Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD 2015 is complete garbage

55 REPLIES 55
Message 1 of 56
rereese
8916 Views, 55 Replies

AutoCAD 2015 is complete garbage

So our office is in the process of upgrading everything to the new 2015 due to our subscription that i must say we are getting ripped off.

We pay thousands of dollars every year for new autocad / revit suite and for what?  NOthing but garbage.

The new autocad doesnt work for crap.  half the commands arent recognized, its slower than crap and i must say i feel ripped off.

Its slow, sluggish, ddedit doesn't even work to edit text.  Unbelievable.  Anyone have any ideas of where to start.

I have go things working better by turning most every feature off but its still very slow.

This is what i get for when i type DD for the ddedit.

Select object: Unknown command "DDEDIT". Press F1 for help.
<Entity name: FF72CCC0>

then you type out ddedit and it works but it takes forever to thing about it.  Unreal! to say the least.  Autodesk is turning into complete garbage

Oh and most the commands you have to type in at least twice in a row for it to start recognizing them.  

This isnt only on one machine either, its on several

55 REPLIES 55
Message 21 of 56

vandenoosterkamp wrote:

Changing ddedit to textedit is quite a serious issue imo.

I hope they will bring back ddedit because it's to simply keep on working the way one used to.

@TS: I use d instead of dd for ddedit, it's less typing 😉

Put it in your PGP file or create a small lisp routine for it and drop it in your "acaddoc.lsp" one time and you're done forever.

I'll even do most of it for you 😉

(defun c:d ()
 (vl-cmdf "._textedit")
)
(defun c:ddedit ()
 (c:d)
)

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 22 of 56

Thnx a lot for the tip and used syntax! I'm not much of a programmer but can bring back everything they change this way.

I do use those defun functions a little, like ff -> fill, off, regenall and fo -> fill on regenall. I'm still wondering why acad doesn't give us command like this because it's of little use to turn fill of without regenating and once one hits the fill command it's quite logical what one will do after that imo.

Message 23 of 56
jest2525
in reply to: rkmcswain

...or try dropping this into your ACADDOC.lsp file... it will work for a number of different text types by bringing up the appropriate command.

(defun C:dd (/ A B C D)
  (setvar "cmdecho" 0)
  (princ)
  (terpri)
  (setq A
         (entsel
           "\nSelect an annotation object or editable attributes: "
         )
  )
  (terpri)
  (setq B (entget (car A)))
  (setq C (assoc 0 B))
  (setq D (cdr C))
  (setq E (assoc 66 B))
  (setq F (cdr E))
  (cond
    ((= "TEXT" D)
     (command "textedit" A "")
    )
    ((= "MTEXT" D)
    )
    ((= 1 F)
     (command "ddatte" A)
    )
    ((= "DIMENSION" D)
     (command "textedit" A)
    )
    ((= "ATTDEF" D)
    )
    ((= "ARCALIGNEDTEXT" D)
     (command "arctext" A)
    )
    (if
     (/= NIL D)
     (prompt
       "\ That object has no editable text or attributes. "
     )
    )
    (t NIL)
  )
  (princ)
)

Message 24 of 56
calfcreek_2
in reply to: dgorsman

This is a most interesting response.

A 'feature' which is to 'assist users' may be getting in the way of 'faster command-line use'.

I think that just about sums up a few recent releases. LOL

Keith D. Rodebush

RA

Message 25 of 56

The stupid thing just crashed on me for the third time today. A day without a crash is a day when I am not at my desk. This upgrade is just terrible. I can deal with command changes but it is so sluggish I even went and upgraded my motherboard and my RAM and it still runs out of system resources. I cannot tell enough people - do not waste your money, stick with the older products.

Thank goodness I save every minute or so or I would be even further behind in my work than I already am. Used to run 2010 - didn't have any of these problems.

Message 26 of 56

If you are on subscription, you can install and run 2014 legally and might be worth stepping back: 2015's new graphics engine and other changes (not found in 2014 or older) are proving quite troublesome for some users.

Then tell Autodesk about it on your subscription page's CONTACT US link and here http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/item?id=1073063&siteID=123112

Not a cure, just a workaround suggestion from one end user to another.
Message 27 of 56
hflores
in reply to: pendean

So what is the point of making a new release if it is obviously not even working properly? I like to use the latest and greatest whenever possible. Autodesk seems to be releasing versions that aren't ready every year now and it is getting in the way of our productivity. I do send reports and nothing has yet to be fixed. But I do see that 2016 is about to be released.... How about Autodesk holds-off a year, making sure all the bugs are addressed and fixed, before rolling-out a newer version that is worse than the previous one? I would greatly appreciate it.

Just a few examples:

Can't rename a filename anymore within the project manager. I click on rename and it does nothing. If the drawing is open, it will finally promped me to change the filename by highlighting the name but since the file is open, it can't change it of course. But if I close it, even with the project and another file within the project open, it won't even allow me to rename the file. I have to manually change the name within windows explorer and then replace the sheet with the renamed sheet. Lame lame lame.

I'm working on a schematic, I update a component on sheet A, it prompts me to update child component on sheet B while still in the Schematic tab, it updates, saves but then takes me to a completely different tab instead of taking back to Schematic. This disrupts my flow.

I just inserted an electrical block from the icon menu. I go back to use it and now it can't find the file.

ALL of these problems and more didn't exist on 2014. I've installed all of the latest updates, which were many since I had to completely uninstall 2014 Electrical Suite because the 2015 upgrade didn't work, and now I'm sorry I ever upgraded.

These releases seem to be premature and not ready at all. If I did this at my job, release something defective, I would lose my job and our clients would leave us. I wish Autodesk would do a better job of finalizing their products before releasing them. It is affecting my productivity.

Message 28 of 56
rkmcswain
in reply to: hflores

hflores wrote:

So what is the point of making a new release if it is obviously not even working properly? I like to use the latest and greatest whenever possible. Autodesk seems to be releasing versions that aren't ready every year now and it is getting in the way of our productivity. I do send reports and nothing has yet to be fixed. But I do see that 2016 is about to be released.... How about Autodesk holds-off a year, making sure all the bugs are addressed and fixed, before rolling-out a newer version that is worse than the previous one? I would greatly appreciate it.

First off, the real answer to your question can be summed up as so:

"The basic premise which you must keep in mind is that the interests of the shareholders supersede everything else."
-sboon (forum user).

To that point, using past history as an indicator, Autodesk is going to release a new version every 12 months or so, period. How and why certain things are done or not done is really anyone's guess. I'd wager 20 shares of ADSK stock that they are not going to "hold-off a year"...

BTW: AutoCAD 2016 has been out for about a month now.

Message 29 of 56
V08J11
in reply to: rereese

I find switching to Classic Workspace always helps with the heavy feel of the new updates.    

Message 30 of 56
PMeints
in reply to: braudpat

I am completly in agreement....

There is no end to the madning level of frustration with this "NEW and IMPROVED" versions of CAD.

I can't tell you the number of times I wanted to (office space) my computer when I'm trying to flick through open drawings and the dahm preview pull down pops up and dumps me into the model space! I can't even turn that crap off!!! Who thinks this stuff up? Do they even use the software in a proffessional environment.... and if they do I bet they are "those" people we all know typing on the keyboard with one finger....slowly and incorrectly! YOU KNOW THE ONES!

On a side note ->

Anyone know how to turn off the preview function? When drawing a line with ortho and snaps on and you happen to snap lock to an object and the preview goes nuts while you drag the line to it's intended location. I don't have epilepsy but I know what it must feel like! It doesn't do it when ortho is off...... drives me nuts!

That's my rant for today!

Proud user of AutoCAD 2004 and they can try to pry it from my cold dead hands!

Message 31 of 56
rkmcswain
in reply to: PMeints

PMeints wrote:

Anyone know how to turn off the preview function? When drawing a line with ortho and snaps on and you happen to snap lock to an object and the preview goes nuts while you drag the line to it's intended location....

What preview function are you referring to? Possibly DYNMODE = 0?
Message 32 of 56
kasperwuyts

Has anyone noted problems with loading lisp routines?
One of my colleagues who uses some lisp routines in her work is getting extremely frustrated with Autocad 2015 because the program often keeps hanging from 40 seconds up to 2 minutes when she activates a new drawing or just returns to Autocad after minimalising it. In her command line, we can see it's the lisp routines that Autocad gets stuck on.

Best regards
Kasper Wuyts
in reply to: kasperwuyts

kasperwuyts wrote:
Has anyone noted problems with loading lisp routines?

I have not, in 2015 or 2016 for that matter. If you or her want to investigate at a lower level, take a look at this technique to try and identify what is causing the hang up.

Message 34 of 56
PMeints

Hi rkmcswain,

No, the problem as you can see below:

glitch.png

When ortho is on and snaps are on you can see the position of my cursor down and to the left of the mid snap. I previews a line to the snap point. I does not do this when ortho is on. This is something that started a few versions ago, not in 2004 which is the best version in my opinion..... just wish it had dynamic blocks! 🙂

If you turn off Marker and Magnet it functions like it used to in the legacy versions without the epileptic shock action.... just you loose sight of your snap box!

glitch2.png

Don't even get me started on Civil 3d..... another story all together........ anyone seen a clean build of a tie-in to existing surface yet?

I'll leave it there

Message 35 of 56
rereese
in reply to: PMeints

Wow, thats a good one.  I cant seem to get it to turn off.  It has to do with object track or trackpath, track, etc. and the auto tracking.  Trackpath has 3 options but doesnt seem to want to turn off even tho it says it should.  If you hold shift while you are drawing the line in ortho you should see that it will track properly.  Under the drafting tab in options menu you see the alignment point of acqusition options.  Notice theres nothing to turn it off there.  you found a good one here.  Looks like the only way to avoid the preview is to turn your snaps on off while drawing so it wont track to the snap.

I know that doesnt help much but thats all i could figure out for now.

Message 36 of 56
kasperwuyts

Thanks for the link!  I relayed it to my colleague, we'll see what happens.

Best regards
Kasper Wuyts
in reply to: rereese

I am only replying to stand in support of OP. Autocad has been for a long time, and based on the current state of things will continue to be the most bloated overpriced piece of crap on the market. If this software was free it would still be too costly. Even when it works it it clumsy, outdated, slow, limited, etc.

Autodesk has given us the CAD version of the Homer Simpson mobile.

Message 38 of 56
eamon.fleming
in reply to: jest2525

Jest2525 thank you for this code, all my users have been using TEDIT.lsp since the dawn of time 🙂 & I have been looking for a way to get it to work in 2018

Thanks again

Eamon

""..or try dropping this into your ACADDOC.lsp file... it will work for a number of different text types by bringing up the appropriate command.

(defun C:dd (/ A B C D)
  (setvar "cmdecho" 0)
  (princ)
  (terpri)
  (setq A
         (entsel
           "\nSelect an annotation object or editable attributes: "
         )
  )
  (terpri)
  (setq B (entget (car A)))
  (setq C (assoc 0 B))
  (setq D (cdr C))
  (setq E (assoc 66 B))
  (setq F (cdr E))
  (cond
    ((= "TEXT" D)
    )
    ((= "MTEXT" D)
    )
    ((= 1 F)
     (command "ddatte" A)
    )
    ((= "DIMENSION" D)
     (command "textedit" A)
    )
    ((= "ATTDEF" D)
    )
    ((= "ARCALIGNEDTEXT" D)
     (command "arctext" A)
    )
    (if
     (/= NIL D)
     (prompt
       "\ That object has no editable text or attributes. "
     )
    )
    (t NIL)
  )
  (princ)
)"

Message 39 of 56
eamon.fleming
in reply to: jest2525

Jest2525 thanks for the the code it works great except for one thing, Tedit would let you select multiple items first then cycle through to edit, this code will only let you select 1 item then you have to repeat the command when done to edit more items.

Or anyone else know how to modify the code to let you select multiple items?

Thanks in advance

Eamon

Message 40 of 56
sbroekhuis
in reply to: eamon.fleming

Oh yes, let's all follow a programming course so we can work with a piece of software we're paying an arm and a leg for. Autocad sucks so hard nowadays it's unbelievable. Had three crashes just today when trying to move or copy a rectangle. How sad is that? I'm fed up with losing time because of having to redo things because autocad crashes if you only look at it too long., I really don't see why it has to be so bloody expensive. My company will not continue with this garbage, time to move on to something that actually works. Now I'm going to take that stupid mongrel of a program and burn it so I'll never ever have to touch it again. What a waste of time and money!

Edited by
Discussion_Admin

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost