Did you mean: 

AutoCAD 2015 Classic workspace = GONE?

92 REPLIES 92
SOLVED
Message 1 of 93
borimol
207490 Views, 92 Replies

AutoCAD 2015 Classic workspace = GONE?

I have installed the new AutoCAD 2015, and although in previous versions we can use classic workspace, in 2015 edition, I can't find this option. Am I missing something?

Image comparing 2014 and 2015: http://i1303.photobucket.com/albums/ag155/borimol/autocad_zps7e861118.jpg
92 REPLIES 92
Message 41 of 93
freesbee
in reply to: Anonymous

....I'm sorry, I don't agree with all those who say that after all changing from toolbars to ribbon is good: if we talk about efficiency the ribbon is much LESS efficient (you are "1 click more far away from everything").

The "marketing" motivation suggested by Chris.smith is the right one here

BUT

some software houses CAN actually design Ribbon-free interfaces and they are successful... (think at the entire Adobe Creative Suite), and much more efficient than this Microsoft crash ware ribbons...

Pity: once Autodesk was a good softwarehouse....
Massimo Frison
CAD R&D // PDM Admin · Hekuma GmbH
Message 42 of 93
nestly2
in reply to: freesbee

To be fair, whether the Ribbon causes more total clicks, or less total clicks depends on the tasks and the workflow of the user.  Contextual Ribbon states for example can save a large number of clicks/picks.    I'm happy to use the Ribbon when it makes sense, but when it doesn't, I want to be able to get it the heck out of my way.

Message 43 of 93
Anonymous
in reply to: edmcclave

I had better luck using the Migrate Custom Settings utility which came with 2015.  It picked up EVERYTHING from my 2014 installation!  I was startled.

Message 44 of 93
Anonymous
in reply to: borimol

It's really easy to get back the classic workspace!

1) First of, type RIBBONCLOSE and hit Enter. Ribbon goes away.

2) Then, type -TOOLBAR then select or type STANDARD and then select or type SHOW

There you go. Classic workspace is back!

3) By right clicking on the toolbar you can add the tools you want to have.

Message 45 of 93
mdudek

Thanks for trying...when I type in "Toolbars" I get the CUI pane....er pain.  with no option to select or type "Standard"

Message 46 of 93
nrz13
in reply to: mdudek

Be careful:  it's -Toolbar

(hyphen in front and no "s" on the end)

Work:  AutoCAD 2022.1.3, Windows 10 Pro v22H2 64-bit, Intel Core i7-8700K, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Pro SSD, AMD Radeon Pro WX 5100, 3 Dell Monitors (3840x2160)
Home: AutoCAD 2022.1.3, Windows 10 Pro v22H2 64-bit, Intel Core i7-11700, 64GB RAM, Samsung 980 Pro SSD, NVIDIA Quadro P2200, Dell Monitor (3840x2160)
Message 47 of 93
mdudek
in reply to: nrz13

Okay I give....can't get back to toolbars.  Here's another question. Why is Drafting & Annotation not a workspace option?  I just get "Architecture" and Customization as workspace options....

Our IT simply updates my Autocad each year and does not allow me to migrate anything. 

Message 48 of 93
Anonymous
in reply to: edmcclave

Hi, how to import from AutoCAD 2004 (full version) to AutoCAD LT 2015 ? Is that possible ?

Is it possible to import from AutoCAD 2013 student version to AutoCAD LT 2015 ?

Thanks !

Message 49 of 93
chrisjuk12

Hi superlayla,

In my opinion I wouldnt try to import your settings from 2004 to 2015. There have been a lot of changes between 2004 and 2015 and I would expect importing settings from such an old and unsupported version would cause more problems than it would solve. setting up toolbars again 30min to 1 hour, problem solving, error finding and ultimately reinstalling because your OLD settings data has corrupted the program 1 hour .to several days

Importing from 2013 to 2015 should be easy enough using the 'migrate custom settings' tools (PROGRAMS>AUTODESK>AUTOCAD[VERSION]>MIGRATE CUSTOM SETTINGS)

I would, in my opinion, at least try to work with the new ribbons and quick access menus before importing previous settings because if Inventor is anything to go off there wont be any classic menus soon.

P.S. The right click drag function is actually very useful once you get used to it, definitely faster than classic buttons or ribbons for heavy use commands.

Hope that helps.

C

Message 50 of 93
Anonymous
in reply to: chrisjuk12

If I import the classic workspace from AutoCAD -student version- to AutoCAD LT, will it show the banner "made with educative version.." ?

I really dislike the new workspace... at school, I learned with the classic, at my job, we work with the classic even in ProjeCAD... this new workspace is not very useful and it's not quick to access to the tools. Everything is hide. I'm a little disapointed to don't have the classic workspace, that's not smart from AutoDesk.. 😕

Message 51 of 93
chrisjuk12

Hi superlayla,

The version type refers to the licence and AutoCAD LT is the full version with a few advanced bits taken out (or at least that is my understanding). The layouts (ribbons, toolbars, QAT etc) are the same across the board as far as I am aware so using your "full version" command bars will still work in LT as long as the commands are available in LT.

Regarding the new workspace I completely understand. I learned AutoCAD when it was R14 and inventor version 5 way back in 2001/2002 so I was very comfortable with my workspace. It was Inventor that changed first and I hated it but I could still get my classic buttons but 2 years ago Inventor stopped supporting classic buttons and forced the new layouts upon the end users which was hugely disappointing and very annoying but after a few day I started to get used to the new 'modern' version and to be honest I now would rather use the new layout.

Unfortunately for all the die hard classic fans your world will soon collapse around you if you don't start to integrate the new layouts into your CAD work because as I previously said, if Inventor is anything to go off there won't be classic views soon. I think it was supported for 3 years in inventor then poof! No more classic. I may be wrong but being prepared is never a bad thing.

Regards,

C
Message 52 of 93
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> I really dislike the new workspace

Everyone working for a long time with classic interface has the same opinion, and it needs some hours/days to get familiar with it and some more days to love it, you just need that time to work with the ribbons (and see the contextual ribbons working for you).

>> I'm a little disapointed to don't have the classic workspace, that's not smart from AutoDesk

You always have the change to create your own workspace, it's not Autodesk keeping you away from creating one looking like classic.

Start command _-TOOLBAR ==> _ALL ==> _SHOW ... then command _RIBBONCLOSE ... and now arrange the toolbars to the positions you like to have them, at least save the workspace with a new name and that's it.

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 53 of 93
arkelec

I have migrated the user settings from 2014 but 2015 is still unusable.

Way to go Autodesk, as a self-empolyed enginer, I relish wasting my time trawling though forums etc. trying to find a fix that doesn't exist for a problem that shouldn't exist.

Message 54 of 93
Anonymous
in reply to: GrantsPirate

Hello,

I am both a tablet user and a mouse user.  I would prefer my 16 button tablet running three menu lists (out of possible four button combinations - my memory is only so good).  As fast as I can think of the thing I want to do, I generally have already issued the command and I am working.  For years at AMEC, people around me who have more than a decade in CAD could not figure out how I drafted so fast.  Between the absolute pointing which your body learns and quickly controls more accurately, and the buttons on the fly, it makes an immense difference in GIS and other super fine and delicate CAD work.  I would not see a benefit for something like REVIT which I also use though.  Autodesk is too concerned with giving users what they feel they should use rather than what people actually want.  In the process, many new draftsman are somewhat dumbed down I would have to say.  They hunt and peck draft instead of focused line work processing.  Some have a desktop that looks reminicient of old Microstation with a maze of icons everywhere and the smallest actual viewing window so they spend their days zooming or panning or get neck lock from crossing over multiple monitors.  My current tablet machine is running on a Vtablet driver which is the end of its life for this I suspect.  It works but isn't as fast or smooth as the original Summa driver which was incredibly smooth and fast.  The problem with all this automation and simplifying of drafting so that even inexperienced people can do something is that they tend to.  Engineers get in and 'make some changes' just because they can.  Even if they don't really understand all that they have done or screwed up in the process.  Some drafting tasks will be hard to fully automate and require extensive linework manipulation and work.  Looking away from your incredibly small linework target to find an icon or issue a command is not useful then.  So back to quick keystrokes or?  Since I can't program a cursor button to do the job.  Although, there is such a thing as a 16 button mouse apparently.  Maybe that will be my next move if Autocad keeps allowing the legacy controls.  If they don't.  Then maybe it is time to quit upgrading with little improvement overall.  My biggest frustration with Autodesk is that with any upgrade, you have to whittle your way to what you want to work with.  Instead of giving you the base platform and letting you turn on anything you want to try or adapt.  I think that Autodesk does most of this rework each year just to show some reason for customers paying for subscription.  But that will only go so far.  Sorry to ramble.  I have spent the day installing 2015 versions of Map, Raster and Revit plus various other packages.  Not really impressed so far and I needed to search for yet more fixes for their screwups.

I will try to be more like you and adapt I guess.  That seems to be what big brother wants no matter what.  ha ha  Keep on drafting!  Cheers

Message 55 of 93
nrz13

I don't know about 16-button mice, but I found this 20-button customizable mouse real quick.  I'm sure there are plenty of others out there.
http://gaming.logitech.com/en-us/product/g600-mmo-gaming-mouse

Work:  AutoCAD 2022.1.3, Windows 10 Pro v22H2 64-bit, Intel Core i7-8700K, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Pro SSD, AMD Radeon Pro WX 5100, 3 Dell Monitors (3840x2160)
Home: AutoCAD 2022.1.3, Windows 10 Pro v22H2 64-bit, Intel Core i7-11700, 64GB RAM, Samsung 980 Pro SSD, NVIDIA Quadro P2200, Dell Monitor (3840x2160)
Message 56 of 93
scottspeig
in reply to: mdudek

An interesting thought - upload your cui onto AutoDesk 360 (or sync it) and once migrated, pull the cui file down. Hey presto - you can manually load the cui commands back in.

Your 360 account does not need to tie in with your licence account. (Well, mine doesn't...)

Message 57 of 93
Anonymous

Thank you! Tried this and it works. Just reset back to ACAD Classic for the rest of the office. It's not that we don't accept changes. We prefer to work efficiently for productivity. And Acad Claasic is what rocks our boat, thankyouverymuch.

Message 58 of 93
Anonymous

Hello!

If this is so easy, why can't AutoDESK do this in the original?

Too big?

Arne 

Message 59 of 93
archsolutionsinc

Yes, another example of Autodesk acting like our elected officials and bullying users by ignoring what most of us want and simply giving us what they think is best for us — despite massive complaints about the Ribbon supplanting classic Toolbars. Not to mention Autodesk seems to continually ignore the fact that monitors are getting WIDER, not TALLER, obviating any 'space-saving' benefits of the Ribbon.

There are hundreds of great ideas out there (just look at the Wish Lists from the past ten years) that Autodesk simply ignores and yet persists in giving us 'improvements' like the Ribbon and touting 'new' features such as different colored backgrounds (which, BTW, we've been able to adjust for years) and on and on. Someone put it quite well when they said that "It was as though Microsoft sneezed and Autodesk (with the Ribbon) caught a cold."

This latest effort ant partially 'denying' users any easy access to our Classic Workspaces is, as I said, another example of corporate bullying that further undermines Autodesk's credibility.

It seems Autodesk's focus is on other software divisions and AutoCAD is simply being left behind, with fewer and fewer genuinely valuable features being brought forward. I wonder if there are even any working (i.e., 'production') Architects on staff, as more and more features seem to have novelty value but of less and less practical use a production environment.

This is pretty much a rehash of hundreds of other posts from working Architects, so nothing new. Although, I still wonder why my $5000+ Revit suite can't give me Ortho to Perspective with one mouse click when my $600 SketchUp program can. Go figure.

Message 60 of 93
freesbee
in reply to: archsolutionsinc

"... Autodesk seems to continually ignore the fact that monitors are getting WIDER, not TALLER, obviating..."
Hey, that was my point 🙂
No, actually I wrote "they didn't notice that we don't have one eye on top of the other", that's why screens get wider... they want to make us many... Poliphemus!!!!
Massimo Frison
CAD R&D // PDM Admin · Hekuma GmbH

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost