Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD A Great Drafting Tool Diminishes to Complaints

39 REPLIES 39
Message 1 of 40
cad-pe
1866 Views, 39 Replies

AutoCAD A Great Drafting Tool Diminishes to Complaints

In 1988 I started using AutoCAD. There was no Forum to express problems. There seemed to be no problem with creating construction drawings using AutoCAD. Until AutoCAD Architecutre 2015 I have been almost completely content with AutoCAD. AutoCAD Architecture 2015 is a bust. The individuals at Autodesk stearing the direction of the product seem to be doing what they want and not listening to the people who use their product to make a living. I've been making my living using AutoCAD and creating drawings for my employers and clients to get a pay check for 42 years.

I don't know if the people at Autodesk have lost sight of who they are working for or not. They seem to be working for themselves, creating a product that is to satisfy themselves instead of creating a product for people who buy their product to use to make a living in creating drawings. The people at Autodesk have been giving the users the option to turn new features on and off, but now there is not an option to turn most new features off if the new feature does not fit the psychology of the individual user.

This forum is a nice thermometer for Autodesk. This forum should tell Autodesk personnel how well their product is doing. All I read is complaints. I never read anything about how nice AutoCAD has become. I can say that AutoCAD 2014 is probably the last version of AutoCAD that is the best. For now?  Will AutoCAD be able to keep adding features that make it the best drafting and design tool available? There are better software packages for creating construction drawings for houses and buldings better than AutoCAD Architecture, but they don't have the "bang" of LISP, VisualLISP, VBA, and ObjectX that allow a user to perform repetitive commands.

I pray Autodesk will survive until I retire, which isn't likely to be soon. I would like to see Autodesk allow any new feature they deciide is best for their themselves and their users to have the option of being turned off, because a new feature might be of benefit all users.

I'll continue to use AutoCAD to make my living, but I will only move up from Autodesk AutoCAD Architecture 2014 (AAA 2014) when the AAA 20xx will help me produce drawings with speed and accruacy for my employers and clients to get a pay check.

39 REPLIES 39
Message 21 of 40
rkmcswain
in reply to: Steve_Johnson

Steve_Johnson wrote:
Maybe, but this is just as true for all the releases that provided the option before it was yanked in 2015.

Exactly. There was just no reason to remove it.

Shouldn't _this_ be next on the list?

screenmenu2015.png

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 22 of 40
pendean
in reply to: rkmcswain

It should be, why is that evern there... .
Message 23 of 40
khama_69
in reply to: cad-pe

I am with you on this one. I have nothing but complaints about Autocad 2016. I am having a lot of problems with simple stuff and bloody ribbon is a pain . It has lost it's functionality and user friendliness in my book. Aaray tool for instance no longer has a dialogue box and can not be invoked using FILEDIA command!! Visual styles and view parameters are better but unless you know where to find them good luck finding them. I still prefer Autocad 2008 over any of the newer versions for so many other things that are simple and effective. WHY?? Why change what was working? You have turned this product into a lemon and for some reason have stopped listening to your customers. There is next to nothing to like about 2016 at all. It's cross compalibility with other drafting software, including your own software, is crap. Navisworks manage is another great tool you have destroyed. Getting rid of presenter in Navisworks was inconceivable, and lost you a lot of clients for your lack of vision!! You guys at Autodesk need to stop changing everything and start listening to your customers or you will lose a lot more customers in the future. The older software is still way better than your latest efforts

Edited by
Discussion_Admin! 

Message 24 of 40
rkmcswain
in reply to: khama_69

khama_69 wrote:
Aaray tool for instance no longer has a dialogue box and can not be invoked using FILEDIA command!!

The Filedia controls FILE DIAlogs. Always has, always will.

If you want to use the old Array command, run the command ARRAYCLASSIC.

Message 25 of 40
jackshield

funny how dialouge box array is classic (i know im old)

have always preferred the command line version

Message 26 of 40
rkmcswain
in reply to: jackshield

jackshield wrote:

funny how dialouge box array is classic (i know im old)

have always preferred the command line version

You can still access the (old) command line version, using -ARRAY.
Message 27 of 40
jackshield

I do. And have been since the dialogue version appeared.
-ar

Sent from my iPhone
Message 28 of 40
GrantsPirate

With the ribbon and contextual tab for array who needs a dialog box or command line for arrays?  Between the array contextual tab and associative arrays we have a very powerful and easy to use feature.  I am glad they left in the options for people that don't want the new features but I can't imagine having to use the command line or old dialog for arrays.

GrantsPirate
Piping and Mech. Designer
EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Always save a copy of the drawing before trying anything suggested here.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
If something I wrote can be interpreted two ways, and one of the ways makes you sad or angry, I meant the other one.

Message 29 of 40
rkmcswain
in reply to: GrantsPirate

IMO - they restored the dialog version (ARRAYCLASSIC) and left in the command line version because a lot of people did/do not want the new associative ARRAY object.

Message 30 of 40
jackshield

MAYBE I NEED TO CHECK THEM OUT, ITS JUST NOT A TOOL I USE OFTEN,  WHEN THE DIALOGUE BOX FIRST APPEARED, IT SEEMED LIKE UNNECESSARY STEPS TO PERFORM SIMPLE ARRAYS, SO I JUST SHYED AWAY

Message 31 of 40
jackshield

I CANT EVEN FIND IT ON THE RIBBONS

Message 32 of 40
GrantsPirate

The associative array is easily toggled off in the ribbon.  I most often use associative array, get it the way I want it and use explode later if need be.

I don't know if people have thoroughly explored the associative array editing features but there are a lot of options there that I find very helpful.  My assumption is once the associative array is there many people don't know how to manipulate the array, causing them to not like it.

GrantsPirate
EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
If something I wrote can be interpreted two ways, and one of the ways makes you sad or angry, I meant the other one.

Message 33 of 40
GrantsPirate

Home, Modify, Array to start the command, then the contextual ribbon will kick in.

GrantsPirate
EXPERT ELITE MEMBER

Message 34 of 40
pendean

Type it: the RIBBON (and in the old days, MNU menu files) are not designed to hold every command/variable in the program.

Tap HELP and explore the 'classic' commands.
Message 35 of 40
jackshield
in reply to: pendean

huh?

Message 36 of 40
rkmcswain
in reply to: pendean

pendean wrote:
Tap HELP and explore the 'classic' commands.

Tapping help......

tappinghelp.png

Message 37 of 40
khama_69

Yes, that is 100%!! Manipulation is a productivity killer and I found it to be inaccurate. I don't like it at all. Why does it create a second ghost array to the side of the object being arrayed? Another waste of resources. Then you have to explode them to manipulate fuirther and to delete the unwanted objects!! It all looks like bollocks to me. If I use the classic array it is accurate, concise, requires no more manipulation after array has been done. The new array requires more clicks and commands after array has been completed. What a waste of time.

Message 38 of 40
GrantsPirate

khama_69 - You say you found it inaccurate, I haven't, can you post an example.

You say there is a ghost array to the side, I have never seen that one.

You don't explode the associative array, you have options to edit the array, as an example, hold down the CTRL key and pick one or two and hit delete.  You still have the associative array to work with and if you want those back you can get them back easily.

Everything we do is manipulating objects, this just makes it easier to change later, or adjust as necessary, add to the object you arrayed and it shows in all the others etc.

If you need to exactly fill an area, say a rectangular array inside a rectangular object, it is much easier to do with the assoc. array.

End of the day, everyone uses what they want to use.

GrantsPirate
EXPERT ELITE MEMBER

Message 39 of 40
makingiqbal
in reply to: cad-pe

hi

cant install trial pack when i download attached  error is occured

i want to download it i seen solution from internet example

i download ms visual x62 and ms dl package that also cant install

my windows 8.1 i already ubdated

please help me

Message 40 of 40
pendean
in reply to: makingiqbal

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost