Community
AutoCAD Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD 2015 - A slow and instable version?

203 REPLIES 203
Message 1 of 204
botman
14303 Views, 203 Replies

AutoCAD 2015 - A slow and instable version?

Hi All,

I've been working with (or trying to) AutoCAd 2015 since several weeks and I have to say I'm very dissapointed in the performance and stability.

Working on 3D objects creates lots of troubles because the program keeps on crashing. 

An example is removing a void (created by subtracting before) from a 3D solid. 

Apart from crashes and other disruptions everythings feels like heavy syrup, even after disabling all unneccesary "features"...

The dark interface is nice to work with I have to say, on the other hand: the new selectioneffect is like hell. 

Setting the variable SELECTIONEFFECT to 0 renders the selection usable again.

Not sure which engineer came up with this brilliant idea...  Try to select some cyan colored objects and you know what I mean... 

I'm not sure why so much effort has been put into these graphical novelties while the program technically is going backwards every version?

I ditched 2013 and 2014 before (also way to slow) and will stop working with 2015 aswell since I'm not able to finish my word due to crashes and lost work. I'll switch back to 2012 (again!!) and wonder why I'm paying subscription anyway....

Sounds familiair to other users or am I the only one being frank here?

Best regards,

Stefan

203 REPLIES 203
Message 61 of 204
botman
in reply to: MarekBiernat2020

Very nice contest!

Especially if you bear in mind that Acad 2015 is using the (way!) better workstation and even then it fails on most of the tests....

The difference in time exceeds when you actually start drawing points/lines in favour of 2009. Smiley Happy

My statement "AutoCAD 2015 - The worst version EVER!" still stands.....

Message 62 of 204
MarekBiernat2020
in reply to: botman

A quick calculation of theoretical delay, on the basis of that tiny test results, which assumes here:

- working with 2 files opened (the same as used in test): 2x (1 architectural drawing to work on + 4 others to control and coordinate: 1 structural, 3x 1 from each of MEP branch)),

- files which are to be controlled (8 files in total (2x 4)) loaded as x-refs and opened once, for 1 hour only, e.g. to add some revision marks and comments),

- each from 2 main files to work on contains up to 5 layout tabs,

- only open, save (including automatic save) and switch tabs activities (including controlled files opened just for a while (1 hour)),

- one regen action per hour, which is very much ridiculous rule,

- eight-hour long working day, which will be received here, correctly, by some architects as a very funny assumption,

So:

1 min delay while opening file -- gives 2 min for both main files plus 8 (2x 4) min for others controlled files. In total: 10 minutes a day.

2 min delay while switching tabs -- gives 20 min (2 files x 5 tabs x 2-minute long switching) for both main files, assuming that you open/click each tab only once, plus let’s say 20 min for all other controlled files (8 files with up to 10 tabs altogether; 2.5 tab per file, ok?). In total: 40 minutes a day.

1 min delay while saving file -- gives 64 min (2 files x 4 one-minute long savings p. hour x 8 hours) for 2 main files opened for 8 hours, assuming automatic save every 15 min and no other ctrl+s moves before any critical action, plus 32 min (8 files x 4 one-minute long savings p. hour x 1 hour) for 8 controlled files opened for 1 hour. In total: 96 minutes a day.

1 min delay while regenerating view -- gives 16 min (2 files x 8 one-minute long regeneration) for 2 main files opened for 8 hours, plus 8 min (8 files x 1 one-minute long regeneration) for 8 controlled files opened for 1 hour. In total: 24 minutes a day.

1 min delay while closing -- discarded in this calculation.

Now: 10 + 96 + 24 = 130 minutes of delay, in other words: 2 from 8 hours a day are wasted for anticipating application response. Going on further: 10 hours per week, 520 hours a year.

Yet I assume for results mentioned above (as an employer and because I just can’t believe), some very safe coefficient of mistake -- 0.50 for instance -- which may also express the difference in time reaction of both compered releases or cases of dealing with some very smooth files: 520 x 0.50 gives 260 hours a year.

And yet another time I’ll decrease this unserious value (this time as an optimist) and halve it to 130 hours a year, which is no less than 16 days a year of unexpected leave/holiday or vacation from work, per desk/employee, and paid for nothing but idle watching the screen.

Anyway, 16, 8, 3 or just one day of that kind of delay -- count and assume whatever you want -- it's too much of irretrievable time and a very new and sad experience.

Regards,

MB2020 ft. Mr. Krabs

Message 63 of 204
MarekBiernat2020

Because there’s no advantage in complaining I’ve removed/retracted my comments which might have contained emotions like anger or contempt. I’m going to left sad ones only, about some new experiences.

I already can switch layouts tabs in less than 2 seconds – this achievement confuses and clearly disappoints me after over 17 years of working with AutoCAD. This progress applies only to those layout tabs which contain viewports which are being restored and have been already cached once (Layout Regen Options are, constantly and ever since I can remember, set to: Cache model tab and layout tabs). AutoCAD lags, awfully, when trying to open tabs not yet cached (opened for the first time). In the command line application says: ‘restoring cached viewports – regenerating layout’. I ask: and where does it restore from?!, from somewhere else than releases 2009, 2010 or 2011 use to?

The time of opening, saving and regenerating the drawing hasn’t changed at all. I’m sick and tired of sampling, over and over, values of TREEDEPTH (which requires a restart every each time – so i.e. these long ‘open’ and ‘regen’ actions as well) and CACHEMAXFILE and CACHEMAXTOTALSIZE variables which I don’t think are the reason for this dramatic slowdown.

Regenall (in paper space), the master command and my choice, one may boldly describe paraphrasing W. Allen’s opinion about existence: regenerating-all for eternity could get a little boring.. especially towards the end.

Message 64 of 204
botman
in reply to: MarekBiernat2020

Understanding your point of view of retracting former contributions which might be less positive I have to say I dissagree personally. Smiley Wink

Working with tools to get your work done is not entirely without emotion. Especially when you're working with a certain tool for years (20+) in a row and seeing it become less productive over the last years.

It's good to let your voice being heard, emotion is a part of it in my opinion. Maybe this is part of the mentallity in my country, you may judge me on this...

My emotions still float around between dissapointed, pissed-off, surprised and utterly frustrated. In some points all of these at the same time!

No need in holding back these emotions to convince the supplier of the tools (probably against hope) things are not very well at the moment. Smiley Frustrated

In fact, it's quite simple:

We all work to earn some money for ourselves and our families. To get the work done we use several tools from AutoDesk, often because this is mandatory by the principals. These tools are not for free, on the contrary, we pay a ****load of subscription on a yearly basis. The quality and productivity of some major tools are getting worse by the year. Some of them only get a new splashscreen, no errors are being resolved, no proper additional functionality is being added. Upgrades are being cancelled from feb. 2015 so I must choose between paying subscription every year or buy new software every 3-4 years. Not really a proper choise, now is it? Therefore, as a faithfull user for over 20 years I'm being hostaged to pay my subs every year (yep, it feels exactly like this AD!!!)

A profound silence is all I get from Autodesk. Smiley Sad

Who's surprised to see me dissapointed? Smiley Surprised

Anyone?

Message 65 of 204
fprico

Hi,

It happens the same to me with Autocad 2013 and 2015. I have also posted this issue a coupple of years ago and it seems its still the same. you could see my post hear:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-2013-2014-2015/Help-Autocad-crashes/m-p/3941457#M22297

Have you tried to disable your hardware acceleration and see how it performs?

You can send your claims here

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=1109794

Message 66 of 204
MarekBiernat2020

Oh come on, botman, : ), I’m rather sensitive person, even empathic, than void of feelings. I’ve just meant that showing emotions here has no desired results nor involves any consequences (dealing with emotions at work, as you’ve noticed rightly, and yet trying not to bring them home is an obvious true and fact*). As you can see, we still, and on, pat each other on the back wishing well. Still, and on, some others and far away pretend that D in this CAD stands for this what tipicaly used to, and not quite simply for 'Disaster'.

Following fprico’s problem I’ve also started to have some concerns and regrets about elite experts -- why do they always/mainly see a reason in the hardware? 2009, 2010 and 2011 ran incomparably better on for-home-made and like-a-toy computers? (with nice looking windows, with no ssd drives etc.), why and suddenly 2015 needs these kilos of different things and settings around to draw and read lines?

* - a subject of ‘a country’ where we are from shall we leave without further comments and other advisements (I think the question of country may not matter in such an extent as it hasn’t to do with living standards, average gross salaries, purchasing power, GNP etc. -- the lower standards and power, the higher will be the level of additional desperation, above and beyond usual negative emotions of common human beings, when working with this very expensive but kitschy tool).

Message 67 of 204

Hi,

can you upload a drawing showing that differences:

Challenge no 3: switch to paper space - first layout tab
   A: 1 min 50 s 30
   B: 0 min 16 s 50

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 68 of 204
braudpat
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Hello

+1 with Alfred

I would like to test a little bit TOO !

I have a PC (Win Seven Pro x64) with AutoCAD MAP x64 2011/2012/2013/2014/2015 , so ...

Patrice ( Supporting Troops ) - Autodesk Expert Elite
If you are happy with my answer please mark "Accept as Solution" and if very happy please give me a Kudos (Felicitations) - Thanks

Patrice BRAUD

EESignature

Message 69 of 204
MarekBiernat2020
in reply to: braudpat

Pat, Alfred – thanks a lot for your interest. Quickly and according to my new “2-sec. achievements” I explain what I’ve changed:

• Video, as before: NVIDIA Quadro K2000 2GB @ PCI Express x16 Gen2; driver changed to the latest available: v340.66, not certified (instead of former v331.82, and then v340.52); hardware acceleration still enabled; virtual device DirectX 11 (turning off the acceleration brings no results). The rest of description of the workstation you’ll find in previous comment.
  • file: 10,8 MB, recovered while opening, purged and audited; no x-refs (number of x-refs decreased to 1, then merged as a block and then exploded)
  • TREEMAX set to initial value (10000000 – 10 million); this value is described in AudoCAD Help docs as sufficient to disable TREEMAX in TREEDEPTH controlling (10000000 / 15000 = 666,67 MB of RAM spend for an oct-tree. I’ve tried with 100 million (which gives ca. 6,5 GB) and, to sample and randomize, ‘30000’ straight from ‘Autodesk AutoCAD 2015 Help’. Results aren’t visible with the naked eye. Statistics of TREESTAT you can check in the file, on your own.
  • TREEDEPTH set to initial value (3020); I’ve tried with 0, <0 and 0>. I wasn’t able to see any difference.
  • CACHEMAXFILE set to initial value (265) and CACHEMAXTOTALSIZE set to initial value (1024); I’ve sampled many values and set less or more logically. I can’t see a difference with settings like 32 (files) and 256 (totalsize).

So, first I’d like you to test this file as it is. Try not to change anything in subject of your ‘research’ considering it was used to test as-it-is with 2009 and 2015, ok?

Second: please have variables mentioned above set to initial values to preserve ‘environment’ of this ‘research’.

Then please change anything you wish in AutoCAD but do not change the file bearing in mind cases of nice DWG files and not that smooth ones, ok? Respecting your great experience I’d like you to be sincere and not to give to AutoCAD 2015 a head start, ok? And do not propose me, ; ), buy this or that, ok? Even odds for everycad.

Here are some of last measurements:

Challenge no 10: open file saved to 2010 dwg (file is opened to layout in paper space)

2 min 20 s

Challenge no 11: open/recover file saved to 2004 dwg (file is opened to layout in paper space)

4 min 55 s

Challenge no 12: switch to another layout tab (not yet cached)

1 min 54 s

Challenge no 13: switch to previous layout tab (already cached)

0 min 2 s

Challenge no 14: switch to model space (first time, remember: file was opened in paper space)

0 min 52 s

Challenge no 15: switch to paper space - to layout tab (already cached)

0 min 2 s

Challenge no 16: switch to model space - (once again)

0 min 2 s

Challenge no 17: regenall in paper space

2 min 5 s

Now, give me your e-mails (by ‘private message’) so I can share the file with you via Autodesk360.

: ), meanwhile I’ll do some tests with 2009 on Vista 32-bit @ HP Pavilion dv7: Intel Core Duo P8400 2.26GHz, 4GB RAM (I’ve got some junks yet in a basement, but don’t want to overdo).

Regards,

Marek

Message 70 of 204

Pat, Alfred, : )))))),

Here are results of symmetric tests on the famous as-it-is file, with 2009 on Vista 32-bit @ HP Pavilion dv7 (notepad): Intel Core Duo P8400 2.26GHz, 4GB RAM:

Challenge no 11.1: open file saved to 2004 dwg (file is opened to layout in paper space; the result includes a delay due to pointing and clicking 'Cancel' button to ignore missing shx files)

0 min 18 s

Challenge no 12: switch to another layout tab (not yet cached)

0 min 33 s

Challenge no 13: switch to previous layout tab (already cached)

0 min 8 s

Challenge no 14: switch to model space (first time, remember: file was opened in paper space)

0 min 18 s

Challenge no 15: switch to paper space - to layout tab (already cached)

0 min 7 s

Challenge no 16: switch to model space - (once again)

0 min 2 s

Challenge no 17: regenall in paper space

0 min 44 s

?

Message 71 of 204

New LT 2015 user, here.  I'd like to jump on this bandwagon in case any Autodesk employees are still listening... I've used AutoCAD for the past 15 years and I hate HATE HATE this version.  I've spent so many hours trying to speed it up I want to cry.  But no matter what I do, it's blink-blink-blink every time I select anything, and lag-lag-lag all the time.  What a POS.

Message 72 of 204
KathleenM
in reply to: KathleenM

Well, I've managed (at last, after two weeks), by changing system variables, to get everything mostly functional.  I still have issues with the screen going BLINK every time I select or deselect an xref, and switching layout tabs sometimes causes everything to hang for 4-5 seconds.  However, selecting/deselecting a hatch no longer causes the screen to blink 3 times, moving/copying/etc & panning seem to be fairly smooth, and all-in-all I'm finally able to get work done efficiently.  Below is a list of my system variable settings (with drawing names/usernames redacted), just in case they can help anyone.  If anyone's interested I can post it as an Excel file so you can copy-paste your own system variables beside mine and compare the two.

3DSELECTIONMODE   1
AFLAGS            16
ANGBASE           0.00
ANGDIR            0
ANNOALLVISIBLE    1
ANNOAUTOSCALE     -4
ANNOTATIVEDWG     0
APBOX             1
APERTURE          8
AREA              0'-0"                                (read only)
ATTDIA            0
ATTIPE            0
ATTMODE           1
ATTMULTI          1
ATTREQ            1
AUDITCTL          0
AUNITS            0
AUPREC            2
AUTODWFPUBLISH    0
AUTOMATICPUB      0
AUTOSNAP          39
BACKGROUNDPLOT    2
BACKZ             0'-0"                                (read only)
BACTIONBARMODE    1
BACTIONCOLOR      "7"
BCONSTATUSMODE    0
BDEPENDENCYHIGHLIGHT 1
BGRIPOBJCOLOR     "141"
BGRIPOBJSIZE      8
BINDTYPE          0
BLOCKEDITLOCK     0
BLOCKEDITOR       0                                    (read only)
BPARAMETERCOLOR   "170"
BPARAMETERFONT    "Simplex.shx"
BPARAMETERSIZE    12
BTMARKDISPLAY     1
BVMODE            0
CANNOSCALE        "1:1"
CANNOSCALEVALUE   1.000000000                          (read only)
CDATE             20140821.18274117                    (read only)
CECOLOR           "BYLAYER"
CELTSCALE         1.0000
CELTYPE           "BYLAYER"
CELWEIGHT         -1
CENTERMT          0
CETRANSPARENCY    ByLayer
CGEOCS            ""                                   (read only)
CHAMFERA          0'-0"
CHAMFERB          0'-0"
CHAMFERC          0'-1"
CHAMFERD          0.00
CHAMMODE          0
CIPMODE           0                                    (read only)
CIRCLERAD         0'-0"
CLAYER            "FDN-E"
CLAYOUT           "Model*22"
CLIPBOARD         1                                    (read only)
CMDACTIVE         1                                    (read only)
CMDDIA            1
CMDECHO           1
CMDINPUTHISTORYMAX 20
CMDNAMES          "SETVAR"                             (read only)
CMLEADERSTYLE     "Standard"
CONSTRAINTBARMODE 4095
CONSTRAINTNAMEFORMAT 2
CONSTRAINTRELAX   0                                    (read only)
CONSTRAINTSOLVEMODE 1
COORDS            1
COPYMODE          0
CPLOTSTYLE        "ByColor"                            (read only)
CROSSINGAREACOLOR 100
CTAB              "Model"
CTABLESTYLE       "Standard"
CURSORSIZE        100
CVPORT            2
DATALINKNOTIFY    2
DATE              2456891.76923677                     (read only)
DBLCLKEDIT        ON
DBMOD             21                                   (read only)
DCTCUST           ""
DCTMAIN           "enu"
DEFLPLSTYLE       "ByColor"                            (read only)
DEFPLSTYLE        "ByColor"                            (read only)
DELOBJ            3
DGNFRAME          0
DGNIMPORTMAX      10000000
DGNMAPPINGPATH    "..." (read only)
DGNOSNAP          1
DIASTAT           1                                    (read only)
DIMADEC           0
DIMALT            OFF
DIMALTD           2
DIMALTF           25.4000
DIMALTRND         0'-0"
DIMALTTD          2
DIMALTTZ          0
DIMALTU           2
DIMALTZ           0
DIMANNO           0                                    (read only)
DIMAPOST          ""
DIMARCSYM         0
DIMASO            ON
DIMASSOC          1
DIMASZ            0'-0 3/32"
DIMATFIT          3
DIMAUNIT          0
DIMAZIN           0
DIMBLK            "ArchTick"
DIMBLK1           ""
DIMBLK2           ""
DIMCEN            0'-0"
DIMCLRD           256
DIMCLRE           256
DIMCLRT           31
DIMDEC            3
DIMDLE            0'-0 1/16"
DIMDLI            0'-0 3/8"
DIMDSEP           "."
DIMEXE            0'-0 3/32"
DIMEXO            0'-0 3/32"
DIMFIT            5
DIMFRAC           1
DIMFXL            0'-1"
DIMFXLON          OFF
DIMGAP            0'-0 3/32"
DIMJOGANG         45.00
DIMJUST           0
DIMLDRBLK         ""
DIMLFAC           1.0000
DIMLIM            OFF
DIMLTEX1          ""
DIMLTEX2          ""
DIMLTYPE          ""
DIMLUNIT          4
DIMLWD            -1
DIMLWE            -1
DIMPOST           ""
DIMRND            0'-0"
DIMSAH            OFF
DIMSCALE          4'-0"
DIMSD1            OFF
DIMSD2            OFF
DIMSE1            OFF
DIMSE2            OFF
DIMSHO            ON
DIMSOXD           OFF
DIMSTYLE          "ARCH"                               (read only)
DIMTAD            1
DIMTDEC           3
DIMTFAC           0.7000
DIMTFILL          1
DIMTFILLCLR       0
DIMTIH            OFF
DIMTIX            ON
DIMTM             0'-0"
DIMTMOVE          2
DIMTOFL           ON
DIMTOH            OFF
DIMTOL            OFF
DIMTOLJ           1
DIMTP             0'-0"
DIMTSZ            0'-0"
DIMTVP            0.0000
DIMTXSTY          "ARCH"
DIMTXT            0'-0 3/32"
DIMTXTDIRECTION   OFF
DIMTZIN           0
DIMUNIT           4
DIMUPT            OFF
DIMZIN            3
DISPSILH          0
DISTANCE          0'-3 1/2"                            (read only)
DONUTID           0'-0 1/2"
DONUTOD           0'-1"
DRAGMODE          2
DRAGP1            5000
DRAGP2            10
DRAWORDERCTL      3
DTEXTED           2
DWFFRAME          2
DWFOSNAP          1
DWGCHECK          1
DWGCODEPAGE       "ANSI_1252"                          (read only)
DWGNAME           "....dwg"                     (read only)
DWGPREFIX         "..." (read only)
DWGTITLED         1                                    (read only)
DYNCONSTRAINTMODE 1
DYNDIGRIP         31
DYNDIVIS          1
DYNMODE           0
DYNPICOORDS       0
DYNPIFORMAT       0
DYNPIVIS          1
DYNPROMPT         0
DYNTOOLTIPS       0
EDGEMODE          1
ELEVATION         0'-0"
EXEDIR            "C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD LT 2015\" (read only)
EXPERT            0
EXPLMODE          1
EXTMAX            161'-0 17/32",204'-3 7/16",0'-0"     (read only)
EXTMIN            -16'-4 7/32",-58'-11 5/8",0'-0"      (read only)
EXTNAMES          1
FACETRES          0.5000
FIELDDISPLAY      1
FIELDEVAL         31
FILEDIA           1
FILLETRAD         0'-0"
FILLMODE          1
FONTALT           "simplex.shx"
FONTMAP           "..."
FRONTZ            0'-0"                                (read only)
FULLPLOTPATH      1
GEOLATLONGFORMAT  0
GEOMARKERVISIBILITY 1
GFANG             0.00
GFCLR1            "5"
GFCLR2            "2"
GFCLRLUM          1.000000000
GFCLRSTATE        0
GFNAME            1
GFSHIFT           0
GRIDDISPLAY       3
GRIDMAJOR         5
GRIDMODE          0
GRIDUNIT          0'-0 1/2",0'-0 1/2"
GRIPBLOCK         0
GRIPCOLOR         150
GRIPCONTOUR       251
GRIPDYNCOLOR      140
GRIPHOT           12
GRIPHOVER         11
GRIPOBJLIMIT      100
GRIPS             2
GRIPSIZE          5
GRIPTIPS          1
HALOGAP           0
HANDLES           1                                    (read only)
HIDEPRECISION     0
HIDETEXT          ON
HIDEXREFSCALES    1
HIGHLIGHT         1
HPANG             0.00
HPANNOTATIVE      0
HPASSOC           0
HPBOUND           1
HPBOUNDRETAIN     0
HPDOUBLE          0
HPDRAWORDER       3
HPGAPTOL          0.0000
HPINHERIT         0
HPISLANDDETECTION 1
HPISLANDDETECTIONMODE 1
HPMAXLINES        1000000
HPNAME            "ANSI31"
HPOBJWARNING      10000
HPORIGIN          0'-0",0'-0"
HPORIGINMODE      0
HPQUICKPREVTIMEOUT 2
HPSCALE           1.0000
HPSEPARATE        1
HPSPACE           0'-1"
HYPERLINKBASE     ""
IMAGEHLT          0
INDEXCTL          0
INETLOCATION      "http://www.autodesk.com/acltuser"
INPUTHISTORYMODE  15
INSBASE           0'-0",0'-0",0'-0"
INSNAME           "STRAP-2-2x"
INSUNITS          1
INSUNITSDEFSOURCE 1
INSUNITSDEFTARGET 1
INTELLIGENTUPDATE 20
INTERSECTIONCOLOR 257
INTERSECTIONDISPLAY OFF
ISAVEBAK          1
ISAVEPERCENT      50
ISOLINES          4
LARGEOBJECTSUPPORT 0
LASTANGLE         0.00                                 (read only)
LASTPOINT         12'-3 13/32",126'-0 9/32",0'-0"
LATITUDE          37.79500
LAYEREVAL         0
LAYEREVALCTL      1
LAYERFILTERALERT  2
LAYERNOTIFY       0
LAYLOCKFADECTL    50
LENSLENGTH        50.0000
LIMCHECK          0
LIMMAX            1'-0",0'-9"
LIMMIN            0'-0",0'-0"
LOCALE            "ENU"                                (read only)
LOCALROOTPREFIX   "..." (read only)
LOCKUI            15
LOGFILEMODE       0
LOGFILENAME       "..." (read only)
LOGFILEPATH       "..."
LONGITUDE         -122.39400
LTSCALE           24.0000
LUNITS            4
LUPREC            5
LWDEFAULT         25
LWDISPLAY         OFF
LWUNITS           0
MAXACTVP          64
MAXSORT           1000
MBUTTONPAN        1
MEASUREINIT       0
MEASUREMENT       0
MENUBAR           1
MENUECHO          0
MIRRTEXT          0
MLEADERSCALE      0'-1"
MODEMACRO         ""
MSLTSCALE         0
MSOLESCALE        1.0000
MTEXTCOLUMN       2
MTEXTED           "Internal"
MTEXTFIXED        2
MTEXTTOOLBAR      1
MTJIGSTRING       "abc"
MYDOCUMENTSPREFIX "..."         (read only)
NORTHDIRECTION    0.00
OBSCUREDCOLOR     257
OBSCUREDLTYPE     0
OFFSETDIST        -0'-1"
OFFSETGAPTYPE     0
OLEFRAME          2
OLEHIDE           0
OLEQUALITY        3
OLESTARTUP        0
ORTHOMODE         0
OSMODE            18527
OSNAPCOORD        2
OSNAPHATCH        0
OSOPTIONS         1
PAPERUPDATE       0
PDFFRAME          1
PDMODE            32
PDSIZE            0'-0"
PEDITACCEPT       0
PELLIPSE          0
PERIMETER         0'-0"                                (read only)
PERSPECTIVE       0
PERSPECTIVECLIP   5.0000
PICKADD           2
PICKAUTO          1
PICKBOX           4
PICKDRAG          0
PICKFIRST         1
PICKSTYLE         1
PLATFORM          "Microsoft Windows NT Version 6.2 (x64)" (read only)
PLINECONVERTMODE  0
PLINEGEN          0
PLINETYPE         2
PLINEWID          0'-0"
PLOTOFFSET        0
PLOTROTMODE       2
PLQUIET           0
POLARADDANG       ""
POLARDIST         0'-0"
POLYSIDES         4
PREVIEWFILTER     31
PROJMODE          1
PROXYGRAPHICS     1
PROXYNOTICE       0
PROXYSHOW         1
PSLTSCALE         0
PSPROLOG          ""
PSTYLEMODE        1                                    (read only)
PSTYLEPOLICY      1
PUBLISHALLSHEETS  1
PUBLISHCOLLATE    1
PUBLISHHATCH      1
PUCSBASE          ""
QPLOCATION        1
QPMODE            1
QTEXTMODE         0
QVDRAWINGPIN      0
QVLAYOUTPIN       0
RASTERDPI         300
RASTERPERCENT     20
RASTERTHRESHOLD   20
RECOVERYMODE      2
REFEDITNAME       ""                                   (read only)
REGENMODE         1
REMEMBERFOLDERS   0
REPORTERROR       1
ROAMABLEROOTPREFIX "..." (read only)
ROLLOVERTIPS      0
RTDISPLAY         1
SAVEFIDELITY      1
SAVEFILE          "..." (read only)
SAVEFILEPATH      "..."
SAVENAME         "..." (read only)
SAVETIME          10
SCREENSIZE        113'-11",54'-9"                      (read only)
SELECTIONANNODISPLAY 1
SELECTIONAREA     1
SELECTIONAREAOPACITY 15
SELECTIONPREVIEW  2
SETBYLAYERMODE    255
SHADEDGE          3
SHADEDIF          70
SHORTCUTMENU      27
SHORTCUTMENUDURATION 250
SHOWLAYERUSAGE    1
SIGWARN           1
SKETCHINC         0'-0 3/32"
SKPOLY            0
SNAPANG           0.00
SNAPBASE          0'-0",0'-0"
SNAPISOPAIR       0
SNAPMODE          0
SNAPSTYL          0
SNAPTYPE          0
SNAPUNIT          0'-0 1/2",0'-0 1/2"
SORTENTS          51
SPLFRAME          0
SPLINESEGS        8
SPLINETYPE        6
SSFOUND           ""                                   (read only)
SSLOCATE          1
SSMAUTOOPEN       1
SSMPOLLTIME       60
SSMSHEETSTATUS    2
SYSCODEPAGE       "ANSI_1252"                          (read only)
TABLEINDICATOR    1
TABLETOOLBAR      2
TABMODE           0
TARGET            0'-0",0'-0",0'-0"                    (read only)
TDCREATE          2456855.51046438                     (read only)
TDINDWG           1.95478063                           (read only)
TDUCREATE         2456855.80213104                     (read only)
TDUPDATE          2456891.75244063                     (read only)
TDUSRTIMER        1.95478059                           (read only)
TDUUPDATE         2456892.04410729                     (read only)
TEXTED            2
TEXTEVAL          0
TEXTFILL          1
TEXTQLTY          50
TEXTSIZE          0'-4 1/2"
TEXTSTYLE         "ARCH"
THICKNESS         0'-0"
THUMBSAVE         1
TILEMODE          1
TIMEZONE          -8000
TOOLTIPMERGE      0
TRACKPATH         0
TREEDEPTH         3020
TREEMAX           10000000
TRIMMODE          1
TSPACEFAC         1.0000
TSPACETYPE        2
TSTACKALIGN       1
TSTACKSIZE        70
UCSAXISANG        90.00
UCSBASE           ""
UCSFOLLOW         0
UCSICON           3
UCSNAME           ""                                   (read only)
UCSORG            0'-0",0'-0",0'-0"                    (read only)
UCSORTHO          1
UCSVIEW           1
UCSXDIR           0'-1",0'-0",0'-0"                    (read only)
UCSYDIR           0'-0",0'-1",0'-0"                    (read only)
UNDOCTL           21                                   (read only)
UNDOMARKS         0                                    (read only)
UNITMODE          0
UPDATETHUMBNAIL   15
USERNAME          "..."                            (read only)
VERSION           "2015"                               (read only)
VIEWCTR           47'-0 11/16",154'-8 17/32",0'-0"     (read only)
VIEWDIR           0'-0",0'-0",0'-1"                    (read only)
VIEWMODE          0                                    (read only)
VIEWSIZE          26'-3 13/32"                         (read only)
VIEWTWIST         0.00                                 (read only)
VISRETAIN         1
VPLAYEROVERRIDES  0                                    (read only)
VPLAYEROVERRIDESMODE 1
VPMAXIMIZEDSTATE  0                                    (read only)
VPROTATEASSOC     1
VSMAX             1443'-9 5/8",730'-9 9/16",0'-0"      (read only)
VSMIN             -1299'-1 11/32",-585'-5 3/4",0'-0"   (read only)
VTDURATION        0
VTENABLE          0
VTFPS             7
WHIPARC           0
WINDOWAREACOLOR   5
WMFBKGND          OFF
WMFFOREGND        OFF
WORLDUCS          1                                    (read only)
WORLDVIEW         1
XCLIPFRAME        0
XDWGFADECTL       0
XEDIT             1
XFADECTL          70
XLOADCTL          0
XLOADPATH         "..."
XREFCTL           0
XREFNOTIFY        1
XREFTYPE          1
ZOOMFACTOR        60
ZOOMWHEEL         0

Message 73 of 204

Hi KathleenM,

I’m afraid we deal with some other issue (with The Issue, or even: Issue The Issue) - amazingly we’re not such malcontents when it comes to LT, ; )

But, in uploaded .xls file you’ll find our settings of LT.

To make a comparison useful for others use SETVAR command to list all variables (ca. 600) and their values (type SETVAR, then ?, then ENTER, then ENTER again to continue - until new demand for command appears) and then copy them and order alphabetically in .xls file).

It’s difficult to say how such a verifying can be credible or efficient because of different needs when working with different .dwg files (uploaded values come from LT used to work with master site plan drawings with many infrastructure xref drawings (including xrefs in xrefs) and bitmaps (images) attached when e.g. other xrefs overlayed only).

Message 74 of 204
botman
in reply to: KathleenM

Hi Kathleen,

Thank you very much for taking the effort of sharing these settings with us, it's allways helpfull to compare these with your own variables!

(very often a proper step to solving troubles in AutoCAD)

I've allready toyed around a lot with a few of these variables, unfortunately without any luck so far. 2015 still is impossible to work with on a daily basis for as far as I'm concerned..... (yep, still working with 2012....) 

I would be very gratefull if you're willing to share these in an Excelfile (or similar) to do some checks on our workstations.

Thanks in advance!

Very best regards,

Stefan

Message 75 of 204
MarekBiernat2020

Hi there,

I wish someone analyzed this:

This is a kind of step-by-step overview of (my) acad.exe process activity during switching tabs in paper space. This is this well-known switching described several comments earlier and done once again when working with my TEST 2009 vs 2015.dwg file. Again - only this file was opened as it was saved on desktop. The file was opened in paper space (so one of tabs was already active), then I switched to another layout tab (not yet cached). Overall switching time was now 3 minutes and 2 seconds.

On sreenshots numbered from 01 to 10 I’ve marked with red arrows some very specific moments within those “3 min 2 sec” (since 15:36:16,254… to 15:39:17,787…). Watching this one has to pay some attention on time listed on the left.

Screen 01

-          15:36:16,2… - here we’ve got the beginning (why a Close File operation is being done? while wasn’t initiated; never mind – after 17 seconds every next operation seems to be executed with no problems, intervals one can count in milliseconds..)

Screen 02

-          here we’ve got another pause when thread exiting which lasts ca. 11 seconds; then again smooth activity..

Screen 03

-          15:36:57,8… we already are in operation of writing data to UNDO.ac$ (why UNDO?, never mind again – next 40 seconds have passed..)

Screen 04

-          we’re still in UNDO.ac$ writing, but some breaks start to occur – up left in time column we’ve got 15:37:04,0…, down left we’ve got already 15:37:16,3… (the longest one is marked with the red arrow), while previous screen listed operation within a time of ca. 1 second,

Screen 05

-          ..UNDO.ac$ writing and breaks again…; we’re “leaving the screen” at 15:37:16,1…  

Screen 06

-          ..UNDO.ac$ writing, breaks again…; we’re “leaving the screen” at 15:37:22,0…  

Screen 07

-          the undo file has been almost finally written - acad.exe is occupying itself with some other operations, smoothly and successfully, going back once to write in something to UNDO.ac$ file,

Screen 08

-          ..acad.exe is now for sure finishing writing in things to UNDO.ac$; it’s taking 18 seconds; it’s 15:38:13,6… when we’re leaving the screen (2 minutes have passed),

Screen 09

-          ..acad.exe stops for 23 seconds to take a deep breath before it starts looking for something it wasn’t ask for (creating and closing some files from our file server – why?, after all it’s working with the file opened from C:\Users\m.biernat\Desktop),

Screen 10

-          finally at 15:39:17,7… my torment stops and acad.exe starts to behave normally as it did before screen 01.

3 minutes and 2 seconds. And I only wanted to have a look at another layout.

About looking by acad.exe for some entries in Windows registry for variables meant for AutoCAD for MAC (following “AUTODESK AUTOCAD 2015 | HELP” & “AUTODESK AUTOCAD 2015 FOR MAC | HELP”) I’ll maybe write next time. Inviting users to scrabble around registry, its entries and values, is a bit over the top.

Message 76 of 204

Screens 04 - 06

Message 77 of 204

Screens 07-09

Message 78 of 204

Screen 10

Message 79 of 204
Yorx57

Wow, some interesting comments on the times!!  I guess botman was right with the "slow" part of his subject line!! 

And now 8 pages later and countless posts and examples the "and instable" part is also correct!!

However, I do feel that I need to stray here abit and mention that now I believe we have ALL underestimated AutoDesk!!  AutoCad appears to actually be SMART!! Part AI!! 

I posted in another message (as well as others users) regarding an issue when opening up certain drawings, 3D objects would be out of place - however their grips would still be in the proper location.  I was, after some fooling around, able to figure out how to "fix" these objects - click the object to bring up the grips and then click any grip to initiate a "move" and then vola!!  The object would "jump" back to it's grips.  Of course, now I was stuck having to reposition the object(s) back in place, but at least it and its grips were back as a whole and the universe happy again.

Well it seems that AutoCAD has wised up to this!!  It has figured out that it couldn't beat me on that anymore!! So now it's pulling ANOTHER trick!! (and not just with me, but another co-worker has also falling prey to AutoCAD's humour). 

Attached is a drawing showing AutoCAD's new attempt at wrecking our drawings.  No longer is the object and grips seperated - but the "object" is now seperated!!! And of course, the grip trick will not work anymore - AutoCAD is having the last laugh!! Well it did, again I was able to find a "fix" - however it is just as obscure as the bug is! Smiley Sad

It will only be a matter of time before AutoCAD catches on that I have once again found a "fix" and will inevitably pull another trick out of it's sleeve. Smiley Mad

Message 80 of 204
KathleenM

Here are my system variables.

One thing not in the list: commandpreview.  I don't know why it's not listed... it is a system variable... but it doesn't appear in the list when I use the SETVAR;?; command.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost