Did you mean: 

AutoCAD 2015 Can not shift+click to deselect a solid surface or feature

23 REPLIES 23
SOLVED
Message 1 of 24
43ieme
24298 Views, 23 Replies

AutoCAD 2015 Can not shift+click to deselect a solid surface or feature

In AutoCAD 2015 I can not deselect features in a solid with shift+click (either surfaces or features). ctrl+click seems to work fine.

Is this a system varible I'm missing?

23 REPLIES 23
Message 2 of 24
steve216586
in reply to: 43ieme

In OPTIONS/ go to Selection tab/ Then check the box for "Use shift to add to selection"

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. "-Eleanor Roosevelt
Message 3 of 24
43ieme
in reply to: steve216586

That just makes shift act like ctrl.. they both add to the selection. I would like to subtract a selection from a solid.

For example.. draw a square with the circle in it. Extrude the objects, delete the cylinder that was created. Now ctrl+click the cylinder (or hole) feature.. typically you could deselect it with shift+click, but not in AutoCAD 2015 it seems.

Message 4 of 24
edwin.prakoso

I just tried it. You are right, we can't directly deselect a face (or other sub object). You need to activate selection filter before you can deselect a sub object. If it's a face, change the selection filter to face. I can't upload a screenshot from my browser, but if you use 3D modeling workspace, it's in home tab> selection panel. It's the one saying "No Filter". Change it to face and see if it helps.
If this post solves your problem, please mark it as solved. It will help others with a similar problem to find a solution.

Kind regards,

Edwin Prakoso
LinkedIn | Website | Twitter
Message 5 of 24
43ieme
in reply to: edwin.prakoso

Thanks for looking at it and being able to reproduce it Edwin. It's a bit of a pain to activate the selection filter because it's not in my current ribbon config., but it's good to know if I need it.
Message 6 of 24
simoncc

If you have Raster Design installed.  Try running IOPTIONS command, User Preferences and untick Shift+Left click image select under Mouse Settings.

Message 7 of 24
jbbonney
in reply to: simoncc

Go to your osnap options, and go to selection cycling. Make sure the box is check that states - Allow selection cycling. Then that will allow you to deselect objects while in a command, without going through the slection filter.

Message 8 of 24
LyleHardin

For what it's worth, this works in 2016 too. 

I am used to using Shift+Click to remove objects. In 2016 it wasn't working even though the cursor showed a little - (minus) sign by it.

The IOPTIONS solution worked.

Thanks.

Message 9 of 24
Anonymous

I am having the same problem and have tried suggestions in the posts above. Very frustrating as with the older versions this function worked fine.

Has anyone worked out any other tricks?

Message 10 of 24
Anonymous

Hi,

Do you have any images attached in the drawing? I had the similar issue but found the problem was because I had an image attached it would not let me deseclect items that were on top of the image even though the image layer was off.

If you want to use the deselect tool while drafting on top of the image but keep it in your drawing you need to freeze the image layer.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, 

Message 11 of 24
43ieme
in reply to: Anonymous

Same behaivor for me with a blank template.. this is broken in 2015 and 2016 now.

Message 12 of 24
Hydrauilcs_Girl

That ioptions worked, thank you so much!!!!

Message 13 of 24
Anonymous

Auto cad tab

Preferences

Cursor and selection

Slection modes - make sure "use shift key to add selection" is selected

That worked for me

Message 14 of 24
43ieme

That selects the entire solid when I try that?!?

For what it's worth.. "IOPTIONS" is an invalid command as well.
Message 15 of 24
GrantsPirate

Using the example given earlier, pick the hole with ctrl+pick, there will be a red grip, use ctrl+pick and pick on the red, it is now blue and won't be part of the selection.

GrantsPirate
Piping and Mech. Designer
EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Always save a copy of the drawing before trying anything suggested here.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
If something I wrote can be interpreted two ways, and one of the ways makes you sad or angry, I meant the other one.

Message 16 of 24
43ieme
in reply to: GrantsPirate

Thanks for the response GrantsPirate.. it seems to work for select
commands, but not others. For example If I select 4 holes, then unselect 2
via the blue grips, use the erase command, it deletes both the red and blue
gripped objects.
Message 17 of 24
Anonymous

I was having the same problem after bringing an image into model space from google earth. The way to get the deselect option back to the default shift-click is to go to the raster tools tab then click the drop down arrow in the "insert and write" section at the top left . Then go to the user preferences tab. Under mouse settings uncheck the Shift+left click image select box. This gave me back the original deselect option by shift clicking. Hope this helps everyone.

Message 18 of 24
zaphod42

my co-worker was just having this issue, after comparing our profiles I noticed "Object grouping" was on, after turning it off, it worked just fine.

Message 19 of 24
qwerzcvbx

thank you

Message 20 of 24
cadm8

right on!!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost