Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autocad Error for blocks

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
jaggeepatel
697 Views, 11 Replies

Autocad Error for blocks

i am working in some drawings. when i reopen it its showing me no blocks which i have already addded previously. strange thing is its not giving me any error message not it gives me any error found in audit/recover. please let me know why this problem exist and whats solution for the same.

please help me out as it take a lot of time of me to rebuilt the drawing again with blocks.

thanks

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Hi,

what AutoCAD version and servicepack do you have (and vertical, if it's not plain AutoCAD)?

What DWG format have you set as default in your options? (and the two checkboxes below the dwg-format, how are they set)

What OS do you have?

Do you save on your local system or to a network?

And if that happens again: if you rename your BAK file to extension DWG and open that file, does that have the complete content?

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 12

hello,

Product Version: E. 115.0.0, Autocad 2011 - English Version 2.1.

Autocad 2010 Drawing (*.dwg)

maintain visual fidelity for annotative objects-checked

maintina drawing sized compatibility-checked

i am using windows 7 OS.

i am saving it on network drive as its my company drawings.

bak file gives it correct to me but thing is its not saving latest bak its giving me old back instead.

this problem mostly occurs with blocks with attributes like my drawing title block, grid block, section marking annotation block etc etc. and very few text also disappears.

in my drawing all the drawing objects i have imported from Autoplant only for making drawing to give to client i am doing annotation in autocad.

please help me out as its frustrating.

thanks for your help.

jacksy

Message 4 of 12

Hi,

>> maintain visual fidelity for annotative objects-checked

>> maintina drawing sized compatibility-checked

Disable both for a test period.

>> i am saving it on network drive as its my company drawings.

Make sure that your virus scanner (your local one and that on server) does not scan DWG, DWL, DWL2, BAK during save-access.

>> in my drawing all the drawing objects i have imported from Autoplant

I don't know Autoplant and if it has an object enabler, it might make sense to get infos about if there exists one and it your's is up-to-date.

And when it appears next time (or if you have a sample right now available) upload the BAK and the DWG (so we can see what is lost.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 5 of 12

Hi,

SEE BELOW REPLY IN CAPITAL

Disable both for a test period.- I HAVE TRIED FOR IT ALSO. COUDNT WORK.

Make sure that your virus scanner (your local one and that on server) does not scan DWG, DWL, DWL2, BAK during save-access. CHECKED THIS THING ALSO. ITS GOOD.

I don't know Autoplant and if it has an object enabler, it might make sense to get infos about if there exists one and it your's is up-to-date. YAA ITS UPTO DATE.

And when it appears next time (or if you have a sample right now available) upload the BAK and the DWG (so we can see what is lost. I HAVE A SAMPLE BUT UNFORTUNATELY I CANT SEND THE SAME TO YOU DUE TO CONFIDENTIALITY AGREEMENT WITH THE COMPANY. BUT I CAN GIVE YOU INFORMATION THAT WHEN I AM COMPARING OLD BAK FILE AND LATEST DRAWING FILE ONLY BIG DIFFERENCE IS ALL THE ANNOTATION BLOCKS ARE EXPLODED. LIKE TITLE BLOCK, GRIDLINE BLOCK, SECTION MARKING BLOCK ETC ETC AND TOP OF THAT ONE PROB IS WHATEVER CHANGES I HAVE MADE IN AUTOPLANT WILL NOT REFLECT. BUT THAT IS OK AS AUTOPLANT CHANGES I HAVE IN MODEL SO TO EXTRACT THE SAME IN DRAWING FOR LATEST NEED JUST 2 MINUTES FOR ME..

SORRY AGAIN THAT I AM NOT ABLE TO SEND YOU DRAWING BUT I HOPE YOU CAN UNDERSTAND IT.  

-JACKSY-

Message 6 of 12

Hi,

>> WHEN I AM COMPARING OLD BAK FILE AND LATEST DRAWING FILE ONLY BIG DIFFERENCE IS ALL THE ANNOTATION BLOCKS ARE EXPLODED

Is that reproducable? So every time you do _SAVE or _SAVEAS or _QSAVE the titleblocks are exploded?

If so I guess there is some app/tool/... loaded that interupts the SAVE process and does exploding. I have not heard yet that AutoCAD does exploding titleblocks.

If it's reproducable:

I would now try to create a new Windows-user on your system, start with that account and try this steps within that (now new) AutoCAD profile. Does the same happen again?

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 7 of 12

Hello,

>> WHEN I AM COMPARING OLD BAK FILE AND LATEST DRAWING FILE ONLY BIG DIFFERENCE IS ALL THE ANNOTATION BLOCKS ARE EXPLODED

Is that reproducable? So every time you do _SAVE or _SAVEAS or _QSAVE the titleblocks are exploded?

If so I guess there is some app/tool/... loaded that interupts the SAVE process and does exploding. I have not heard yet that AutoCAD does exploding titleblocks. ITS NOT EVERYTIME. ITS JUST I GOT THAT ERROR ONE OR MAX TO MAX TWO TIMES. ONCE I AM REBUILDING DRAWING ITS ALL OK. SO I DONT GET THE REASON WHY ITS DOING LIKE THAT JUST ONCE OR TWICE TO FILE. I HAVE TRIED TO USE BASIC AUTOCAD ONLY FOR ONCE WITHOUT ANY UTILITY FOR ONE OF THOSE DRAWINGS AND IT DID EXPLODED ALL THE ANNOTATION BLOCK FOR ONCE.

If it's reproducable:

I would now try to create a new Windows-user on your system, start with that account and try this steps within that (now new) AutoCAD profile. Does the same happen again? THIS THING ALSO I HAVE TALKED WITH IT PEEPS IN MY COMPANY EVEN THEY HAVE UNINSTALLED AND REINSTALLED AUTOCAD MAKING NEW USER STILL THE SAME PROB EXISTS.  ONE MORE WEIRD THING I HAVE SEEN IN THOSE PERTICULAR FILES THAT IF I TRY TO USE KEYBOARD SYMBOLS ITS GIVING ME DIFFERENT SYMBOLS. FOR EXAMPLE IF I WANT TO USE \ FROM KEYBOARD THAN ITS GIVING ME DIFFERENT SYMBOL. THAN I HAVE TO GO TO CHARACTER MAP AND TO COPY \ THIS AND PASTE IN AUTOCAD TO USE IT.

JUST TO GIVE YOU BETTER IDEA. SUPPOSE THAT DRAWING I HAVE OPENED 15TIME TO WORK ON IT. I HAVE SAVED THE SAME AND CLOSED IT. SO IN THAT 15 TIMES IT EXPLODES ALL ANNOTATION BLOCKS FOR ONE TIME OR MAXIMUM TWO TIMES. DUE TO WHICH I AM TAKING BACKUP OF EVERYDAY AND WHEN IT EXPLODES I AM COPYING THOSE BLOCKS FROM OLD DRAWINGS AND PASTING IN THE ERRORED DRAWING THAN ITS ALL WORKS OK.

I REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR TIME AND HELP TO ME BUT IF YOU CAN GIVE ME ITS REASON AND HOW TO PREVENT IT I WILL BE VERY MUCH HAPPY.

THANKS

JACKSY

Message 8 of 12

Hi,

do you have other systems with the same issue in your company? If so do they have the same issue?

I saw problems in saving that there were errors raised or even data is lost, but never heard that titleblocks are exploded. So for the moment I have no idea of how that can be solved (without accessing your system and see your environment).

>> THEY HAVE UNINSTALLED AND REINSTALLED AUTOCAD MAKING NEW USER STILL THE SAME PROB EXISTS

Uninstall and reinstall does not necessarily reset the profile, so as long as it was not a really clean uninstall there might be some settings active in the same way as before uninstalling AutoCAD.

BTW: if you say that blocks are exploded ... are that all blocks in your drawing (all in modelspace, also all blocks in every layout)?

If not ... is there a rule for which blocks are exploded and which ones not? Could it be that there is some kind of document management system that accesses some specific blocks (like titleblock) and makes mistakes while handling them? Do you have any kind of document management system installed/active?

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 9 of 12

Hi,

do you have other systems with the same issue in your company? If so do they have the same issue? two more users faced same problem.

I saw problems in saving that there were errors raised or even data is lost, but never heard that titleblocks are exploded. So for the moment I have no idea of how that can be solved (without accessing your system and see your environment). i used to be autocad administrator in my old company but never faced such prob. even i have faced some times data lost and annotation lost kinda probs but this is strange that it explodes only annotated blocks.

>> THEY HAVE UNINSTALLED AND REINSTALLED AUTOCAD MAKING NEW USER STILL THE SAME PROB EXISTS

Uninstall and reinstall does not necessarily reset the profile, so as long as it was not a really clean uninstall there might be some settings active in the same way as before uninstalling AutoCAD. Actually what they did it they have uninstalled every thing from autodesk and than they have created new user and in that new user they installed autocad again.

BTW: if you say that blocks are exploded ... are that all blocks in your drawing (all in modelspace, also all blocks in every layout)? all the blocks and annotation part is in layout space . only autoplant objects are in model space. If not ... is there a rule for which blocks are exploded and which ones not? coudnt get this point. could it be that there is some kind of document management system that accesses some specific blocks (like titleblock) and makes mistakes while handling them? Do you have any kind of document management system installed/active?

we have document management system. but thats only to transfer construction drawings to client through FTP server. also FYI all the blocks and layers and plot styles and all other settings comes directly from network drive so that it will be same in all the machines. even whosoever have this prob i checked their folder access also to see that there is no access issue.

thanks

jacksy

Message 10 of 12

Hi,

>> we have document management system.

Well, that's my pin now. Disable that for a time frame on your system and see if saving drawings explodes the blocks again.

Why: because document management systems are that type of applications that need to overwrite the SAVE commands (and similar commands like _QSAVE, _SAVEAS, _WBLOCK, ...) so they can get the drawing info's and save some application specific data (like drawing-id's) into the drawing for identification.

And to the issue itself ... did it start at any specific time or did this problem exist since AutoCAD was installed? Was AutoCAD running ok with previous versions (prev. version of AutoCAD and also prev. versions of your document management system)?

Good luck, - alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 11 of 12
3wood
in reply to: jaggeepatel

Just a guess, is it related to Proxy Objects display? Ensure PROXYSHOW is set to 1, PROXYGRAPHICS is set to 1, and PROXYNOTICE is set to 1.

Message 12 of 12
jaggeepatel
in reply to: 3wood

Hi Wood,

its not about proxy object display. as i have mentioned its exploding annotation block only. Still i have checked you mentioned points and its all set to 1.

thanks

jacksy

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost