Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD 2015 line placement issue

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
jschumacherwapc
673 Views, 8 Replies

AutoCAD 2015 line placement issue

I just got the 2015 version yesterday and am noticing some simple things from previous versions that have changed, and I can't seem to figure out...  One that is killing me is trying to place a line from a point/grip at a specific extension distance.  It shows the "x" as I follow along the existing line, but as soon as I type in a specific distance I want it to begin at, it throws my line starting point seeminling random into model space...Can anyone explain why it is this is happening...and hopefully there is a simple way to fix it???  Thanks!  

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
nestly2
in reply to: jschumacherwapc

jschumacherwapc wrote:

Can anyone explain why it is this is happening...and hopefully there is a simple way to fix it??? 

Believe it or not, the start point isn't "random" but neither is it the correct behavior.   I'll explain it if you want, but the short answer is that there's a bug in AutoCAD when both Dynamic Pointer Input is disabled and the Command Line is floating.

If you dock the Command Line, OR turn on Dynamic Pointer Input, it should work as you expect.

Message 3 of 9
jschumacherwapc
in reply to: nestly2

Thanks for the quick response nestly2. I have my Command Line docked. Where do I find the Dynamic Pointer Input?
Message 4 of 9
nestly2

Right click on the Dynamic Input Icon  and/or use DSETTINGS to access the Drafting Settings > Dynamic Input tab.  You can experiment with which works best for you, but I don't recommend using the "Dimension Input" if you frequently use tracking.

Dynamic Input Dimensional Pointer Input.gif

Message 5 of 9
jschumacherwapc

That was good advice nestly2, but no such luck for me... It just seems like there would be a way to associate your input with the grip being referenced...but every setting I change it to seems to want exact coordinates related to 0,0,0. I'm going to continue trying, but still need help!
Message 6 of 9
nestly2

Sorry I mis-diagnosed your problem, but I still have more ideas. 

Is this a clean install of AutoCAD2015, or did you migrate your setting from a previous version? 

If a clean install, are you basically running the default settings, or did you go into "Options" and "DSETTINGS" and change setting to suit your preferences?

I'm just trying to get a feel for how close AutoCAD is to it's "default settings"

Also, what's the previous version you referenced? Things change a little evey year, so knowing which release  you're comparing 2015 to might be helpful

Last request is a screenshot that shows your status bar, and what it looks like just before you press <enter> and the line snaps to a "random" point (siimilar to what's shown below)

AutoCAD2015 screenshot.jpg

Message 7 of 9
jschumacherwapc

This is a brand new setup of autocad 2015. I've made small changes to my option settings, and I've tried different settings for my dynamic input...but none of them seem to change/help. The settings are fairly close to default overall.
Message 8 of 9
pendean

Walk us through your exact command sequences and what you type (and hint where you are clicking on screen) and let's see if you can replicate your issue.

On the surface, it appears you want relative distance entry (@x,y) and getting absolute entry (#x,y) but I'm unsure from your description.
Message 9 of 9
jschumacherwapc
in reply to: pendean

After extensive time trying different option selections, I've figured it out! I'm not sure if all of these selections were to affect what was happening, but here are my current settings to have my osnap/extension input work.

OPTIONS>USER PREFERENCES>"PRIORITY FOR COORDINATE DATA ENTRY" is set to "Keyboard Entry"
OPTIONS>DRAFTING>"ALIGNMENT POINT AQUISISTION" is set to "Automatic"
DRAFTINGSETTINGS>POLAR TRACKING>"OBJECT SNAP TRACKING" is set to "Track using all polar angle settings"
DYNAMIC INPUT> POINTER INPUT SETTINGS>polar format, absolute coordinates
OSNAP>select "extension" along with any other preferred snaps

I also have my command line locked, even though it didn't seem to change anything whether I had it open or not.

I appreciate the help and advice Nestly2. I was sure it was a bug, as so many forums were suggesting, but I'm assuming now that it was just a matter of having all the right settings. Hopefully I've saved others the hours I've just spent trying to have this simple feature work correctly!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost