Did you mean: 

AutoCAD 2014 not saving work after multiple save commands before closing

18 REPLIES 18
Message 1 of 19
maxspeed3
6783 Views, 18 Replies

AutoCAD 2014 not saving work after multiple save commands before closing

Hello all,

A few people and myself at work have been having an issue lately where AutoCAD 2014 will not save changes to a drawing after multiple saves.

Here is my issue:

Last week I would be working on a drawing and during that time hitting the "CTRL+S" to save the file on our server. Doing so multiple times through out the work session. Before closing the file I will hit the save icon on the upper left corner and the save percent at the bottom will act as if it's working. Now this week I opened the file and the redlines that were picked up and saved are not there... It's as if the file was never changed, even though it was saved multiple times. 

This has happend on multiple projects over the last month or so... 

We have our server setup to back up every day at a certain time (midnight if I remember right). Also temp files are saved locally during the session on the C: drive of the computer. AutoSave is set to every 5 minutes.

Just curious if any one else has had a similar issue and if there is any fix. I want to get it resolved before I loose 8+ hours worth of work.

My computer has Windows 8 (not 8.1)

Co-workers computer with the same issue has 7

Thanks!

maxspeed3   

18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
rkmcswain
in reply to: maxspeed3

maxspeed3 wrote:

A few people and myself at work have been having an issue lately

So what changed in between the time it was working OK, and "lately"?

Yes, I have seen this when the server specs do not meet those published by Autodesk. Did your IS/IT people recently move your DWG files to a new server, or replace the server/storage location?

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 3 of 19
maxspeed3
in reply to: rkmcswain

This issue has been going on for about a month and a half now. 

I will ask our IT guy if anything on the server has been updated.

The storage location as not changed (maybe a software update). 

Message 4 of 19
maxspeed3

Nothing has been updated on our servers. I had our IT guy take a look at all of the backups for a particular file. Our sever backs up files every night. The file we looked into was last backed up a week prior to the last time it was worked on which doesn't make sense.

For example the last file save was 5-13-14 and the last backup of the file was recorded on 5-6-14. We checked all days from 5-13-14 to 5-16-14 and the backup file still had the 5-6-14 date even though it was worked on multiple times during those few days. 

Message 5 of 19
dgorsman

Something that has happened here is users have had IT restore files from backup, but either specify the wrong file/folder or replace the contents of an entire folder even though they only need a couple of files.  In a similar vein we've had users do that from their own "personal" backup files so they don't have to bother with IT.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 6 of 19
maxspeed3
in reply to: dgorsman

Nothing was ever changed for file paths. Our company has set folders for certain projects.  

Message 7 of 19
dgorsman

So do we.  BUT as I noted, we've had a user or three who have gone to IT or their own backups and ovewritten the wrong existing files with older versions.  The subsequent nightly backups from IT display odd time-date stamps similar to what you've noted.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 8 of 19
1Fabricator
in reply to: dgorsman

Hi,

Has anyone tried going to Control Panel, and 'Repairing' AutoCad? Then try using Save As and check all the settings in the pop up window.

I've found that using the "Repair" feature has fixted numerous temporary glitches in several of the cad formats that I've used.

Good Luck, L

Message 9 of 19
jeff_wetjen

We just started experiencing the same problem.....2015 with windows 8.1.

Have you been able to figure anything out on this?

Thanks.

Message 10 of 19
maxspeed3
in reply to: jeff_wetjen

Sorry nothing yet....

I'm also running 2015 now with 8.1 (after my computer updated itself to 8.1). I think I've somewhat narrowed it down to what is happening. I save the CAD file and part of the work we do is sending the CAD file over to another company to create structural drawings based on our CAD files. Before doing this I have always saved the original file multiple times through out the session (drawing logs also show multiple QSAVE commands). Before sending the CAD file to the other company I'll do a "save as" and rename the file something completely different but in the same "job folder" on our server and delete any unnecessary items in the file. Then I'll purge out the file erasing any unneeded layers, blocks, etc. then one last save and close the file.

You'd think all is well right? Wrong....

So this is when the issue begins. Usually the company creating the structural drawings takes 5 or so business days. After this time has passed I'll go to open the original file and it is usually back dated to whenever the last day I worked on it. Not the day it was last saved and renamed for the smaller CAD file to be sent on. For example when the file was created (sometimes a week prior) 11-01-14 and was saved as a completely new file name on 11-10-14, purged, sent over, and closed on that same day. When the other drawings are back and I open the original file in windows explorer where it has the "date modified" it will show 11-01-14 as if I had never worked on it on 11-10-14 even though it was worked on on that date, saved under a new file name. 

I've come to the conclusion if it is something with the autosave feature being overwritten when a pdf is being created. (Our default setup is every 10 minutes). I have gone into the options and have seen the "autosave" box not checked even though it is setup as a default item on our drawing template. I have also looked at the temporary log files where you can see all of the commands entered when a particular file was opened and they show QSAVE, but only for the original file, not the file on 11-10-14.

Not sure if this is a similar issue to what you're experiencing or not.

Sorry for the long response....still trying to figure out the problem.....  

Message 11 of 19
jeff_wetjen

That sounds exactly what is happening. I opened a file yesterday for a project that went out 8-29-14 and noticed the border date was 8-20-14 and after looking over the drawing I noticed that what I was looking at on the monitor was no where near my hard copy in my set. I quit the drawing and saw that the file I was looking at was last modified at the end of july. can't really afford to lose a month of work.

I haven't noticed anything about creating a pdf knocking off my autosave though.

thanks for the info....hope someone might be able to shed some light soon.

Message 12 of 19
maxspeed3
in reply to: jeff_wetjen

That is exactly the same thing that has happened to me now multiple times. The pdf that I sent shows all of the redlines changed and when the original file is opened nothing is there.... It's very strange.....

Good to know I'm not the only one with this issue! 

Message 13 of 19
jeff_wetjen

A likely culprit may be a Windows setting got changed somehow, maybe pushed out to all users which would explain why it’s happening to others. 

• In Windows, search for "manage offline files."  
  • Make sure that this is disabled; on the General tab, select “Disable offline files. 
  • You’ll want to check that on all local computers that are using Autodesk products and saving to the server.

Got this from Autodesk...will keep an eye on things to see if it solves it.

Message 14 of 19
cjenkins

We're having a similar problem - we're losing changes to saved files. An AutoCAD 2014 drawing was saved multiple times using qsave. The program crashed, and the backup file doesn't have any of the changes. In fact, the time on the backup file is twenty minutes after the drawing was last opened. We're using Windows 7.

Tags (1)
Message 15 of 19
bjm81
in reply to: cjenkins

I too have several users with this issue.

Its impossible to reproduce to figure out ifsomething isnt being clicked or saved in wrong spot. One user reported losing hours of work.

Message 16 of 19
kzabriskie

maxspeed3,

Stumbled across this post while researching an issue where Windows7/AutoCAD 2014 users are saving changes to adrawing but when they open the drawing up the changes are gone.  File date/time stamp on the file in windows is current but when they open it it's as if they're looking at an older version, the contents of the drawing reflect the file as-is 2 days ago.  

Did you ever discover cause and solution for this?

Z

Message 17 of 19
bjm81
in reply to: kzabriskie

No

Brenda
Message 18 of 19
rkmcswain
in reply to: kzabriskie

kzabriskie wrote:

Stumbled across this post while researching an issue where Windows7/AutoCAD 2014 users are saving changes to a drawing but when they open the drawing up the changes are gone.  File date/time stamp on the file in windows is current but when they open it it's as if they're looking at an older version, the contents of the drawing reflect the file as-is 2 days ago.  

"A" cause (emphasis on "A") can be a non-Microsoft O/S controlled network storage location. I've witnessed this many times. Anything change recently regarding your file storage?

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 19 of 19
jeff_wetjen
in reply to: rkmcswain

I posted this a while back and it seemed to correct the issue here for the moment.

A likely culprit may be a Windows setting got changed somehow, maybe pushed out to all users which would explain why it’s happening to others. 

• In Windows, search for "manage offline files."  
  • Make sure that this is disabled; on the General tab, select “Disable offline files. 
  • You’ll want to check that on all local computers that are using Autodesk products and saving to the server.

Got this from Autodesk...will keep an eye on things to see if it solves it.

Jeff

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost