Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD 2015 SP2 - move UCS origin without altering axis

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
twooller
1460 Views, 3 Replies

AutoCAD 2015 SP2 - move UCS origin without altering axis

I have recently transitioned from AutoCAD 2010 to AutoCAD 2015 and I am sure that this is a simple issue, but I cannot get to the bottom of it - any help would be appreciated.

I am working in 3D mode and I want to move the UCS origin without changing the alignment of the axis. In 2010 this was simply done by selecting the ORIGIN tool from the coordinates group and selecting the new origin point. In 2015, as things stand, whenever I do this what happens is that one of the faces on by solids selects and the UCS aligns with the face.

As things stand I can find very little difference between the UCS/ORIGIN operation and the UCS/FACE operation.

I have tried altering UCSDETECT - makes no difference.

I have tried various other things suggest from various internet searches - all to no effect.

I have tried just moving the origin using the UCS Origin Grip - when I position the origin at the new location the axis immediately rotate to match the face.

So how do I just move the UCS origin without changing anything else?

Thanks,

Tim

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
EmmanuelGarcia
in reply to: twooller

Since you have already set UCSDETECT to 0, then it's time for something more drastic. Make sure ORTHO mode is OFF.

Instead, draw a line starting at the new origin and growing to the right. Click at the new origin and then type something like @100,0. Then type UCS E L, to use the last entity as the basis for the newly relocated origin UCS. This worked here. Actually, both methods work, provided UCSDETECT and ORTHO are both disabled or turned off.

Thank G_d there is always more than 7 ways to do anything in AutoCAD. 😉

Message 3 of 4
nestly2

This change happened with the release of AutoCAD2012 when direct manipulation was added to the UCS icon via Grips.  I don't know the variable name (or if there is one) but if you select the UCS Icon then hover the center grip, you'll be able to choose the behavior while moving the UCS.  Once set, UCS>Origin should remember your choice.

UCS Icon options.gif

Message 4 of 4
twooller

Thanks for the ideas.

I think that I have finally worked this out. There is a difference between what appears to be happening and what actually happens.

The control that makes the difference is UCSDETECT, however it doesn't appear to make any difference while the origin operation is in progress. It does however affect the outcome.

So when UCSDETECT is OFF (0) and the UCS/ORIGIN command is performed you move the cursor around the 3D objects and various faces highlight and the UCS display rotates all over the place. However, if you ignore this and just make sure that the correct point is selected when you release the mouse button the UCS display immediately reverts to its original alignment no matter how it was displayed while it was being moved!

So what is confusing is that if you start off with UCSDETECT ON (1) and try the UCS/ORIGIN then you end up with a change in alignment of the axis. So then you turn UCSDETECT OFF (0) and try again - what appears to be happening on the screen is the same as it was before, the alignment of the axis is altering, so you assume that the outcome will be the same. So you concentrate on trying to fix the 'problem' when there isn't really one because the axis will revert to its original alignment when the operation completes.

Mind you, why the faces are highlighting etc. when UCSDETECT is OFF (0) is slightly beyond me!

Tim

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost