Community
AutoCAD LT Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD LT Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD LT topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD 2015 LT, Switchable Graphics, HP 450 G1

26 REPLIES 26
Message 1 of 27
Anonymous
8997 Views, 26 Replies

AutoCAD 2015 LT, Switchable Graphics, HP 450 G1

Hey Guys,

I have a HP Probook 450 G1 with AutoCAD 2015 LT installed on it.

HP.JPG

It seems to only want to use the Onboard Intel HD 4600 Graphics card and not the AMD Radeon HD 8600/8700M.

Autocad 2015 LT Graphics.JPG

Even if I set the AMD Catalyst Control Center to use AutoCad in High Performance i.e. using the AMD Graphics, it still chooses the Onboard Intel.

AMD Catalyst CC.JPG

I've Installed the latest AMD & INtel Graphics Drivers from the Official Websites:

AMDhttp://support.amd.com/en-us/download/mobile?os=Windows%207%20-%2064#amd-catalyst-packages
Intelhttps://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=23714&lang=eng&OSVersion=Windows%207...

Graphic Prop.JPG

You will notice that the Intel Graphics is a older version in the screenshot as I tried it as a test first. Afterwards I updated to the latest one 🙂

I've looked in the Bios to check if there is anyway to force the Laptop to use the AMD as the Primary Display Adapter, but unfortunately there is only 1 option regarding graphics. Intel Hybrid Graphics on/off, that is the only option. If I turn it off I am unable to see the AMD, only the Intel.

Not sure if this will be helpfull but here is my Tuner Log:

Card name: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600
Driver version: 9.18.10.3272
Tuning Date: 2014/05/23
Virtual device: Dx11 (Hardware)
The card and driver meets the recommended requirement.

Display Adapters:
Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600(Primary)
Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600
Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600
RDPDD Chained DD
RDP Encoder Mirror Driver
RDP Reflector Display Driver

Certification:
Hardware Available True
Hardware Recommended False
Status 0
Hardware ID 2
Hardware Feature Level 50
Software Feature Level 50

General Options:
Adaptive Degradation True
Discard Backfaces True
Dynamic Tessellation True
Generate Vertex Normals False
Handedness Right
Maximum LODs 6
Redraw on Window Expose True
Surface Tessellation Tolerance 92
Transparency MediumQuality

Additional System Information:
ComputerSystem
Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard
Model HP ProBook 450 G1
NumberOfProcessors 1
TotalPhysicalMemory 8465268736

Processor
MaxClockSpeed 2201
Name Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4702MQ CPU @ 2.20GHz
NumberOfCores 4
NumberOfLogicalProcessors 8
Revision 15363

OperatingSystem
Name Microsoft Windows 7 Professional |C:\Windows|\Device\Harddisk0\Partition2
OSLanguage 1033
ServicePackMajorVersion 1
ServicePackMinorVersion 0
TotalSwapSpaceSize
TotalVirtualMemorySize 16531864
Version 6.1.7601

DiskDrive
Model HGST HTS541010A9E680 SCSI Disk Device
Name \\.\PHYSICALDRIVE0
Size 1000202273280

DesktopMonitor0
MonitorManufacturer (Standard monitor types)
MonitorType Generic PnP Monitor
Name Generic PnP Monitor
ScreenHeight 768
ScreenWidth 1366

DesktopMonitor1
MonitorManufacturer
MonitorType Default Monitor
Name Default Monitor
ScreenHeight
ScreenWidth

DisplayConfiguration
DeviceName Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600
DisplayFrequency 60
DriverVersion 8.14.01.6374
PelsHeight 768
PelsWidth 1024

VideoController0
AdapterDACType Internal
AdapterRAM 2214592512
ConfigManagerErrorCode 0
CurrentHorizontalResolution 1366
CurrentVerticalResolution 768
DriverDate 20130808000000.000000-000
DriverVersion 9.18.10.3272
InstalledDisplayDrivers igdumdim64.dll,igd10iumd64.dll,igd10iumd64.dll,igdumdim32,igd10iumd32,igd10iumd32
Name Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600
Status OK
TimeOfLastReset
VideoArchitecture 5
VideoModeDescription 1366 x 768 x 4294967296 colors

VideoController1
AdapterDACType Internal DAC(400MHz)
AdapterRAM 2147483648
ConfigManagerErrorCode 0
CurrentHorizontalResolution
CurrentVerticalResolution
DriverDate 20140417000000.000000-000
DriverVersion 14.100.0.0
InstalledDisplayDrivers aticfx64.dll,aticfx64.dll,aticfx64.dll,aticfx32,aticfx32,aticfx32,atiumd64.dll,atidxx64.dll,atidxx64.dll,atiumdag,atidxx32,atidxx32,atiumdva,atiumd6a.cap,atitmm64.dll
Name AMD Radeon HD 8600/8700M
Status OK
TimeOfLastReset
VideoArchitecture 5
VideoModeDescription

Process Information:
Loaded ARX and CRX Modules
acapp.arx
acapp.crx
acgsconfig.arx
acgsconfig.crx
acvmtools.crx
accloudconnect.crx
acconnectwebservices.arx
aclaunchnfw.arx
acsign.arx
acltutil.arx
acsavevp.arx
acdim.arx
acdim.crx
AcFdUi.arx
acexperience.arx
acpublish.crx
acsecopt.arx

Effects:
ACAD_LineSmoothing supported turned on
ACAD_PerPixelLighting supported turned on
ACAD_AdvancedMaterial supported turned on
ACAD_FullShadows supported turned on
ACAD_TextureCompression supported turned off

I've read through these discussions to try and resolve the issue:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-2013-2014-2015/AutoCAD-2015-Switch-to-dedicated-video-graphics...
http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-2013-2014-2015/Graphics-problem-in-AutoCAD-2015/td-p/4923772/h...
http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-2010-2011-2012/quot-Display-driver-Intel-Graphics-Accelerator-...

None of these were of any help and it seems like it is still an ongoing issue with different Laptops that have Dual Graphics Cards.

Please can anyone confirm if this is an issue with AutoCad 2015 LT?

Many Thanks,

Andrew

26 REPLIES 26
Message 2 of 27
pendean
in reply to: Anonymous

It's an issue with the current crop of laptops with dual video cards: Autodesk hasn't adjusted to this latest trend yet in consumer electronics.

Contact HP support while you wait here and see if they can offer any tips on having your expensive add-on vid card be the primary OS/System choice instead of the Intel onboard option.
Message 3 of 27
nrz13

I had to disable the Intel onboard graphics in my BIOS before AutoCAD 2015 would recognize my AMD card.  FYI, AMD also advised removing the Intel graphics drivers as well.

Edit:  This would obviously disable your switchable graphics feature.

Work:  AutoCAD 2022.1.3, Windows 10 Pro v22H2 64-bit, Intel Core i7-8700K, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Pro SSD, AMD Radeon Pro WX 5100, 3 Dell Monitors (3840x2160)
Home: AutoCAD 2022.1.3, Windows 10 Pro v22H2 64-bit, Intel Core i7-11700, 64GB RAM, Samsung 980 Pro SSD, NVIDIA Quadro P2200, Dell Monitor (3840x2160)
Message 4 of 27
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

Hey Dean,

Thanks for the prompt response!

I will check with HP if they can assist in the mean time.

Thanks,

Andrew

Message 5 of 27
Anonymous
in reply to: nrz13

Hi nrz13,

Unfortunely there is no Option in the Bios to do that on this Laptop.

😞

If I remove the Intel drivers, the screen goes blank and it just installs them again. I could not find a way to not search for new drivers when a new device is available.

Thanks for the quick response 🙂

Thanks,

Andrew

Message 6 of 27
nrz13

If you're a subscription member, I'd file a ticket in the Autodesk Subscription Center.

Work:  AutoCAD 2022.1.3, Windows 10 Pro v22H2 64-bit, Intel Core i7-8700K, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Pro SSD, AMD Radeon Pro WX 5100, 3 Dell Monitors (3840x2160)
Home: AutoCAD 2022.1.3, Windows 10 Pro v22H2 64-bit, Intel Core i7-11700, 64GB RAM, Samsung 980 Pro SSD, NVIDIA Quadro P2200, Dell Monitor (3840x2160)
Message 7 of 27
11thHour
in reply to: nrz13

Hi there. I seem to be having exactly this problem with on-board intel HD graphics preventing use of my expensive Nvidia Quadro 400 card in both AutoCAD 2015 and Revit / Revit LT 2014. NOTE: THIS IS NOT A LAPTOP.

I have a Lenovo ThinkCentre with on-board intel HD graphics, which I am using to run my 2nd monitor. My main monitor runs off the Quadro and all was well until we were upgraded to AutoCAD 2015 and I start getting the "Hardware Acceleration" off message, with the button to turn it on greyed out. AutoCAD 2015 shows only the on-board graphics.

I do not have a option to disable the on-board graphics within BIOS, I can only uninstall the driver for it, in order to force AutoCAD 2015 to use the Quadro card. However this means I am only able to use a single monitor which is completely unacceptable.

The user should be able to tell the software which graphics processor to use - especially when Autodesk seem to be so insistant on telling users they MUST use a specific card / driver combo. What is the point of having the graphics performance window if you cannot choose your prefered GPU within it? I understand that you can alter settings in the Nvidia/AMD control panels of SOME drivers to choose which GPU to use for AutoCAD but not in any of the 6 drivers I spent all day trying yesterday.

In my opinon, as a user of AutoCAD for 15+ years now and an avid system builder/overclocker/gamer and general geek, this problem lies squarely with Autodesk in their complete lack of thorough testing. They should be concentrating on releasing every two years with enough time for testing, not every year as they currently do, in order to try to justify their subscription fee model.

See attached screen shots for system info / drivers installed.

Autodesk have failed yet again - all because of short term corporate greed as usual.

Message 8 of 27
braudpat
in reply to: 11thHour

Hello

Welcome to the Autodesk/AutoCAD Forums !

Have you installed the SP 1 for ACAD 2015 / SP 1 for ACAD LT 2015 ?

Because this SP 1 corrects some bugs and must address this problem !?

*** SP 1 for ACAD 2015 ***

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/downloads/caas/downloads/content/autocad-2015-service-...

*** SP 1 for ACAD LT 2015 ***

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad-lt/downloads/caas/downloads/content/autodesk-autocad-l...

Patrice ( Supporting Troops ) - Autodesk Expert Elite
If you are happy with my answer please mark "Accept as Solution" and if very happy please give me a Kudos (Felicitations) - Thanks

Patrice BRAUD

EESignature

Message 9 of 27
pendean

Software can't override a hardware or bios inability: that's up to the PC maker to offer.
If the 2015 update doesn't help then you are out of luck with that Lenovo PC.
Nice rant though, your frustration is noticed but your assumptions are way off base. Buy a better PC, dual vid cards or build one based on your vast "experience" next time.
Message 10 of 27
braudpat

Hello

+1 with Pendean

If you have a Hardware limitation, the Software can't help you !

If you are happy with my answer please mark "Accept as Solution" and if very happy please give me a Kudos (Felicitations) - Thanks

Patrice BRAUD

EESignature

Message 11 of 27
rkmcswain

pendean wrote:
Nice rant though, your frustration is noticed but your assumptions are way off base.
Is this actually a reply to "11thHour"? It displays as a reply to the OP (post#1).
R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 12 of 27
pendean
in reply to: rkmcswain

mobile app limitation sadly: yes it was a reply to post #7 in this thread.
Message 13 of 27
Anonymous

I also have this problem, please let me know if any solution is found.  The latest service pack did not do anything.  I have the exact same laptop setup.

Message 14 of 27
franck.noze

Hi Guy,

The SP2 solve the same problem on Acad Map 3D 2015.

BR.

Message 15 of 27
braudpat
in reply to: franck.noze

Hello

Thks for your feedback on MAP 2015 + SP 2 !

Patrice BRAUD

EESignature

Message 16 of 27
jggerth

@pendean wrote:
Software can't override a hardware or bios inability: that's up to the PC maker to offer.

If 2015 SP2 is fixing the issue of not being able to use the alternate graphics card in Acad, then it seems it really is a software issue.  Noting that no-one really _wants_ to disable the Intel graphics, they just want Acad to use the high end card.

I can't test it out, since my home machine works just fine, and as for the office PoS - well nothing I can do about that anyway,

Message 17 of 27
Anonymous
in reply to: jggerth

Hi i can confirm that there has been no change or me after installing SP2.  I am currently using AutoCAD LT 2015.  Plus just as a side note: for the laptop in this discussion the  option of disabling the primary card does not work.  There is no option to disable it in the bios if you disable it from device manager there will be no display on startup and the only way i could resolve it was then going into safe mode.

Message 18 of 27
braudpat

Hello

Welcome to the Autodesk/AutoCAD Forums !

Maybe a "stupid" idea : have you patched your Notebook/PC with the latest Bios ?

Patrice BRAUD

EESignature

Message 19 of 27
Anonymous
in reply to: braudpat

Yes I have the latest bios version installed.  In the bios it only gives the option to have hybrid grafix or to disable the dGPU.

Message 20 of 27
basharg

Hi,

I have found out that the optimal driver for my probook 450 G1 setup is a probook 850 driver !

Here is the download link:http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?sp4ts.oid=5405106&swItemId=ob_135988_1&swEnvOid=405...

Hope it helps someone out there 🙂

P.S:This only works with 8750m + intel combo and you install it directly over the original hp driver pack,and tick everything in the installtion.

Good luck!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost