AutoCAD 2013/2014/2015

Mentor
michaelmead
Message 31 of 43 (514 Views)

Re: AutoCAD genius NEEDED

09-27-2012 01:01 PM in reply to: Hammer.john.j

Does that  wblock commmand still work in autocad 2013?

*Expert Elite*
Alfred.NESWADBA
Message 32 of 43 (507 Views)

09-27-2012 01:19 PM in reply to: michaelmead

Hi,

ok, I could look to your file (received via PM) and can tell you two things:

• _ORBIT is not that problematicly slow (and currently I'm working on a notebook that has not that fast processor you have, that has 8GB and not 32GB, that has an ATI Mobility Radeon (real slow) and not a Quadro from nVidia). _ORBIT starts turning the display within about 20 seconds. So that looks like anything on your system (or sw-installation) makes the thing happening
  • after starting _ORBIT and turning the view to some time AutoCAD crashes (I have AutoCAD 2013 SP 1.1) ==> and that makes me thinking it's not only your system, there is also something in your drawing (that I can't find currently)

>> Does that  wblock commmand still work in autocad 2013?

Of course, why not? And yes, I have tried it with your drawing, I also tried _-EXPORTTOAUTOCAD but nothing solves the issue when crashing with _ORBIT.

Interesting is, that after exploding all unnamed blocks (and deleting them) the document could not be saved anymore, the _SAVE starts up to 50% and then AutoCAD blocks one core in the processor at full power, but does not continue with saving.

- alfred -

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Distinguished Contributor
Hammer.john.j
Message 33 of 43 (502 Views)

09-27-2012 01:37 PM in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Typically, if you open a clean drawing with nothing but some simple lines and text in it and it functions normally but your 10mb drawing will not... the answers become clear :smileyhappy:

I vote for tearing the drawing apart and putting it back together, but consider separating out some data if it truly is 10mb worth of data using xrefs, drefs, or whatever.

John Hammer, LA
Dell Precision T3500 - Xenon W3550 @ 3.07 (4 core)
Ram @ 12Gb
64bit Win7 Pro
Samsung SSD
NVIDIA Quadro 2000 - Dual Monitors
Cat 6 network with GlobalScape Avail Agent - WAFS
Infrastructure Design Suite Premium and Civil 3D 2012 & 2014
Mentor
michaelmead
Message 34 of 43 (495 Views)

09-27-2012 01:55 PM in reply to: Hammer.john.j

Well I cant disagree with you, but the file is not of my own creation. Tearing it down would take too much of my time that needs to be spent doing my own work. I am simply trying to use this other companies info for coordination in revit, but I can not see the 3D surfaces in Revit that I need to unless I set proxygraphics to 1 and explode everything and resave. Those 2 steps  take me like at least a half an hour alone. Unless there is another way to show the 3D surfaces from a .dwg file that I am unaware of. And please dont say make it an .rfa, considering the way it works in its native program, thats a whole other nightmare. Although my Autocad may be able to draw a few lines and text, that doesnt mean that the answer is clear. It means that the problem is clear. The answer, meaning the solution to my problem : an extremely slow and paralized file, remains elusive. 5 Star props for anyone who can come up with the silver bullet. Thanks,

Hammer.john.j
Message 35 of 43 (483 Views)

09-27-2012 02:22 PM in reply to: michaelmead

Ask the creator of the drawing to xml you the civil 3d content, then delete all of it from the drawing.

Problem solved.

edit.... good link:

http://revitclinic.typepad.com/my_weblog/2008/09/its-a-revit-world-and-everyone-else-is-living-in-it...

http://labs.autodesk.com/utilities/bim_coordinator

John Hammer, LA
Ram @ 12Gb
64bit Win7 Pro
Samsung SSD
Mentor
michaelmead
Message 36 of 43 (473 Views)

09-27-2012 02:36 PM in reply to: michaelmead

Hi, I dont see how Civil 3D content even came up. Its not a Civil 3D drawing. It was made in Autocad MEP. Even if they did export the xml content, how would I go about finding which are the corrupt files? As far as I know xml files are excel files, and I dont see how that comes into play unless you are refering to a specific add on feature of which I am not familiar. Thanks,

*Expert Elite*
dgorsman
Message 37 of 43 (465 Views)

09-27-2012 02:53 PM in reply to: michaelmead

FYI - XML is not an Excel file format.  It is a generic format that describes how data can be organized.  It is very popular for storing, transmitting, and converting information (you are probably using it in several places without even knowing).  For example the civil industry has a need to communicate data between vastly different software, so some very dedicated people came up with a standard called "LandXML", which uses XML to describe all the features and data that are needed for various civil designs so different applications can communicate.  I believe the architectural/construction industry also has a format along the same lines gbXML (I think - not my industry).

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
Adopt. Adapt. Overcome. Or be overcome.
A good question will be halfway to a good answer.

Hammer.john.j
Message 38 of 43 (464 Views)

09-27-2012 02:58 PM in reply to: dgorsman

It may not be civil 3d pipe networks, it may be mep like you say.  I was using civil 3d as an example.  The originator of the drawing you are trying to import into revit is the source of your problem, not your hardware, your software, etc.  It is the specific handling of the file transformation out of whatever and into revit.

To fix the problem, you need to find a way to use a common format xml or whatever to get the information out of whatever and into revit clean.... a 10mb drawing is bad enough and probably a result of some ill-handling on the originator side to explode or do whatever to send you the file you have.  I would deal with the originator of the soure drawing, understand their platform and figure out how to get it into yours using best practices... otherwise you will chase your tail on this to no end.

John Hammer, LA
Ram @ 12Gb
64bit Win7 Pro
Samsung SSD
Mentor
michaelmead
Message 39 of 43 (459 Views)

09-27-2012 03:10 PM in reply to: Hammer.john.j

That sounds great but 2 points need to be addressed:

1. He created it using AutoCAD MEP 2012, with it working fine. Then he sent it to me, and I open it in AutoCAD MEP 2013. A year newer, but still the same program, except when I try to use it, it drags serious @$$.

2. I still dont know how to get a common xml format or how to delete what ever it is I need to delete. I dont even know what to tell this guy to do for me. I thought since Autodesk bought Revit they figured out the whole common xml communication gap. No? I just link in the DWG file...

dmmeehan
Message 40 of 43 (406 Views)

09-28-2012 01:04 PM in reply to: michaelmead

In some 3d models I have found that one particular 3d object can cripple a drawing. I'd suggest freezing portions of the file and trying to orbit after each layer freeze. Once the offending layer is found, isolate it and look for 3d objects that are just a bit too detailed for their own good. Think: Screws with threads, 3d logos on Vendor provided 3d models.... Another thing to consider is how far objects are from 0,0,0. If they are too far away Autocad just can't handle it.

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.