Community
AutoCAD Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD 2015 Layout Tab Thumbnails (Preview)

69 REPLIES 69
SOLVED
Message 1 of 70
cad-pe
22439 Views, 69 Replies

AutoCAD 2015 Layout Tab Thumbnails (Preview)

Is there a way to turn off the Layout Tab Thumbnails (Previews)? When I'm drafting, I want speed and accuracy. I don't need to see the Layout Tab Thumbnail. It pops up when I don't need to look at it. I know what the layout tab represents by the name I've assigned to it.

So, is there a way to turn off the Layut Tab Thumbnail Preview?

69 REPLIES 69
Message 2 of 70
R.Gerritsen4967
in reply to: cad-pe

Do you mean the preview from the file tab? If so, try (one of) these sysvars: FILETABPREVIEW FILETABSTATE FILETABTHUMBHOVER NEWTABMODE
Message 3 of 70
cad-pe

It's the thumbnails, the little drawing previews when hovering the cursor over the LAYOUT tabs, not the file tabs at the top of the editor. The LAYOUT tabs are at the bottom of the editor. The LAYOUT tabs allow swiching to the paper space.

Message 4 of 70
pendean

QVLAYOUTCLOSE variable like all previous versions of AutoCAD perhaps? It's a per-drawing setting unless you create it as part of your startup to trigger when you open each.
Also look up QVDRAWINGCLOSE variable to extend it's use.
What are you doing in R2014? The one you claim to be going back to now?
Message 5 of 70
cad-pe
in reply to: pendean

When the cursor hovers on a LAYOUT tab in AutoCAD 2014 the thumbnail is appears to be a little slower to appear than in AutoCAD 2015.

Message 6 of 70
pendean

Slow 2014, a complaint/bug for others but not you 🙂
Message 7 of 70
Victoria.Studley

Hi cad-pe,

It isn't possible at this time to toggle the Layout tab previews off when you hover. However, if you'd like to avoid these, another alternative may be to use CTRL+Page Up and CTRL+Page Down to cycle through your tabs.

There seems to be a decent amount of interest in a toggle for the Layout tab preview. If you'd like to see this changed in a future release, I recommend submitting your suggestion via our Product Feedback Page.

Victoria Studley
Content Experience Designer - Fusion 360
Fusion 360 | Learn & Support
Documentation | Contact Support
Message 8 of 70
cad-pe
in reply to: Victoria.Studley

Victoria:

Thank you for the suggestion. One of my purposes while using AutoCAD is to have a high productivity rate while create drawings for my clients. I look for ways to reduce the number of interactions with AutoCAD to get the work done quickly. If I hold the Cntrl key down with my left hand and the Page-Up/Page-Down keys are on the right side of the keyboard, I need to remove my and from the mouse (puck in my case, because I use a digitizer). Taking my hand off the mouse, puck reduces my productivity. If I do this repetitively, wow, slow.

So, you see that it's important to me to be able to turn off the thumbnails. I know what my layout tabs represent in paper space because the tabs are labeled with text by me. I can understand if someone other than myself uses my drawings and wants to quickly get an idea of what the layout tab/paper space drawing is, then a thumbnail can be valuable.

The thumbnails need a SETVAR to contol their visiblity: ON/OFF, 0/1.

Message 9 of 70
w64bit

+1

Message 10 of 70
SANT_MIKE

@cad-pe wrote:

Thank you for the suggestion. One of my purposes while using AutoCAD is to have a high productivity rate while create drawings for my clients. I look for ways to reduce the number of interactions with AutoCAD to get the work done quickly. If I hold the Cntrl key down with my left hand and the Page-Up/Page-Down keys are on the right side of the keyboard, I need to remove my and from the mouse (puck in my case, because I use a digitizer). Taking my hand off the mouse, puck reduces my productivity. If I do this repetitively, wow, slow.

Try CTRL + TAB that's how I shift through TABS without needing to click on them. At least the keys are both on the left hand side of the keyboard for you.

Also I'll add my +1 to being able to turn this annoying auto preview off while hovering over tabs.

I work in model space and while moving the mouse up to click on buttons the autopreview keeps popping up on inactive tabs and swapping it to paperspace, I'm continually having to swap tabs back to modelspace.

Message 11 of 70
fipher
in reply to: R.Gerritsen4967

I think that this is the best solution.  I used the FILETABSTATE command, and changed it from 1 to 0.  Now when I hover over the file tab I no longer get a ribbon of thumbnails.  Instead, I see a small dropdown menu with the titles of all my paperspace layouts.  It's MUCH faster.  There is also the added bonus that I have less chance of accidentally clicking on one of the thumbnails.

Message 12 of 70
LeafRiders
in reply to: fipher

This "FILETABSTATE" you speak of is "Read Only" on this end. Is there a workaround. Autodesk really, readonly variables, oh my, I never thought this day would come. If you can offer comment on how to change this to "0" please, I am offering up Kudos to get this drawing tab preview to go away. 🙂

Message 13 of 70

Hi Kelly,

You can adjust the FILETABSTATE setting from 1 to 0 by toggling the icon on the View ribbon tab > Windows panel, as shown below:

2015_FILETABSTATE.png

Victoria Studley
Content Experience Designer - Fusion 360
Fusion 360 | Learn & Support
Documentation | Contact Support
Message 14 of 70
rkmcswain
in reply to: SANT_MIKE

SANT_MIKE wrote:

Try CTRL + TAB that's how I shift through TABS without needing to click on them.

CTRL+TAB switches documents, not between layouts within the same document.

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 15 of 70
rkmcswain

@fipher - I think you meant to say LAYOUTTAB, which can be switched from 1 to 0. Unfortunately, this turns the layout tabs completely OFF.

Presuming that is correct, then the next two posts from @LeafRiders and @Victoria.Studley do not apply since they are talking about the FILE tabs, not the Layout tabs.

Message 16 of 70

VStudley wrote:

It isn't possible at this time to toggle the Layout tab previews off when you hover. 

There seems to be a decent amount of interest in a toggle for the Layout tab preview. If you'd like to see this changed in a future release, I recommend submitting your suggestion via our Product Feedback Page.

Was this changed for AutoCAD 2016? Realistically, even if they decided to make this change/addition, we wouldn't see it until AutoCAD 2017 at the earliest, unless it was already in the works.

Like @cad-pe - I find this pretty annoying too and would like to see an option to disable it.

Message 17 of 70
fipher
in reply to: rkmcswain

@rkmcswain nope I am talking about file tabs - top of the screen.  In the latest releases of AutoCAD, when you hover your mouse over a file tab, a bunch of thumbnails showing the different layouts within that file appear in a ribbon below the tabs.  I suppose the idea is that you can click directly into a layout instead of going to model space (or wherever you were last in that file).  It's annoying though, because it's really easy to accidentally click one of these thumbnails, when 95% of the time you just want to go to model space.

That said - I think I put the wrong command on this post - the command to use is FILETABPREVIEW.  Set this to 0.  it makes it so that the thumbnails don't appear (instead a dropdown list appears) 

Message 18 of 70
fipher
in reply to: LeafRiders

@LeafRiders Try FILETABPREVIEW.  Set this to 0.  I think that'll do it.

Message 19 of 70
rkmcswain

fipher wrote:
rkmcswain, nope I am talking about file tabs - top of the screen.

But that is not the point of this thread. 

The OP asked "Is there a way to turn off the Layout Tab Thumbnails (Previews)?"

Message 20 of 70
PMeints

Quick solution.... revert back to 2004 when things were simpler and far more efficient.

I would argue the newer versions of AutoCAD are being "developed" to the lowest common denominator. I honestly find little benefits of the new features compared to the hinderence offered as the expense a bit of a laugh... and annoying. When were the last days you open CAD and didn't turn a bunch of stuff off.... I want to go back to those days!

Perhapse they need to release "AutoCAD Legacy (2004) +plus third party add-ons" for us users that just want a raw race car!

Just my thoughts, take them for what they are.

Later,

Phill

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost