Did you mean: 

Autocad 2015 slow command switching between open drawings

17 REPLIES 17
SOLVED
Message 1 of 18
johnsnow
1923 Views, 17 Replies

Autocad 2015 slow command switching between open drawings

I have an odd problem.  Sometimes when I have multiple drawings open my commands are entered on a different drawing than the one that is "active".  For example, I have two or three drawings open.  I switch to one and type a command.  Nothing appears on the command line.  However, when I click on another open drawing, the command might be there!  If I click back to the original drawing Autocad usually catches up and enters commands correctly.

I had the same problem on my old computer after switching to Acad 2015.  I figured it was becase the hard drive was very full and consequently much slower, but the brand-new computer (also Win 7) does the same thing.

Any ideas?

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
rkmcswain
in reply to: johnsnow

I have seen that occasionally on 2015. I think it might be due to the built-in "drawing tabs"...

Would like to turn off these built in ones and go back to using the 3rd party one, but they don't make it for 2015....

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 3 of 18
pendean

How are you switching between drawings? Drawing Tabs or some other method? What if you used another method, does the problem go away?
Message 4 of 18
johnsnow
in reply to: pendean

I use the built-in tabs from Autocd 2015.  I suppose I could switch back to ctrl-tab to switch, but that seems to be a step back.

Message 5 of 18
pendean

The tabs sometimes present the problem you describe: CTRL-tab and Windows' own tab methods do not exhibit the problem for me ever/yet 🙂
Message 6 of 18
johnsnow

Thanks, Autodesk! When they close a door on one problem, they open a door to another.
Message 7 of 18
hmunsell

Have you ever seen this happen in the middle of a command? i have staff that are having similar issues. But what is happening to them is they will have multiple tabs open and when auto-save kicks in (as the command is kicked off) the resulting command switched to another tab.

Example... Doing a zoom extents from the KB (old school) and type Z enter E enter, but the Auto-save got kicked off from the zoom command. now for some reason you don’t see the "E" in your command line. The "E" is in the command line of one of the other tabs that was never opened. 

When i first heard them complaining about it i thought it had to be operator error, but i have seen it happen on multiple PC's to multiple staff. 

Any ideas..... ?

Howard Munsell
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 8 of 18
pendean
in reply to: hmunsell

We see this phenomenon occasionally on a user triggered QSAVE: a colleague of mine thinks it has to do with how many files are open in a session and length of time in one drawing why the others wait with no activity.
Unfortunately it's been infrequent enough and not easily repeatable on demand that we've not been able to diagnose it. And AFAIK we've not seen your variation.
Message 9 of 18
hmunsell

Interesting, i had one of my guys demonstrate it for me about an hour ago. He had a fresh session of C3D open and 2 files that had only open for a min or two. i set the autosave to 1min for convince and he started working. within the first autosave it was doing it. he typed Z for zoom, autosave kidked in and no E..... the E was on the command line of the other drawing tab that had not been activated. Weird.....

Howard Munsell
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 10 of 18
pendean
in reply to: hmunsell

Weird!

Plain AutoCAD 2015 here, no C3D: I tried your test, no drawing tab changed with an E after a Z.
Message 11 of 18
hmunsell

i couldn't duplicate it on My PC either.... 🙂

I have a handful of staff that it does happening to though and it only seems to happen in C3D 2015.

Howard Munsell

EESignature

Message 12 of 18
SteveMazza4062

This problem still exists, and it is impacting my productivity.  This is on Civil 3D 2019.1.2.  I don't think it was this frequent on version 2018.

It's very frustrating to have to stop what I am doing, close all drawings, and start again.  This can happen as often as every few minutes under the worst circumstances.

Disabling autosave and saving less often doesn't seem like a good solution.  Autodesk has trained us to save constantly because of all the other unfixed bugs and crashes.  Plus user error, which can happen to any of us.  "What did I just do?  Hmm, last save was 2 minutes ago.  I will just close and reopen."

It would be nice to see this fixed.  I don't know if the Command Line is a high priority for Autodesk, as it's not new and shiny.

This bug intersected with another 2019 bug yesterday.  The "Level of Detail" toggle is missing from the 2019 Ribbon.  Autodesk just said "oops", you have to type the command to run it.  But the command line had stopped working, so I couldn't type.  😕

Message 13 of 18
RobDraw
in reply to: SteveMazza4062

I think you are experiencing a different problem. You should probably post over in the C3D forum as this is not a common issue in plain old AutoCAD as you can see by this thread.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 14 of 18
cadffm

The commandline works all the time so far the program works and no dialog window is open.

- Sebastian -
Message 15 of 18
rkmcswain

@SteveMazza4062 wrote:

This problem still exists, and it is impacting my productivity. This is on Civil 3D 2019.1.2.

It's very frustrating to have to stop what I am doing, close all drawings, and start again.

There is no need to close everything and restart Civil 3D. Just run the command LEVELOFDETAILOFF, and never turn that on again. 

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 16 of 18
SteveMazza4062
in reply to: rkmcswain

I don't think you read my post.  I couldn't type any Level of Detail command because the command line didn't work ... as mentioned by the original poster.  Two issues intersecting.

Message 17 of 18
SteveMazza4062
in reply to: RobDraw

My installation experiences the command line problem as described by the original poster.  I found this page by searching for a solution to the problem I was facing.  As this thread shows, it affects multiple versions of the software, both with and without verticals like Civil 3D.

Message 18 of 18
pendean

"I think you are experiencing a different problem. You should probably post over in the C3D forum as this is not a common issue in plain old AutoCAD as you can see by this thread."

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost