Did you mean: 

autocad blank display, missing plots

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Bruceybee
451 Views, 6 Replies

autocad blank display, missing plots

I have opened an architects drawing in Autocad 2015, (student), and it is just displaying a blank plot, although the writing, i.e author, date and revisions etc, are all showing but nothing else. I know the drawing is there, as it is visible when I hover over the drawing tab, and in the external references palette (Fig 1).

I have gone into layer manager (Fig 2) and turned on all layers, thawed and unisolated all.

Any suggestions as to where it could be hiding please? Thanks in advance

Bruceybee.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: Bruceybee

Hi,

what you showed in the screenshot "error1.png" is not a preview of real data, it's just a cached small image that was created at an earlier stage. That does not necessarily mean that this is within the drawing.

Let's start at the drawing size: how big is the DWG file?

If you open the drawing, change to modelspace and press <CTRL><A> ... how many objects does the property window show as selected?

When you create a new drawing and insert this (defect) one into the new drawing, do you get anything visible?

If you can upload the drawing, then show it to us, will make it easier to isolate the problem.

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 7
Bruceybee
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

The file size is 225kb. When it is in model space and I select all (ctrl +
A) there are no items at all highlighted. Selecting all in paper space
highlights the writing in the bottom right hand corner. I have attached the
file.
Message 4 of 7
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

with 225kB the file is quite empty, if your model space selection returns 0 objects (when you have thawed all layers) then there are no objects in modelspace.

So the chance to get anything back from the dwg is quite small...look at the position of the DWG, if there is a BAK file that is larger or restore the previous file from your backup.

BTW: there is no file attached.

Sorry, - alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 5 of 7
pendean

225kb is basically an empty file: ask the file creator to send you another copy, and confirm they only meant to send you one file with everything in it.

The preview you noted in your first reply is NOT a reflection of the content of the file, it's just a picture taken the last time the file was saved.
Message 6 of 7
Bruceybee
in reply to: pendean

Thanks for your response, yes Alfred pointed the same out. I'll contact the
architect to re-send the file,
Message 7 of 7
Bruceybee
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi Alfred, Thanks very much for your response, I'll contact the architect to re-send the file first thing. Sorry about the last mail, I replied through my e-mail and I attached the file but it must not work unless you do it through the forum.
Thanks again
Ian

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost