Did you mean: 

AutoCAD 2015 Display Plot Styles Failure

42 REPLIES 42
SOLVED
Message 1 of 43
heinsite
26840 Views, 42 Replies

AutoCAD 2015 Display Plot Styles Failure

Is anyone else seeing the Display Plot Styles function not working in Layouts in AutoCAD 2015?  I can open the same file with the same B&W plot style setting in both AutoCAD 2014 and 2015, and even though the "Display Plot Style" box is checked in the Page Setup Manager, 2014 will display the Layout on screen correctly and 2015 will not.  Both use a B&W plot style.  2014 will show onscreen correctly... 2015 will display in colors.

If I begin a brand new file in 2015 I can make this work.  But it seems files that were created in 2014 won't.  I should add that both versions will plot the files correctly, and they will display correctly in a preview.  It just appears that they will not display correctly (in this case in B&W) onscreen in the Layouts.

Either I've missed a setting somewhere or there might really be something off here.  A few independent checks by a few of you out there might help.

Thanks!

Dave.

------------------------------------------------------
Dave Hein, P.E.
42 REPLIES 42
Message 2 of 43
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: heinsite

Hi,

look to the attached drawing, I can't see any issue, the assigned "monochrome.ctb" makes objects presented as monochrome.

If you open my drawing, do you see the content of the test-layout in color?

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 43
heinsite
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Thanks, Alfred.  Yes, I can get yours to work, and I can also get my own to work as well if I create an entirely new drawing.  I just have one of my older drawings created with AutoCAD 2014 where the Plot Style is "sticky"... it just will not display the Layouts correctly no matter what I've tried.  They should show in monochrome (or B&W) onscreen.  But they refuse and so far I haven't been able to figure out why.  All of the settings appear to be identical.

Dave.

Dave Hein, P.E.
Message 4 of 43
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

tried now the following steps:

• started AutoCAD 2014
  • created a new drawing, with a red layer, with a new layout set to "monochrome.ctb" ==> looks good
  • saved that drawing and closed AutoCAD
  • opend that drawing with AutoCAD 2015 ==> looks good, it's displayed as monochrome

How about this file on your system? If my files all work may we have one of your files to test?

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 5 of 43
heinsite

@Alfred.NESWADBA wrote:

Hi,

tried now the following steps:

• started AutoCAD 2014
  • created a new drawing, with a red layer, with a new layout set to "monochrome.ctb" ==> looks good
  • saved that drawing and closed AutoCAD
  • opend that drawing with AutoCAD 2015 ==> looks good, it's displayed as monochrome

How about this file on your system? If my files all work may we have one of your files to test?

- alfred -

Unfortunately, it's not a file I can send (government/security issues)... but fortunately the problem is with only this single file so far.  My results in testing are the same as yours if I create other new files in 2014 (or 2015) and set "Display Plot Style" for a B&W or monochrome, the Layouts will display correctly in 2015.  Frustrating.

So I may either have to live with this one aboration or keep looking as I get time since I've been unable to duplicate it.  That's not to say that it won't appear again in other older files down the road... but it's appears to be one-off issue for now.

Thanks, Alfred!

Dave.

Dave Hein, P.E.
Message 6 of 43
pendean

Are you sure the file in question is not set for STB?
Message 7 of 43
heinsite
in reply to: pendean

@pendean wrote:
Are you sure the file in question is not set for STB?

Completely.  It's my own file and I never set STB.  What is odd is that it will display properly in 2014 but not in 2015.  There must be a new setting somewhere I haven't found yet.

Dave

Dave Hein, P.E.
Message 8 of 43
maxim_k

Hi Dave,
Does your problem file contains hatches with complex custom hatch pattern(s)?

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 9 of 43
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

if you run _WBLOCK with option "entire drawing", has the new dwg-file the same issue?

If you copy the layout within the same drawing ... or when you use designcenter to copy one of those layout into a new drawing ==> same problem?

And I guess you already have tried commands like _RECOVER (_RECOVERALL) and _AUDIT.

>> Unfortunately, it's not a file I can send

Well, of you erase the whole geometry in a copy of that drawing, run _PURGE, then create a layer with color red and a polyline on that, can you send this dwg (as long as this shows the described phenomen)?

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 10 of 43
heinsite
in reply to: maxim_k

@maxim_k wrote:
Hi Dave,
Does your problem file contains hatches with complex custom hatch pattern(s)?

Maxim

It does contain a hatch, but only a simple one (ANSI37).  I'm not sure how that might contribute to the problem tho'.  Suppose I could erase it and see what happens...

Dave.

Dave Hein, P.E.
Message 11 of 43
heinsite

@Alfred.NESWADBA wrote:

Hi,

if you run _WBLOCK with option "entire drawing", has the new dwg-file the same issue?

If you copy the layout within the same drawing ... or when you use designcenter to copy one of those layout into a new drawing ==> same problem?

And I guess you already have tried commands like _RECOVER (_RECOVERALL) and _AUDIT.

>> Unfortunately, it's not a file I can send

Well, of you erase the whole geometry in a copy of that drawing, run _PURGE, then create a layer with color red and a polyline on that, can you send this dwg (as long as this shows the described phenomen)?

- alfred -

I'll try these ideas when I get some time and let you know what happens. 

Thanks!

Dave.

Dave Hein, P.E.
Message 12 of 43
pendean

Can you share this file? I'm not able to replcate it at all here.
Message 13 of 43
heinsite
in reply to: pendean

I'm going to try a test today by stripping out all the confidential stuff to see if the problem remains.  If it does I'll send up a file for folks here to look at.  I can't replicate it with new files either.  It's just this one file that has the behavior.

Dave.

Dave Hein, P.E.
Message 14 of 43
heinsite

I've now marked this issue as solved.  It turned out in the end to have been a corrupted plot style file.  Somewhere, somehow the color settings got scrambled and things that should have been in color all came out in black.  This file now displays properly in both 2014 and 2015.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions.  Collectively they lead me to the answer.

Dave.

Dave Hein, P.E.
Message 15 of 43
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

thanks for your feedback, I would never ever have thougth about the CTB itself 😉

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 16 of 43
hemanray

I've got the same problem.

I've been using the same drawing over the past 5-6 years with the same plot style, page layout.  Never had a problem.

All of my solid fills are in colour - they should be screen at 20%, 30%, 40% etc.

They are currently showing in colour on the page layout page - but when printed they show up properly.

This is definetly a bug in autocad.  I have 15 or so drawings using the same layouts and plot styles.  they all work great in 2014 or lower but not in 2015

Message 17 of 43
croc49

I also have a visual style my own custom "colour" style - STB - that hasn't changed in years.

I've attached ACA2014 plotted example (1) which has always worked, and also the same drawing ACA2015 (2).

They both work fine in "parallel" isometrics, but ACA2015 has internal lines bleeding through when changed to "perspective".

I tried the _Wblock idea and it now works fine, but by blocking, drawing properties are lost (probably other things I will find out later).

It is not a good solution, and was hoping to find something within original drawing to change and fix.

Tweaked all my "colour" visual style settings with no success.

Guess my question is how did Wblock fix it ?

And any ideas how to fix original drawing ?

Message 18 of 43
hemanray

I've tried wblock the whole drawing - but nothing changes.  The display is still the same.

I change the graphic setting by turning Hardware acceleration off - but no avail.

I tried to recreate the file - but no changes.

I've tried several different drawings from my database,  and the problem is persists on every single one.

I've got over 75,000 files that uses the same *.ctb file , I'm not about to change this file - it's a plot style  that i've used for the last 15 years.

I guess upgrades are not always advantageous.  I"m sticking to 2014.  I've got 5 other computers and they are not about to be upgraded.

Message 19 of 43
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: hemanray

Hi,

can you upload a drawing and the CTB (all in a ZIP file)?

So we can try this with your drawing and your CTB.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 20 of 43
hemanray

Here is my Site Plan.  I did a etransmit on the file.

I've tried to recreate the drawing from scratch - and still the problem persists.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost