Did you mean: 

AutoCAD 2015 installation woes

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
donbutler
2670 Views, 9 Replies

AutoCAD 2015 installation woes

I'm sure this is a good one. I was trying to install AutoCAD 2015.

I have two computers, a Windows 8.1 desktop and a Windows 7 laptop. R2015 installed flawlessly on my desktop.

My laptop has AutoCAD versions 2008 thru 2014 installed. I keep old versions so I can test VLisp routines.

The 2015 install crashed with the popup message of “1: 5 2: adlmPITSetProductInformation failed 3: 2”. Apparently this means there is a problem in the License Manager file "ProductInformation.Pit". The return error is #1603.

AutoDesk had me uninstall all AutoDesk products and then delete the Pit file. They all uninstalled except for AutoCAD 2011. It popped up with the same “1: 5 2: adlmPITSetProductInformation failed 3: 2” message. So I used the Microsoft's Fixit Uninstaller and it claimed 2011 was uninstalled. It left the C:\programs folder full of files however. I then deleted the Pit file.

Then I installed 2015. It installed perfectly and created a new Pit file. Hurray!

Next I attempted to reinstall R2014. It crashed but without the same popup message. However, the log file indicated the same error of #1603.

I'm stumped. I just wish there was a utility to wipe the computer clean of all AutoDesk software so I could start fresh.

Anyone else ever have this happen?

Thanks

Don Butler

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
justshutup
in reply to: donbutler

My laptop has AutoCAD versions 2008 thru 2014 installed.

Doesn't that make you out of compliance license-wise?

Message 3 of 10
donbutler
in reply to: justshutup

I don't know. I have my retailer contacting AutoDesk to ask.

If you can't it would be understandable. You could have different people using every version you own.

In any case 2014 and 2015 should be able to live together.Maybe you just can't install an older version AFTER installing the newer version.

Anyway that's what AutoDesk told me to do. What's this world coming to? /s

I feel like my friends with their PhotoShop CC gripes. $$$ is all they care about. It never used to be a problem.

Message 4 of 10
pendean
in reply to: donbutler

1603 error is well documented: a search around here or through Google will show you fixes.
Message 5 of 10
chicodon
in reply to: pendean

Thanks

Message 6 of 10
chicodon
in reply to: justshutup

I found out you're only allowed the current version plus 3 previous versions. Therefore, anything prior to R2012 is not allowed.

In any case, since R2015 is already installed, R2012-R2014 won't install with out making some changes to each Setup.ini file from what I gather. At least none of them will install for me. It's not worth the trouble so I've given up. I'll have to test my Lisp code on another machine.

Message 7 of 10
pendean
in reply to: chicodon

On my Subscritpion page, 2011 is available to download/install through 2015.
Message 8 of 10
chicodon

Thanks. I see that as well. I guess you're allowed four versions back without special permission. 

I'm really curious whether anyone has been successful installing an earlier version after their R2015 installation.

I may try the download route rather than the original disks and see if that makes a difference.

Thanks again.

Message 9 of 10
pendean
in reply to: chicodon

Like most folks, older versions are already installed here.
Did you look up error-1603 solutions posted? There are apps you must remvoe first, then reinstall later among other fixes. I doubt downloads will act differently from disk installations.
Message 10 of 10
chicodon

Solution:

I was able to get R2014 to install by modifying the Setup.ini file. Setup.ini was trying to overwrite later versions of some prerequisite apps and it caused the crash.

Rather than do this for all versions, I removed all Autodesk products and deleted the Pit file. I then reinstalled versions R2009 thru R2015 in order without a hitch. I was told that I am allowed six versions back as long as I paid for the seats when they were released.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost