Did you mean: 

AutoCAD and 3D printing

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
johnlangeslag
575 Views, 5 Replies

AutoCAD and 3D printing

If I make a 3D drawing in AutoCAD, convert it to a STL file and then load it in the 3d printer is this much too large and falling outside the margins of the printer. Does anyone know how to get it to the correct size. The drawing in AutoCAD scale 1 signed on 1. I can scale objects in the printer software I know but that I lose the right size.
Regards, John

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

It seems to me John, you'll need to find a printer that has a larger print envelop if you need to print your model full scale. Depending on the geometry you may be able to reorient the part diagonally.

What are your model dimensions and the print envelop?

Patrick Hughes

Engineered Design Solutions
Developer of CadTempo - Cad Time Tracking
www.cadtempo.com
Message 3 of 6
steven-g
in reply to: PatrickHughes

Just check that you are using the correct units in both programs. If one is inches and the other millimeters then that will give you problems

Message 4 of 6
JDMather
in reply to: johnlangeslag

Attach your *.dwg file here.

What does the command -dwgunits report?  (enter it exactly as I have typed the command)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 5 of 6
dgorsman
in reply to: PatrickHughes

Either that or redesign it to print in several pieces.  Have a look around - not many manufactured objects come as one unitary part, most are assembled from multiple parts.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 6 of 6
karelvinckier
in reply to: dgorsman

You can split it in multiple parts. hsbCAD made an application to split a Revit dwg in pieces for easy printing and assembling.

www.hsbLABS.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost