Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autocad LT 2013 show coordinates in feet

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
jimoly
1244 Views, 11 Replies

Autocad LT 2013 show coordinates in feet

My drawing units are set to inches, which I need to maintain.  How do I get the coordinates (in the bottom left of the screen) show only in feet without changing back and forth between inches and feet?

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
steve216586
in reply to: jimoly

LUNITS = "2" (DECIMAL) OR "5" (FRACTIONAL)

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. "-Eleanor Roosevelt
Message 3 of 12
jimoly
in reply to: steve216586

I forgot to add that the linear units are already set to architectural, so all my dimensions show in xxxft - xxx in.  As I move the cursor over model space, the coordinates in the bottom left switch between architectural ...........and .......inches only (with, of course inches 12 x the architectural).  When I get to my point where I want to know the exact archictural coordinate, the coordinate readout may be reading in inches only, so I have to slightly move the cursor to get it to switch to architectural.  How do I get coordinates to show only the architectural units?

Message 4 of 12
jimoly

Ugggh!  Earlier posts had same problem.  Incorporating prior response showed coordinates in inches as before; when I divide it by 12, the coordinates in feet is correct.  I changed LUNITS and also COORDS variables with no luck.  Surely there is a workaround somewhere?? Way too many objects and viewports and layouts to change drawing units to feet and then have to rescale everything by 1/12.  Help from the experts?

Message 5 of 12
pendean

Never rely that much onthe coordinates display at the bottom of the screen: it's always been shaky and still is through 2015 when you have varying settings like you do.

IMHO if you must know exactly the coordinates of a point you need to actively use a command to list it.
Message 6 of 12
jggerth1

I'll agree with Dean -- if you want to be right, use a command.  ID with an Osnap for example, or try either PROPERTIES or LIST if there's an object you need info on.  

Message 7 of 12
dbroad

I've read all the posts and am still not sure the problem you are experiencing.  Disclaimer: I have AutoCAD 2014 full version.

You say you just want feet but also mention feet-inch, architectural and inches.

When my units are set to architectural, all status line indications are shown as  feet'-inch", feet'-inch",feet'-inch".  They never vary except by position.  They never show just inches unless my units are set to fractional or decimal.  They never show even feet unless I have a snap set to 12".  Nevertheless, they still show ft-in format in architectural mode.

Since 2013 though, the snap settings are ignored except during a command that is requesting point input.  If you want the status line to display a snapped value, you can change the snapgridlegacy variable.  This keeps the cursor jumping to the snap grid as in earlier versions.

Architect, Registered NC, VA, SC, & GA.
Message 8 of 12
nestly2
in reply to: dbroad

dbroad wrote:

I've read all the posts and am still not sure the problem you are experiencing....

I understand the problem to be the way AutoCAD flip-flops back and forth between Architectural and Scientific coordinates when the precision is high, and/or when the coordinates are very far from the origin. The coordinates should just round to the nearest unit in the chosen format, like happens  when you LIST or IDPOINT, or Dimension the same location.

Cursor Coordinate Values.gif

Message 9 of 12
dbroad
in reply to: nestly2

Thanks for the illustration.  I don't know how to completely eliminate scientific display but the incidence is greatly reduced by setting a small snap value, turning snap on, and using snapgridlegacy=1.  That may be unacceptable though in some cases.  I typically use 1/8" snap.

Architect, Registered NC, VA, SC, & GA.
Message 10 of 12
jimoly
in reply to: nestly2

Nestly2, your illustration is excellent the way it shows the coordinates values switching  between architectural and scientific.  In your illustration, the values are always in feet (architectural units).  My problem goes beyond that.

I am plotting survey marking points for marina channel dredging.  If I mark the point on my drawing and select it, the properties pallette correctly show the X coord and Y coord in architectural units.  However, if I hover the mouse over (or near the same point), sometimes one or both of the coordinates display in archictural units, but most of the time the coordinates value is in inches only (with the scientific notation due to length).  I always want the coordinates values in the bottom left to show in architectural units only, but I cannot get them to do that.

AC LT does not have the snapgrid(??) command. It is available only in full AC.

Thanks for the responses.  Maybe this can be figured out. 

Message 11 of 12
nestly2

I don't recall ever seeing, and can't think of any condition, that should cause the cursor coords to switch between Architectural (feet & inches) and Fractional (inches only)

Can you post a screencapture?

Message 12 of 12
jimoly

Here is a screen shot plus blow up of prpoerties pallette and coordinates display for better viewing.

The centerline of the channel at sta 0+00 is selected and the coordinates show properly in the properties pallette in architectural units.  I moved to cursor slightly off that point and the coordinates display shows the X coord properly in architectural units, but the Y coordinate shows in inches!  If I divide the Y coordinate by 12, I get the correct Y coordinate in architectural units.  As I move the cursor around,  both the X and Y coordinates flip between architectural units and inches only with no apparent rime or reason on when it shows either.

.autocad screen properties.jpgautocad screen.JPGautocad screen coordinates.jpg

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost