Did you mean: 

AutoCAD hangs when opening particular dwg

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
sactomacto
438 Views, 8 Replies

AutoCAD hangs when opening particular dwg

A client has sent me files purported to be created by AutoCAD 2015, but my AutoCAD is unable to open them. Everytime I try, my AutoCAD becomes unresponsive and I have to ctrl-alt-del and end task. I have asked them to send me different versions and even dxf but the problem remains and I am out of ideas.

I have tried to insert the file as a block into a new drawing and it freezes also.  On a fun note, the files are able to open in Truview, but that is useless to me.

files attached.

help.

I have

AutoCAD 2015 full version

Windows 8.1

i7 core

8.00 GB ram

64-bit

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
pendean
in reply to: sactomacto

You need to get some other dwg-compliant software to fix DWG files from foreign vendors, then you can open them in AutoCAD more easily. I used Draftsight to get into these and clean them up first.

Message 3 of 9
sactomacto
in reply to: pendean

f-plan_1.dwg works!

But f-plan_2.dwg still hangs up on my computer. Is there something going on with my computer or it's settings?  Can you do an AECTOACAD export on f-plan_2? Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

Message 4 of 9
pendean

Both files open fine here in plain jane AutoCAD2015. There are no AEC/Proxy objects in these files.

Did you install SP2 for 2015? I did not, but other than that I'm not sure why your AutoCAD 2015 is hanging with the files I posted.

Message 5 of 9
braudpat

Hello from France

Welcome to the Autodesk/AutoCAD Forums !

I have purged your DWGs and cleaned up (maybe a little bit too much) them (with special tools) and I haven't any problem with ACAD 2012/2014/2015 !

So please test ...

Patrice ( Supporting Troops ) - Autodesk Expert Elite
If you are happy with my answer please mark "Accept as Solution" and if very happy please give me a Kudos (Felicitations) - Thanks

Patrice BRAUD

EESignature

Message 6 of 9
sactomacto

Yes I have SP2 installed for 2015.

So apparently something is wrong with my computer and/or autocad installation.

What is the best procedure to do a clean reinstall?

Message 7 of 9
sactomacto
in reply to: braudpat

Thanks for trying from France.

Your versions (both) still don't work on my AutoCAD.  Apparently the next step is to uninstall SP2 or do a clean re-install of autoCAD...

Message 8 of 9
braudpat

Hello

YES my 2015 is with SP1 and NOT with SP2 ! Because I am very careful ...

The SP2 for 2015 seems to generate some "strange side" bad effects !?

So Good Luck !

Patrice ( Supporting Troops ) - Autodesk Expert Elite
If you are happy with my answer please mark "Accept as Solution" and if very happy please give me a Kudos (Felicitations) - Thanks

Patrice BRAUD

EESignature

Message 9 of 9
sactomacto

As mentioned by a few others, the culprit was SP2.  I uninstalled SP2 and now the files open fine. Thank you for the suggestions.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost