environment, reboot under a diagnostic startup (see How to perform a diagnostic startup in Windows).
  • Disable the OpenGL profile setting within AutoCAD's Preferences dialog.

There may be many other machine variables and configurations that may affect this type of issue. While this may not be a complete list of all of the services and features that may affect cursor performance, it includes many of that have previously solved the issue for customers reporting it.

Tags (1)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost