Community
AutoCAD Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD 2015 - A slow and instable version?

203 REPLIES 203
Message 1 of 204
botman
14377 Views, 203 Replies

AutoCAD 2015 - A slow and instable version?

Hi All,

I've been working with (or trying to) AutoCAd 2015 since several weeks and I have to say I'm very dissapointed in the performance and stability.

Working on 3D objects creates lots of troubles because the program keeps on crashing. 

An example is removing a void (created by subtracting before) from a 3D solid. 

Apart from crashes and other disruptions everythings feels like heavy syrup, even after disabling all unneccesary "features"...

The dark interface is nice to work with I have to say, on the other hand: the new selectioneffect is like hell. 

Setting the variable SELECTIONEFFECT to 0 renders the selection usable again.

Not sure which engineer came up with this brilliant idea...  Try to select some cyan colored objects and you know what I mean... 

I'm not sure why so much effort has been put into these graphical novelties while the program technically is going backwards every version?

I ditched 2013 and 2014 before (also way to slow) and will stop working with 2015 aswell since I'm not able to finish my word due to crashes and lost work. I'll switch back to 2012 (again!!) and wonder why I'm paying subscription anyway....

Sounds familiair to other users or am I the only one being frank here?

Best regards,

Stefan

203 REPLIES 203
Message 141 of 204
MarekBiernat2020
in reply to: info_1

A piano? Man, it’s like your mom would have taken your dog for a walk, it would has been hit a car and had poorly died and naively replaced by a new one, bought on the way home, and given to you as yours. Now nobody cares of your astonishment, disappointment or whatever: “but it’s your dog, child. And even better.”

; )

Message 142 of 204
botman
in reply to: MarekBiernat2020

Or even worse:

Your dad goes out to get some cigarettes, never returning for he left your mom for a 20-years younger specimen.

After a while she discovers he's gone for good, introducing your uggly-**** neighbour while she smiles: "Meet your new dad!"

🙂

Message 143 of 204
kasperwuyts
in reply to: botman

Can anyone name me a piece of software in which performance actually increases with each release? As hardware gets better, software developers adapt and make more demanding software.

Especially when it comes to intensive 3D work, Autodesk has heavily invested in alternative solutions to Autocad. If you consider changing software because your 200mb 3D model performs slowly, I don't think Autodesk is really to blame. Inventor's been around for quite some time now as a tool to specifically handle that sort of work.

Best regards
Kasper Wuyts
in reply to: kasperwuyts

I see what you mean and you definitely are right but I guess you're missing the overall point.

It's not a matter of increasing performance every release but merely consolidating current performance you're used to. 

The race of improving hardware and improving software should be quite equal (sometimes hardware takes the lead, sometimes the other way around)

So, you're right regarding the other tools to use, Inventor might be more appropriate for larger filesizes. 

But strange though how my files work fine in AutoCAD 2012, work less in 2013, work even more less in 2014 and eventually don't work anymore in 2015. Even other workflows are being held-up by this rattletrap (!) version.

This related to Autodesk's marketing machine shouting "best version ever", "yes, we heard you!" , "Increase your productivity by 120%" etc. is to say the least unlikely. Well...in my book it is.... Smiley Frustrated

Should I invest in other software of a company following this path? 

I join Ed's statment about the piano with the supplement of buying another piano of another supplier....

(I don't hate saxophones by the way...) Smiley Very Happy

Message 145 of 204
andylaug
in reply to: kasperwuyts

Inventor requires too much planning up front to use properly for production work with short fuses.
It also is too difficult to reuse existing designs and modify/re save as new projects without risking corruption of original work.

This and vault are the primary reason solid works is the preferred 3d software experience in the job market...inventor may be very capable, but the learning curve, the design reuse, the labor required to name, file, constrain, and properly assign properties, have relegated inventor to the shelf for 17 out of 18 subscription licenses at my company. By the way...all users are free to use inventor, since we have the premium design suite installed at every station, yet only one user finds it useful...and that user doesn't have a deadline. That kinda proves the point doesn't it? Inventor can handle large files, but effectively takes longer to handle projects!!!

Andy
Message 146 of 204
info_1

I don't really hate saxaphones-

Message 147 of 204
mary.poteete
in reply to: nrz13

I'm experiencing a slow stall after my copy command.  It seems to be a pretty neglegible request as I'm only copying small and basic entities.

I have just installed AutoCAD 2015 LT a week ago.  My file is omly around 4,000 kb.  I've tried purging my drawing.  That doesn't seem to help

Message 148 of 204
nrz13
in reply to: mary.poteete

mary.poteete:

Have you installed Service Pack 1 and Service Pack 2?

Work:  AutoCAD 2022.1.3, Windows 10 Pro v22H2 64-bit, Intel Core i7-8700K, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Pro SSD, AMD Radeon Pro WX 5100, 3 Dell Monitors (3840x2160)
Home: AutoCAD 2022.1.3, Windows 10 Pro v22H2 64-bit, Intel Core i7-11700, 64GB RAM, Samsung 980 Pro SSD, NVIDIA Quadro P2200, Dell Monitor (3840x2160)
Message 149 of 204
botman
in reply to: mary.poteete

I second that: All commands and actions are sluggish in AutoCAD 2015.

Installing SP1 and SP2 might help a bit but still it's not snappy.

Wait for 2016, maybe it'll perform better, but I'm afraid....

Message 150 of 204
nrz13

I agree that AutoCAD 2015 is more sluggish across the board compared to previous versions, but SP1 specifically addressed at least one instance of lagging while copying.

Also, a 4MB file is pretty large if it's only a 2D drawing.

Work:  AutoCAD 2022.1.3, Windows 10 Pro v22H2 64-bit, Intel Core i7-8700K, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Pro SSD, AMD Radeon Pro WX 5100, 3 Dell Monitors (3840x2160)
Home: AutoCAD 2022.1.3, Windows 10 Pro v22H2 64-bit, Intel Core i7-11700, 64GB RAM, Samsung 980 Pro SSD, NVIDIA Quadro P2200, Dell Monitor (3840x2160)
Message 151 of 204
botman
in reply to: nrz13

Installing SP's is allways recommended... Smiley Happy

You're right that Acad 2015 is a bit less sluggish using SP1 and SP2 but for me it was still a non-workable situation so I decided to un-install 2015 and revert to 2014. At least one year of subscription down the drain.... Smiley Sad

Message 152 of 204
Yorx57

Hey botman!! Sorry, been quiet for awhile... extremly busy.. Anyways seeing as this thread is back alive again felt I would way in.  There's a ton I could say, but let's get down to facts.  It seems pretty simple, AutoDesk does not care about AutoCAD beyond tomorrow, it's what I call too many $$ in the eyes.  Us experienced users (and many more on the forum) don't count for anything, because well they already have our money.  Unfortunately, they refuse to listen to "us" and what an everyday user would like to see/use.  They "believe" they can get "more" users using (paying) for the software by doing A, and or B, and or C, etc. In my opion, all of this visual crap they keep wanting to add in (and one of the major reasons why AutoCAD is getttng slower and slower) is actually more of a distraction than anything else.  I don't know about you, but, I know AutoCAD well enough that I can actually concentrate on my task/design/layout etc. and don't have to stop to think on how to draw it - more importantly losing my concentration on my design task by flashing things, or trying to select what I wanted (I don't have that problem because I shut all of that stuff off).  Basically, what I'm saying is don't hold out for 2016 - if history has taught us anything, and especially with AutoCAD, version 2016 will require a $2000 dollar video card to support what ever new visual enhancements they can dream up, and will be even more bug riddled because they have to focus on the visual enhancements to "add" something new to the ridiculous 1 year turn around model that they have adopted.

Oh, and if 2016 doesn't work for you - "upgrade your video card driver" Smiley Happy

Message 153 of 204
BeKirra

Stand on your side. Smiley Happy

Please mark "Accept as Solution" and "Like" if my reply resolves the issue and it will help when others need helps.
= ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ =
A circle is the locus of a cursor, starting and ending at the same point on a plane in model space or in layout such that its distance from a given coordinates (X,Y) is always constant.
X² + Y² = C²
Message 154 of 204
botman
in reply to: Yorx57

Hi Yorx!

Good to hear from you, it's been a while indeed!

Same here, working hard to get my work done for my clients, trying at best effort.... Smiley Happy

As being a (small) part of the beta-test-team I've been testing with 2016 for a while now and I'm afraid you are right stating AutoCAD is going to be a circus and not lean-and-mean as we talked about before.

I have to be carefull what I'm saying since I've been kicked of a Showcase-thread yesterday. Critisism is a dangerous thing on a forum authored by AD.

Still: I discarded 2015 completely by throwing it in the bin, never to look at it again in my working life. 

Somehow the real improvements for AutoCAD (at least: in my opinion and a lot of forum-friends here) are not very interesting.

For example: 2016 holds a lot of new possibilities for point-clouds. Even if you need this (I guess one or two persons at this planet) AutoCAD is performing way to poor to facilitate this option. Actually, is performing way to poor to facilitate regular 2D work nowadays.

Oops, here I go again Smiley Very Happy

I voted for the AUGI wishlist regarding performance, performance and did I mention performance hoping to find some fellow CAD-users experiencing the same thing there.

Wrong again: AUGI users like new features so it seems? Or is this wishlist audited by AD all the way aswell? I wonder...

My dear Yorx: Are we the only one trying to get our work done in time with proper CAD software?

I guesss so..

Looking for a way to really get in touch with Autodesk to share my concerns...don't know how....

Message 155 of 204
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> I've been kicked of a Showcase-thread yesterday.

>> Critisism is a dangerous thing on a forum authored by AD.

Up to now I have not seen a thread that was erased in case of criticism.

But on the other side you know that you have signed an NDA (as AutoCAD 2016 beta tester)?

So if your post here is removed then it's not because of criticism, it's because of violating the NDA.

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 156 of 204
botman
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi Alfred,

You are absolutely right and I agree but it seems there's a first time for everything...

I'm aware of the NDA, this was most definitely not the case in the Showcase thread. There was a discussion between me and another forum-member regarding posting some examples. I've been working hard this week to get my work done but the other member got impatient with me which gave a bad feeling. Something personal I guess..

I've asked the Admin by PM why first my post has been edited and secondly the thread was closed so I couldn't post my response.

"I decided the thread was going no direction helpfull"

This decision gives me a feel of random censorship which renders me dissapointed. 

Maybe you can understand my point of view in this matter....

Message 157 of 204
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

I have not read anything about the other thread as I have not seen/read it.

So I don't know what happend there and so I don't argue now pro or con any admin-editing 😉

I just wanted to point out that if this post here get's edited or removed, it's definitly not because of criticism.

And ... I have seen forums with a lot more censorships compared to this forum here.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 158 of 204
botman

It's best for me to remain in silence...

Message 159 of 204
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> It's best for me to remain in silence...

That's definitly not what I wanted to reach.

Everyone here is welcome to ask questions about the products, everyone here is welcome to answer such questions.

Also if something goes wrong with the software/system, this is a good place to exchange valuable informations about that (and maybe workarounds as these helps others too).

I do not want you to be quiet or to not tell us your opinions and experiences! If you understood my message that way then please take my apologies for an incorrect (or unclear) wording.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 160 of 204
botman

Hi Alfred,

No stress...

I didn't read your answer as such, it was most correct, kind and not unclear at any point to me.

It's more for my own protection to remain in silence, so apologies are definitely not applicable nor needed. Smiley Happy

One closed thread is enough, the regulations in America differ from the one's in Europe, that's for sure!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost