Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD 2014 upgrading xref drawing file version

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
markkco
1589 Views, 13 Replies

AutoCAD 2014 upgrading xref drawing file version

I don't know if this "problem" is by design but it is causing great issues in collaboration.

I work with pople that have AutoCAD versions 2010, 2011, and 2012. We agreed that all our collaboration dwgs would be version 2010. When I change annotation scale in my drawing (having ANNOAUTOSCALE turned on) to update annotative objects to current scale, AutoCAD does this to xref drawings also, but aditionally upgrades xref dwg file version to 2013. My colleagues then can't open their own dwg files since they are upgraded to 2013 version.

Problem:

AutoCAD 2014 upgrading externally referenced drawing file version when automatically adding annotation scale to objects in main drawing.

When ANNOAUTOSCALE is turned on, AutoCAD automatically adds annotation scales for existing annotative objects, including annotative objects in xrefs. This means that AutoCAD must modify externally referenced drawings to add annotation scales to annotative objects. AutoCAD then modifies external DWG to latest supported version - 2013.

Is there an option to set AutoCAD to leave current version of externally referenced DWGs?

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
pendean
in reply to: markkco

May I ask why this variable can't be exclusively performed by a lower AutoCAD version users only? Goes along with you other well organized team decisions about your files.
Message 3 of 14
dmfrazier

"...but aditionally upgrades xref dwg file version to 2013."

Are you the 2013/14 user?  The only 2013/14 user?

If so, does setting your File Save As setting (Options, Open and Save tab) to 2010 version dwg not resolve the problem?

Message 4 of 14
markkco
in reply to: dmfrazier

I'm AutoCAD 2014 user, My File Save As setting is already set to AutoCAD 2010 Drawing. Additionally, when i hit qiocksave or save, my drawing gets saved as 2010 version, even if it is version 2013. So everything works as it should, only there's no option to adjust AutoCAD 2014 to leave dwg file version when updating annotation scales.
Message 5 of 14
markkco
in reply to: pendean

This would be the case if lower AutoCAD version users were familiar enough with annotation scales, and always remember to update their annotative objects. Since I need to have all annotation scaled objects displayed correctly, having ANNOAUTOSCALE turned off, often pops up incorrectly scaled object in some layout. Since Im the one selected for publishing I have to have that option turned on.
Message 6 of 14
dmfrazier

I can't think of any other option but to make it a habit to re-open and re-save the xrefs back down to 2010 version (until you can get the other users upgraded so you're all on the same version).

Message 7 of 14
markkco
in reply to: dmfrazier

Yep. That's what I'm doing all the time. Only having to open and save 10 xrefs on every change is very time consuming.
Message 8 of 14
dgorsman

As a work-around, you can use TrueView to batch-downsave large numbers of DWG files.  Not ideal, but can save some time.

As far as any settings which affect this - I think you may be SOL.  This operates in a similar fashion to DWTs and AEC content always being the "native" format of the current AutoCAD version.

Picking your battles is important, and getting everybody into the same release is a good one to invest in.  It prevents a *lot* of stress.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 9 of 14
pendean

Why don;t you automate the task for the lower-version users with a startup routine then? or build it into a button they always click, like PLOT. Or just train them instead of blaming them 🙂

Or if I may suggest, you move down a version and give up 2014 for someone else less capable that won't use the feature that breaks the files for everyone else.

A CAD Manager (or supervisor) knowe when to give up the shiny new product in order to remain productive with and for the entire team. if you al can't be in 2013-2014 together.

Speaking of which: you do know that Autodesk is moving AutoCAD to a subscription-only model starting Feb 2015, right? May be a good time for you all to decide to move together from now. Don't get caught March 2015 with a bid wad of cash to spend for a single seat, no upgrade discounts apply after that.
Message 10 of 14
SilverRey

I have some serious issues with Autocad Mechanical changing xrefs without my consent or demanding that the xrefs be upgraded when I save. When I am using an xref it is usually a dwg from another company. This is considered a legal document and the property of the other company. I should in no way be changing the dwg FOR ANY REASON because if I do I am taking ownership of the contents of that dwg. Surely there is a variable that can be turned off so that I am not changing someone else's file, or being told every single time that I close a dwg that uses a non-Mechanical xref that it needs to be upgraded.
Message 11 of 14
kadmonkee8

Sounds like a user may be saving files in the latest version.
As mentioned in previous replies set ALL users to 2010 format and all should be well regardless of the versions being used, unless multi view blocks or other proxy entities are causing the conflicts
Message 12 of 14
pendean
in reply to: SilverRey

AutoCAD never changes an XREF all on its own: you or someone in your team is using REFEDIT or tapping into and saving the file for you.

You and your team could probably benefit from an outside AutoCAD certified consultant to review your workflows. Your experience is self-inflicted sadly.

Good luck.
Message 13 of 14
GavinLW

It's pretty bad that you're blaming the user for this problem, when it is clearly an AutoCAD issue.  I'm having the same problem.  I'm running 2014, while the rest of the team is running 2010.  We are going to upgrade everyone soon enough, but until that happens, it would be nice if this wasn't an issue.  Here's my experience.  I'm only opening files in read-only mode for review.  If there are other AutoCAD files xreffed in, there's a good chance that when the 2010 users attempt to open that file, they are unable to, and are told it was created in a newer version.  The strangest part of this bug, however, is that the file itself doesn't appear to be being updated.  The last saved date on the 2010 file that is xreffed in does not change, but suddenly AutoCAD 2010 starts saying that it was created with a newer version of AutoCAD.

I'm definitely not saving anything, and not ref-editing anything.  All I'm doing is viewing the model that happens to contain x-refs.  I've also noticed that it doesn't always happen, and it appears that it's only happening to x-refs that happen to pass into the viewport.  If I open a file, but don't move around in the model much, and never see any given xref, that file will not get magically upgraded to 2014.

Message 14 of 14
kadmonkee8
in reply to: GavinLW

first, confirm all users have the same settings in the Options, Open and Save tab

if one user varies this issue will persist.

regardless of which version or flavor of AutoCAD (2010-2014) AutoCAD MEP or Architectural

it only takes one user to deviate in the settings.

Saveas.JPG

open the files (read only) and save as to the correct version and then xref those files into your working file and the issue should go away as long as ALL users have the same settings.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost