Community
AutoCAD Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD Custom Buttons (aka, "oh the humanity")

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
PencilsWereSoEasy
505 Views, 9 Replies

AutoCAD Custom Buttons (aka, "oh the humanity")

Why is the button editor in ACAD 2015 still stuck in 1995 mode? I could maybe forgive the UI as low priority if Autodesk allowed PNG import or, in my wildest dreams, ICO import.

this rant brought to you by, Changing Color Schemes For The Hell Of It, Courtesy Of Autodesk.

I couldn't agree more.

Does anyone know of a way to export pictures or text as a 16x16 BMP file? I need to make buttons that say 1/2", 1/4", etc. but making these legible using the tiny squares is impossible.

Making button images should not be the most difficult part of making a custom button/macro. Auto Cad, please join everyone else in the 21st century. The new dark ribbon is fantastic tho!

Message 3 of 10
dgorsman
in reply to: m_rogoff

Just about any image editor out there?  ICOFX and GIMP come to mind.  Given the wide availability of advanced icon editors out there, I think there shouldn't be any blame for AutoDesk placing this on the back burner in favor of focusing on the core program.

Come to think of it, was there a complaint about AutoDesk both making changes *and* doing nothing?  If they did put in the work for an advanced icon editor, wouldn't that draw complaints about unnecessary/not asked for changes?

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 4 of 10
pendean
in reply to: PencilsWereSoEasy

Use a professional grade image editor (free or paid for) and create your icons that way.
That's how it's done at Autidesk and everywhere else: the built in tool is annoyingly simplistic and really meant for quick edits I suspect and no more.
Don't wait for Autidesk to be the Nanny, strike out on your own LOL
Message 5 of 10
PencilsWereSoEasy
in reply to: pendean

at the very least Autodesk could allow PNG import.

anyway, i've got maybe 50 icons that i thought i had to switch out because Autodesk changes their background color and doesn't allow transparency to accomodate their changes.

TURNS OUT...

BMP *does* allow alpha channels, *but* Photoshop doesn't create the alpha channel like it does with the PNG format (i.e. automagically). Nope, with BMP, *you* have to create the alpha channel *manually* which only *then* enables the 32 bit ARGB file structure option in your save options dialog.

and with a bit more digging, found a guy that wrote a script to parse out all the layers of a PSD to individual files. presto, work done by the awesomeness of the internet.

but thanks for the snark help dean! (i love when sites offer a strikethough option! it's like a hall pass for passive agressiveness!)

"If they did put in the work for an advanced icon editor"

we're talking about Autodesk right?  the creators (i mean, owners) of pretty much every heavyweight graphics app outside of the Adobe walls (get it? adobe walls???  LOL!  i'm up after the band)

anyway, i can only assume that autodesk has a 40 or 50MB of lightweight code in a drawer somewhere just gathering dust that they could include and bring that dialog into at least 2010.

any rough ideas for colors?  what version are you using?  i can throw something together for you.

check these out and let me know what you'd like changed.  the text color is white and there should be an alpha channel for the transparency so it should work on the dark gray theme.  but i think the 1 is a little thick, so let me know what you think. (oh and the inch-ticks were a lost cause 🙂

I would appreciate that very much. If this is a "teach a man to fish" lesson, I'm eager to learn.

What I really need is a list of fractions to show drawing scale. 1/4", 1/8", 1/16", 3/16" etc. I do not have the full list on me right now.

I want two of each, one would be white with black numbers. The other would be a contrast to it, such as red letters or dark background.

Thanks!

Message 10 of 10

this is my screen shot. It is blury

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost